SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by davebd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:57 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
Sold
POWERFUL 12V 30 Amps Power Supply for chargers - SLIM & LIGHT FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING!

An awesome unit!

Slim and light, provides 12v @ 30 Amps, and extremely reliable, as it was originally designed for high end servers that work 24/7.

Already sold a few at my field, and we’re all very happy with it.

Can be used indoors or outdoors, with input voltage 100-240v and provides a very accurate voltage, even during high current drawing.

Unit has a fan, switch, and a power plug connector.

dimensions:
size - 8x3.9x1.5 inches
weight - 1.12 lbs

Price is $45, and includes S/H in the US. Includes the unit, and the right connector so you can easily hook it up to your chargers.
Quantity discount available (2 and up).

Please email me with any questions you may have or paypal to get your unit – dudibd@gmail.com (better than PM, since i get it on my blackberry).

Thanks for looking, AND PLEASE CHECK THE RATINGS I GOT FOR THIS PRODUCT, here, on runryder and on RC-Universe!

Below are pics of the unit, sticker on it, the connector i provide, and my field box based on this unit (-:

David.
davebd is offline Find More Posts by davebd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:13 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Trader Rating: 95
This is an AWESOME product. Stop trying to jerry-rig pc power supplies. This is more cost effective, more powerful, and short proof (ask me how I know )

-One very happy customer, contemplating ordering a second unit!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:20 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
Hi,
thanks for the feedback, i'm happy it worked well for you like it did to all of us...
take care and happy flying,
david.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
Are these modified in some way to work as a supply for charger?
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetro
Are these modified in some way to work as a supply for charger?
Yes, he has bridged one connection with a jumper, and that is it. The thing has a very smart fan that adjusts its speed in conjuction with the demands of the supply... i.e. it spins noticeably faster when you are pulling more amps from the system. Although I did not purchase the charger with wires, you can purchase a plug that fits into the output port of the supply, with wires coming out of it (i.e. a pigtail) from any computer store. I had one laying around and just used that. I have pulled over 25amps, with no heating up and no problems. I am selling the kool-aid here, because I have modified three power supplies to use my charges. I had two of them short out with very audible bangs. I did follow online instructions, and believe I did an excellent job modifying the supplies.... I stopped doing that for fear of setting my home a-blaze, and instead opted for this very convenient, very compact, (and needlessly elegant) power supply. Cannot recommend it enough.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:58 PM
Usual suspect.
St. Louis MO
Joined Feb 2007
929 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
Yea, these are pretty nice units. I installed mine into a Makita drill case (one of the cool looking silver boxes).
I put it in the bottom of the box, made an intake tube/hole in the side of the box and mounted the A/C plug end flush with the other side of the box. I covered it with 1/4" Lexan and that is what the 2 Cellpro's sit on.
I drilled holes in the Lexan to allow the cooling fan's air to escape... the holes are where the lipo's lay while being charged.
(Edit - Scratch the holes in the Lexan... went with a side exhaust)
dashunde is offline Find More Posts by dashunde
Last edited by dashunde; Mar 07, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
30 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Another very happy customer!!!

I too purchased one from him, but I made my purchase on RCU. I am exremely happy and these are a fraction of the price you would pay to have a sticker/brand name on yours. I am running three Turnigy chargers with no problem. I do have one question for any others out there that has one. Are you mounting your power supply anywhere or just using it as it came?

Very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 grins from me!!
joe0298 - rccrazee is offline Find More Posts by joe0298 - rccrazee
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Trader Rating: 60
Can you elaborate on what the "connector" is that you supply with the unit? Is it a banana jack or ???
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:50 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
hi,
the connector is the one you see in the picture above. it goes into the unit where it provides the 12v @30A. it has 4 sets of plus and minus pins, you can then solder sires to those pins and then either connect directly to your chargers' wires, or to a female banana plug, up to you.
hope that helps. let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks,
david.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Trader Rating: 60
Just one other question. In some of the articles about converting PC power supplies they mention that you have to put a dummy load on a switching power supply in order to keep it on. Is that required here, and if so, have you already done it?
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socomon
Just one other question. In some of the articles about converting PC power supplies they mention that you have to put a dummy load on a switching power supply in order to keep it on. Is that required here, and if so, have you already done it?

Yes, this is a higher end unit, not for personal computer but for servers. What is unique, is that you only need to set 1 jumper to get it work, so instead of using a sandbar to put a dummy load, you place one jumper in, and you are done... the seller has already done that for you. What he does not highlight, is the this unit HAS A POWER SWITCH.

You do not need to unplug it to turn it off.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:01 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Trader Rating: 201
power supply

David Payment sent

KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:41 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Power Supply

Payment sent

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Feb 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Usual suspect.
St. Louis MO
Joined Feb 2007
929 Posts
Can anyone tell me where/how to get 5v out of it?
I found 7v in the left sides of the two smaller plugs and I also found 5v in the tiny little pins sticking up next to the 12v plug - is that the one I'm looking for?
I'd like to put several LED's around the Lexan.
See the pics to get an idea of what I'm up to...
dashunde is offline Find More Posts by dashunde
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2006
7 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
I'll Take one......Paypal sent
CIJI is offline Find More Posts by CIJI
Closed Thread