HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:14 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
update re: airspace /roomspace & birds

After finally (I do hope!) convincing my active young (not yet 6-mos. old) bird that micro 4-ch helis are not good for his health (and sure he also found out for himself), he's now found a smart way to fly "with" them >

He flies diametrically (180) opposite to them, as they circle, keeping a whole room's-width away, while flying thus in "formation" with them!

Clever, cool & funny ....!

Or, if the heli is zooming diagonally across the room on a high path, he flies on a low path, passing well clear underneath it in the opposite direction .... like fullsize AIR TRAFFIC rules!

He whistles with joy and says, "Go, Go!" as he so does.

With a 3-yr old human's understanding of my intentions & words ("Stay away from the heli! .... it's a 'Bad Boy' "), he has found a logical non-conflicting way (he is a Libra Rabbit w/a Horse [Go, Go!] asc.) to combine that with HIS own "let's fly together" intention.

OK, his species has had 85 million years to work out socially & environmentally adaptive effective behavioural strategies ....

[Homo Sapiens may well not be around long enough to do similarly]

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
NOW, super-Star has become brave enough to do close R/C heli flyby's >
first, she'd wait till the TZ-1 was revved up, still in my hand and obviously NOT going anywhere .... then she'd buzz it.

Finally she made a close pass (her wings/ body almost touching it!) over it. I am sure she felt the strong downdraft (these birds can sensitively spot the air current from a cracked-open window 2 rooms away!). So she landed, turned and then immediately flew almost as close UNDER it!

Screaming happily (bravely? proudly?) all the while. Then convinced of her prowess and perhaps with nothing more dangerous to prove, she flew AROUND it, at the same level ....

Anyway, since she's already knocked Kiki off his hangglider 2 times with DIRECT body contact (like Knights jousting/"Ttlting"), and is concentrated on racing him when he's circling on it (it's then tethered & whipped around by me, but under his "up/down" control: we do free-flying landing practice after!), trying to fly in front of it so she can "win", I am happier when she plays daredevil with the tiny helis (she at least knows not to contact them!).

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
The birds love chasin' my UMX Beast around. I scared them away with my 42" Slick after one grabbed my Beast in flight... That was fun . The birds in my neighborhood hate my 33" EPP Extra too...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,809 Posts
So far red tail hawks are always the ones to have a go at my stuff. My Sbach on it's maiden got attacked, my MCPX has been investigated, and just the other day my friend's Apprentice 15e was being attacked.. Got that one on video - watch it in HD and full screen to see it well. You can see one hawk take a dive at it.

James crashing his Apprentice 15e on it's maiden voyage. (1 min 48 sec)
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
When I lived in Nashville, a male Redtail would fly from his roost on a nearby hill whenever he saw my car coming. Then he would circle as his "friend", an 8ft span Hobie Hawk sailplane with a very red tail, would come out if its box in the trunk and get assembled, and he keep on circling as the high-start got laid out

Finally, the live hawk and the R/C one would fly in formation in thermals and play around in the sky.

Note 1: I am a skilled and experienced sailplane pilot, so once launched, in thermally TN, on any given launch I had an 80% chance of an hour+ flight, so long as I kept the plane above 600 ft.

Note 2: Middle TN is a Raptor Flyway, and most of them, passing through, are extremely NON-territorial [once a passing Gold Eagle pair, in tight formation, joined the thermal circle, still in their pair formation, with one of my larger sailplanes for one circuit before continuing on their journey]. This young male Redtail lived there, but followed the same non-aggressive "rules". The locals flying powered R/C airplanes were often NOT nice to my young friend [he started coming out if he thought a red powered plane was mine], but he was a far better flier and was always able to easily evade their adolescent stupidity [I mean, THESE raptors were friendly!].

Lee
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Ultra-micro airplanes are bird magnet, and the best one in my fleet is my ultra-micro Mustang from Parkzone. It's mostly gray and about the same size as a bird. This video is from 2 years ago. Many more attacks since then! And still flying.

Parkzone UM Mustang P-51 VS BIRDS! (2 min 35 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Birds are smart little creatures. There was a crow sitting right in the middle of the grass field. Wanting to see what it'll do I buzzed my micro P-51 over him. The crow a second before the mustang got him, jumped into the near by bush! Never thought he would do that. He must have known my micro mustang at that moment had the altitude and speed advantage over him on the ground.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
the plane in this video has a 9 inch span and weighed around 11 grams. i think the bird was a few pounds, as it was a bird of prey!
RC CLG V2 - Bird Attack! (1 min 8 sec)
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Birds are smart little creatures. There was a crow sitting right in the middle of the grass field. Wanting to see what it'll do I buzzed my micro P-51 over him. The crow a second before the mustang got him, jumped into the near by bush! Never thought he would do that. He must have known my micro mustang at that moment had the altitude and speed advantage over him on the ground.
Scientists discovered a few years ago that the most intelligent birds [Aves has been reclasified as a sub-species of warm-blooded hollow-boned meat-eating feathered dinosaurs, although it is now known that even vegetarian dinos were warm-blooded and feathered: sorry Mr. Spielberg] are much smarter than the most intelligent Apes, though certainly not all birds are smart, mainly only the ones that evolved having to make flight plans amongst thick trees and to know and remember who and where friends and enemies are [waterfowl can SEE all that].

Lee
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Well it's happened to me, nothing that crazy just mostly curiosity. I don't recall what birds or airplane but I have alot of the micro stuff (ember, t28 um, Mustang, Sukhoi) Sometimes I will flip around and chase them. It's fun but never have hit any of them.

Aero Ace vs 4 year old (1 min 45 sec)
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:27 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
What a fun thread! Thank you for sharing these stories guys. I haven't had any experiences like these.....YET!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
Big Bird, Little Bird

When smart little Kiki was 4 mos. old, one evening he very intently watched a TV docu about wolves in Kazakhstan killing far too many cows. Twenty locals organized a wolf hunt, riding their ponies, each man carrying a HUGE golden eagle, which were even bigger than the one in the video below.

Kiki saw 2 such eagles easily take down a very large wolf. The next day, watching me bring out a warm spinach quiche [his favourite], he literally pounced on it, spread his wings over it [NOT even slightly normal for such a non-predatory bird as Kiki: the process is called "mantling" by falconers!] and exactly made the eagle-cry !!

Clever soul ....

Lee

[note: it actually was an eagle, not a vulture as first claimed in this video]

Amazing video: Vulture rams paraglider mid-air, both survive (1 min 49 sec)

Kiki Flying with R/C Avitron in Mall (0 min 12 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,352 Posts
i like ttake the micro t28 way up high and play with the circling buzzards. its fun to see them flap away . i would never try it with my big t28 though. dont want carnage for either the plane or birds.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:12 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i like ttake the micro t28 way up high and play with the circling buzzards. its fun to see them flap away . i would never try it with my big t28 though. dont want carnage for either the plane or birds.
The "vulture" which took down the paraglider in the video in Post #86 above, was an eagle! Buzzards [vultures] are far more shy.

Lee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
Note:

"Raptors are protected by both state and federal laws, and harassing, trapping, killing, or even possessing bones or feathers without the proper permits can result in large fines. Raptors are territorial, and moving a bird to another area may cause it to fight with the current occupants or just fly back using its excellent sense of direction. Most problems are short-term and can be resolved with tolerance or a few small changes. Learning about raptors is the best way to understand how to live with them." > http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_raptors.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
When smart little Kiki was 4 mos. old, one evening he very intently watched a TV docu about wolves in Kazakhstan killing far too many cows. Twenty locals organized a wolf hunt, riding their ponies, each man carrying a HUGE golden eagle, which were even bigger than the one in the video below.

Kiki saw 2 such eagles easily take down a very large wolf. The next day, watching me bring out a warm spinach quiche [his favourite], he literally pounced on it, spread his wings over it [NOT even slightly normal for such a non-predatory bird as Kiki: the process is called "mantling" by falconers!] and exactly made the eagle-cry !!

Clever soul ....

Lee

[note: it actually was an eagle, not a vulture as first claimed in this video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sqIkYcrlxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wWEPG_W0xA
Last edited by xlcrlee; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,352 Posts
i love raptors so i would never try to hurt them. just messing around. i have many red tails near my house and love to hear them cry as they soar around. its the sound of freedom. i would never fly close enough to hit one. as you said the buzzards just fly away a hawk or eagle will attack in quite a different way. my local water resouivor has a ton of bald eagles at all times. its great to see our countrys symbol so often where i live.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd