peterkim2 is offline Find More Posts by peterkim2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
You're welcome Peter.

It's probably far from the perfect setup, but it's close enough for competition work. At least for me anyways and is an absolute pleasure to fly with these settings.

Tuomo is right about thermal camber and speed mode. If the lift is even noticeable, I've not really had to use camber much. I fly it clean. If there is absolutely no lift, then maybe 2-3mm to slow it down and float.

I love wrapping it at low altitudes and working lift 30-40ft off the ground. The Aspire excels in this area. Makes me look way better than I really am.

In speed, I've not had to worry much, but have only flown in about 15mph winds and no ballast, she is good enough even with no reflex.

Today was a sad day for my Aspire. I midair in the last round of the SC-2 contest and thought she was a complete lost. She went into a beautiful flat spin and by the time I recovered, I just barely cleared a fence to make an onfield landing. The skeg hit the fence and it sheared off.

Not too bad of damage, only one tip and boom broke couple inches behind wing. She'll fly again, and this gives me another reason to finish backup Aspire asap.

I need to stop writing about how I "just about have the ship dialed in". Seems like everytime I write this, I damage the plane .
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:04 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Dude, you have got to learn how to fly your gliders without making contact with other gliders. You must incorporate a more defensive (read Blue sky) flying style into your strategies. There is never a need to be so close to another glider that you might actually hit.

So, I am staying away from you that is for sure. Thanks for the warning :-)

Sorry to hear about your air to air contact.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
There was no blue sky yesterday so it was impossible to implement said policy.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Dude, you have got to learn how to fly your gliders without making contact with other gliders. You must incorporate a more defensive (read Blue sky) flying style into your strategies. There is never a need to be so close to another glider that you might actually hit.
Usually the midair happens when you least expect. Does this mean that the safest strategy is to try hitting others all the time
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:57 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post

So, I am staying away from you that is for sure. Thanks for the warning :-)

Sorry to hear about your air to air contact.

Mike
Yeah no kidding Mike. When it happened, he and I were the only ones in the area. No one else was even close. I was just cruising along in a straight and level attitude, but was scanning around for any signs of lift. By the time I scanned back to my plane, it went crunch.

We hit almost head on, almost 180 in opposite direction. You'd think the impact would be more tip to tip, but nope, my tip hit is center panel right at the fuse joint. How does that happen with the dihedral .
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,421 Posts
Yep, this one was to be expected. Both planes at same elevation, level flight, opposite headings and approaching nose-on. I happened to be watching and actually called it several seconds before it happened. Really sad...two nice planes whacked.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Tuan,
I am really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Mike was trying to help you. Flying F3J has taught me to fly Blue Sky, between me and the others trying to use the same thermal. and purposely leaving lift or descend to keep from whacking someone. If you are not in a position to tighten it up and out climb them, descend to a lower postion. If you need parts let me know, I might have something coming. Hang in there, missing Tuesday lunch and fly sessions. Going to Germany for a trade show tomorrow, in Istanbul until 4-12.
Larry

To Smoking Joe I know you are lurking out there. They have Krispy Kremes in Istanbul now. I broke Philip in and he is hooked!
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Tuan,
I am really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Mike was trying to help you. Flying F3J has taught me to fly Blue Sky, between me and the others trying to use the same thermal. and purposely leaving lift or descend to keep from whacking someone. If you are not in a position to tighten it up and out climb them, descend to a lower postion. If you need parts let me know, I might have something coming. Hang in there, missing Tuesday lunch and fly sessions. Going to Germany for a trade show tomorrow, in Istanbul until 4-12.
Larry

To Smoking Joe I know you are lurking out there. They have Krispy Kremes in Istanbul now. I broke Philip in and he is hooked!
HHHHMMMMmmmmmmmmmm Warm DOOONNNNuuuutttttssss

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:07 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Tuan,
Larry

Hi Larry, no problem on parts. Doesn't look like I will need any yet. Looks to be a typical repair of boom and tip strike. But thank you for letting us know of availability. Now I might be a little more reckless with it .

On her performance, had I been able to make time and get the typical Aspire landing, could have been 1-2 finish right behind Tom Watson there, who btw, was perfect in time on 2 flights and just 1 second under in 3rd flight!

I am consistently 2-4 seconds late... need to initiate the "u-turn" 1-2 seconds earlier. Have a great trip!

Tuan
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:55 AM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
276 Posts
Hi

I checked my Aspire settings today and as usual there is a variance from others.

CG 120mm Hook as far back as the slot allows
Movements much the same as Tuan except
slightly less ail rudder mix and I run about 2:1 ail diff . snap flap on all the time but in smaller increments than yours, max about 2.5mm.

What difference do you notice,without the aileron differential ? I would appreciate any comment on this.

I must try it when I can get out to fly.
I find this plane so easy to fly and my setting changes dont seem to harm it one bit.
One difference could be flying style, on the occasions I drop the camber I also speed it up again by putting in a bit of down trim. I am more comfortable with keeping the speed up in our frequently turbulent weather conditions.
I do notice that the local Supras can maybe turn a bit tighter but they cannot come back from waaay downwind nearly as well. The L/D on the Aspire is amazing.
Today wind is 15/16 mph gusting to 34mph on my meter.Strong gusts can happen on calmer days too, so a plane with a great L/D is very helpful.
Getting caught on the launch with one of these gusts equals broken winch line and a long hike to get your parachute back !
Tuan good luck with the repair.
Ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Ian,
Less differential will offer more air time in dead air as it helps the float. I am have not seen that in Scotland but advise you to fly the Aspire to your taste. If you cannot circle with a Supra try some snap flap, start with 3 mm for full up deflection. I fly cruise at 0 TE drop and float with 3mm drop. Full elevator deflection add 3mm to the above. Becareful with rudder to aileron mix. The rudder on the Aspire is very powerfull, so it is EZ to over use it and noticeably slow your climb rate in a thermal. I mix on the light side and add rudder if I need it. Good luck with the Aspire it is a great performing glider. Larry Jolly
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:36 AM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
276 Posts
hi Larry,
Thanks I will try the lower diff, although "dead air" is not often seen here.
My rudder mix is low as I use my thumb on the rudder a bit.
The snap flap setting is about twice what I am using at present so I will give that a go as well.
many thanks
Ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:12 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Hi Ian, this ampunt of rudder mixed in is the actual amount I noticed was needed for coordinated thermaling. It can only be an aproximation because it depends on any variables. I have rudder mixed in on a switch that gives this amount, 1/2 this amount and zero amount.

I try to correlated the amount of movement with the left thumb when the switch is off so eventually I will be able to tell how much rudder is needed without the switch on when far, far away when I can barely tell which way the plane is flying.

With differential, I did fly with some in the very beginning and what I noticed was that the plane was not as responsive on ail as it is now. I like it with no diff, it is very responsive and I rarely need to move the ail sticks past 25% now and feel I can keep up with any plane in any thermal.

I'm heading out to do some Aspire testing with backup, report back later.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:18 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,403 Posts
Quote:
Less differential will offer more air time in dead air as it helps the float.
Hmmm.. I do not quite get it... When floating, most directional steering is anyway with rudder, so aileron settings are not that critical.

But in general I agree with the advice of having little less aileron differential. Aspire has kind of slow ailerons, and aileron up movement is also little limited. Flying with less differential mekes it more responsive. I also use some ail-flap mix, so it not an issue.

BTW When talking about the tow hook location, remeber that in new x-fuses the hook assembly is moved back about 1 cm. In old fuse I have tow hook almost as far back as it goes, in new fuselages it is in the middle of the slot.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo