SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
By the time I got to 7 grade however, I was in honors reading class due to... get this... reading 1960-70's R/C Modeler magazine that a neighbor threw away over the previous couple years.
Wow, all I ever did was look at the girls on the cover!!!
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
I wished I had kept those magazines. I probably had a total of 15 or so from 1964-1976. I can recall Hobby Lobby ads from back then and was it Standard Hobby?

Also remember seeing ads for radios and how much they cost ( over the 1k mark) and thinking, man if they were that much back in the 60's, they must be in the 2-3k now which was 1980's at the time and that no way would I ever be able to afford one.

I must have had some soaring blood in me then too, cuz I actually tried to build some small V-tail glider as it was one of the few full-size planes printed right in one of those issues.

Anyone have access to 60-70's RCM? Would love to know what that sailplane was.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2004
103 Posts
apage is offline Find More Posts by apage
Last edited by apage; Jun 15, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:13 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apage View Post

I am not sure. Every now and then I think about that time period and get curious about what it was I tried to build. I never did finish the build... ran out of wood.

I have looked through the RCM plans and their archives in the past and can't say which v-tail model it was. I just know that the model was printed as a full size plan in the magazine.

I also believe that in the plans, it also detailed a mechanical mixer to use the v-tail... now I probably won't be able to stop thinking about this.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:50 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
OK, looks like I have one of those on loan as a spare model for the F3J worlds coming up. Anyone game to send me some good settings, particularly launch and camber setups? I hear 118mm is a good CG?
Thanks, Les.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Currently have one of mine set at 119mm CG, the other at 121-122mm and still more testing to do on further back. I have flown one set at 125mm and it behaved nicely.

Launch camber 9-10mm measured at flap root. Float/thermal camber 2-3mm, with ~2mm elevator-camber coupling. Hook nearly all the way back (can't recall the measurement, but it's at or even a bit behind the static CG).

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
OK, looks like I have one of those on loan as a spare model for the F3J worlds coming up. Anyone game to send me some good settings, particularly launch and camber setups? I hear 118mm is a good CG?
Thanks, Les.
I think I have mine dialed in pretty good. I'll take measurements this weekend and report back. Can't be absolutely sure were cg is. If I had to guess it would be at 119mm.

What radio are you using? I am sure one of the Aspire pilots can even send you his radio setups.

On another note, I just started building Aspire LT and since the ballast tube is not installed in this one, I have decided to use this model as my test bed for gathering data, so needing to get her ready asap, no RDS.

I did modified the servo tray so it will accomodate an Eagle Tree telemetry system though. Should be fun times ahead to either confirm or rethink some assumptions.
T
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:11 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
I'm using the Futaba 12FG.
Just to make it harder the guy offered me other models out of his fleet today. Hmm, the Aspire, Xplorer, Icon2 or Perfect ET?
The Icons out, it wont fit my box to travel across the world with, and the Xplorer was bought early last year so I fear it might have the weak joiner box problem they had for a while, although I have a wireless fibre optic camera we use for looking into aero engine at work I can use to inspect the wing from the inside.
So I'm pretty much choosing between the Aspire and the Perfect ET for an early morning light conditions model, I have 2 full carbon Supra for the rest of the contest that are well dialled in. If you have flown both, what would you use?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
So I'm pretty much choosing between the Aspire and the Perfect ET for an early morning light conditions model, I have 2 full carbon Supra for the rest of the contest that are well dialled in. If you have flown both, what would you use?
Even though I love my Aspires, and fly them in all conditions, I wonder why you do not just pick a light version of Supra for morning rounds? Both planes float well, but Supra turns better in small thermals.

I do not know exactly what is the benefit of having ET tips in Perfect. It would be interesting to know more about the design ideas... Last summer Germans reported that performance difference in floating performance is marginal. Most elected to fly the normal version.

Maybe perfect ET tips enchace distance performance? At least when we compare Aspire and normal Pike Perfect, Aspire - with its longer span - seems to come home little better.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
I did modified the servo tray so it will accomodate an Eagle Tree telemetry system though. Should be fun times ahead to either confirm or rethink some assumptions.
T
Great, something else to distract you from focusing on landing practice.

C
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Quote:
Aspire.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2003
62 Posts
Aspire throws

thanks Tuan,

Looking forword to seeing your set-up too.

Peterkim2
peterkim2 is offline Find More Posts by peterkim2
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:59 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,346 Posts
Ok, I just measured my CG, throws and other settings. This is latest with tweaks from last Sunday. It's a long one so sorry if you fall asleep while reading this .

My CG is at 117.75 measured 1 inch from side of fuse. For corresponding Ele trim, if you trace the top of the ele, right where it ends at the"v" cutout, it is 130mm from there vertically down to bottom of fuse.

For flaps and ail settings, I measured with the protruding end of a digital caliper.

Launch: I have FLAPS at 14mm and AIL in line, this equates to about 13 degrees.

Zoom: FLAPS are reflexed 2.2mm and AIL in line, this is about 2 degrees. Incidently, this also results in a "flat bottom" when a straight edge is placed along the bottom of the wing.

Note: when I am in zoom speed mode, during the pull up, my flaps will go to 4mm max of camber at 1/2 stick( linear mix) and stays at that max even if more up ele is given. So that is a wing trailing edge travel of about 6.2mm total in the pull out from reflex to max "snap flap". This is where it would be nice to have the speeds of all the control surfaces in sync. Choose servos wisely ... almost impossible to get them exact, but one can get it close.

I don't have additional reflex mixed in with down ele if I am in zoom speed mode.

Also my towhook is not optimized yet. It is exactly where it came from the factory. Which is about 1/2 way between the slots.

Cruise:
Wing in section:
Full up gives camber of 3.3mm along whole TE of wing, but full camber is already achieved with just 1/2 ele stick movement. Curve is linear and flattens out once 3.3mm is reached.

Down ele gives 2.3mm max reflex along TE of wing with max reflex reached with just 1/2 down stick.

With AIL stick at 30%:
FLAPS up/down 5mm at root.
AIL at FLAP/AIL junction is 4.9mm higher than FLAPS.
AIL at tips are 4.15mm up 4.0mm down.
My radio actually has a little reverse diff in it from when I tried to get even up/down ail movement as I try to run zero diff. But it's hard as heck to try and get this part perfect while trying to maintain same speed deployment.
Rudder mixed with reverse expo = 16mm which is about 12 degrees.
According to video with yaw string, this results in a slight slip most of the time, but it could be because the string is in the nose and not over the wings. I need more video and time to get this close.

With AIL sticks at 100%
Flaps up/dowm 13mm
AIL 12mm higher than flaps at the flap/ail junction
AIL at tip is 10.5mm
Rudder is mixed about 28mm

Thermal mode:
I have camber variable on slider, but also on a switch that's fixed at 2mm with the slider in neutral. With switch on and slider between neutral and reflex, it gives 1mm camber. Switch on and slider 1/2 way between neutral and camber gives 3mm. Switch on and full slider camber gives 4mm.

Snap flap in thermal mode:
Additional camber is mixed in with up ele input only to max of 4mm. In other words, if I have 2mm of camber already, up ele may give additional 2mm of camber.
Reflex is mixed in to give max of 2.2mm so if I am in camber of 2mm, 1/2 down ele will also move TE of wing 4.2mm to result in 2.2mm of reflex.

Speed mode:
Reflex on switch gives 1.1mm TE reflex with slider able to contribute additional 1.1mm.

AIL throws are the same with rudder mixed 13mm at 30% ail sticks and 26mm
at 100% ail sticks.

I forgot to measure ele throws, but they are the same for all flight modes and pretty much max movement allowed with outside hole of shorter JR cross arm.

The reason I don't have lower rates in any of the flight modes is because when I flip on any of the flight modes, I do not want ele to change if I am holding sticks in same position.

I think I have most of the settings covered. If I forget anything, I'll add to this later. I may also draw up the various angles for easier understanding.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have flaps coupled to ail in all modes the same amount. Ail moves about 2:1 of flaps.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Mar 21, 2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:39 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
I have very similar setting with fnnwizard. There are some small differences like snapflap only in launch mode, CG at 115mm and much less ail->rudder mix. I must also admit, I have not measured my settings to the tenth of a millimeter. I think it just not matter

Aspire basic settings are very easy to find. What is difficult is to fully understand how to fly this plane in allround conditions. Aspire is not only a sperfoater. It's biggest asset is actually the very strong structure and long legs in distance mode.

I have flown Aspire since early 2007. During these years my flying style has changed to much smoother. I play less with flap camber than with earlier HQ/W planes. With Aspire I trust on wings ability to produce lift when flown at little faster airspeeds. Very ofter in weak conditions I have 2mm camber dialled in, but as air gets normal, I do 90% of flights with neutral trailing edge. For floating I use 4mm camber. I also have 6mm setting but is never used.

For launch I use similar camber as fnnwizard. In high winds I start with less camber, about 6mm at root. This is to accelerate faster. Camber is not actually that critical as long as plane is launched properly and with high tension. In 2008 Turkey WC started to one morning round with normal mode in tx, no camber at all. Stupid mistake but lauch was actually better than the next guy

In the years flying Aspire, I have also learned to use ballast more than before. With reflex settings Aspire can flown in moderately strong winds, but there is no reason to struggle. Using 2-4-6-8 slugs of ballast makes flying much more efforless and stable. Consider reflex and the last resort, if wind pics up suddenly and you in difficulties to get back home.

Still too early start season 2010 for me, too much snow here in Finland But when the flying starts, I will work to learn to fly Aspire better in high winds. In light winds and floating conditions Aspire is dead-easy... I have a new C68 double carbon Aspire coming, Lubos just mailed he has finished it, and I have the feeling that it will become the workhorse to flown in 5m/s winds and above.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
Thanks for the very detailed info guys.
That will help a long way toward getting it dialled in quick. The reason I'm not going for a light Supra is purely $$. I only made the team as an alternate last week after one of the others had to withdraw, so I have a little over 3 months to get sorted, waiting for a new model to arrive and paying for it just isnt in the time or $ budget. This is ready built and flying, I can get my hands on it next week and start sorting it out to my liking.
So long as I don't damage it it doesn't cost me a thing, except maybe a bottle of whisky for the owner.