SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishydonut View Post
is it munching on one of those honey seed treats? that hang glider pic is amazing!
He is no more nor less an "it" than you or I ....! [I can remember when small children were called "it" in English].

In the photo he's snacking on a stalk of millet (he doesn't like sweets). But he mostly eats normal vitamined Budgie/parakeet seed-mix, plus meat, fish, fresh basil, spinach, etc. And the occasional pizza. Also quality dark chocolate icecream and Starbuck's Coffee of the Week (sans [w/o] sugar & cream, natch): it puts him to sleep [trees invented coffee and cacao beans for the birds, etc., NOT for us!]

Kiki's friend,
Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
252 Posts
wasn't sure the gender. missed the "he" reference.
squishydonut is offline Find More Posts by squishydonut
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
That's very interesting, Lee. Coffee puts Kiki to sleep and keeps me awake.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That's very interesting, Lee. Coffee puts Kiki to sleep and keeps me awake.
Yeah, I thought it was weird, too. But I've since discovered that coffee has the same "sleepy" effect on ~20% of us humans. Not me. B.t.w., caffein is also a muscle stimulant and very good for fighting a cold, in fact a common ingredient in many cold medicines (viruses "want" your metabalism to slow down; coffee helps speed it up, and HEAT is what helps defeat viruses!).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:29 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Here's a link to an interesting article about coffee and exercise:

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/articles...rts/03greg.txt

It seems to work for me. I always seem to do better during a workout if I've had a little caffeine beforehand.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:48 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
plane coffee

But .... getting back to the Forum topic of R/C planes .... it does lead to overly nervous, twitchy, un-calm fingers ....
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Flying my yard bird with my cam on I got footage of a hawk I was photographing (at long range)... not great but u can see him.
drew1231 is offline Find More Posts by drew1231
Last edited by drew1231; Dec 23, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1231 View Post
Flying my yardbird with my cam on I got footage of a hawk I was chasing... not great but u can see him.
1. "he" is most likely a SHE, since the females are ~40% larger.

2. It's a good thing that she's a much better pilot/flier than YOU, since it's very much against the law (FEDERAL CRIME!) to harrass a raptor! BIG fines if you're caught or reported!
[EDIT: I couldn't see the video clearly, and misinterpreted what you meant! Sorry. However, the "Rednecks" in Middle Tenn. OFTEN tried to hit the Redtails with gas-powered R/C planes.... but the hawks easily evaded or outmaneuvered them, using sudden stops, super-wild snap rolls or dives!]

I had a Redtail Hawk (with Tenn. State permission), and am quite informed on this particular subject by very experienced falconers as well as Federal and State Willdlife Officers.

I mention the above because this is a public forum with many readers (nothing personal, sure!).

Lee
Last edited by xlcrlee; Dec 24, 2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:16 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
A Hawk's Tale (w/ apologies to Chaucer)

When I used to live in Middle Tennessee (which is a raptor flyway: lots of thermals and nice things for them to eat!), one male Redtail took a fancy to my red-tailed Hobie Hawk high-performance R/C sailplane and when he'd see my car would fly out from his hill and circle overhead till his friend came out of the trunk, got assembled and came up to join him. This happened throughout an entire season, and we showed off and amiably played together for several hours total accumulated thermal time.

Then in the fall someone asked me to test his new sailplane which also happened to have a red tail. As I cored out in a thermal, the bird shot out to the plane, seemed to strike it and something fell down. The startled owner ran off after the slowly tumbling object, shouting that the hawk had knocked off the plane's canopy. Several minutes later he returned, not with the canopy, but with a heavy elliptical leaf with a perfect talon hole where my feathered friend had plucked the leaf (it came from trees only growing on the hill where the bird stayed) and gallantly/playfully presented it to the glider that was obviously too stupid and inept to catch it! There were many witnesses. My falconry and Wildlife expert contacts told me they knew of eagles playing "catch a fly is up" with sticks and a hole in the ice as target, but the easy to catch tumbling leaf trick could be common for these hawks, just never noticed, since NO hawk could miss such a target....and they played their game HIGH up.

I noted that if this had happened in Biblical times it would have been considered a "sign". As it was, months later when I was in Aspen renting a place from an electrician, one of his customers called and left a message, saying for him to call Annie Denver. I'd been thinking about John's cute "OH, God!" film, got the dumb idea that I had a message for John (re: world peace instead of his selfishness [you know, hawks, war, that kind of thing]), called the number and was amazed that John said he was expecting that message.

Back to the fall. The sailplane and the redtail continued upwards and were joined by more redtails. Jump to the spring. A friend had just returned from a John Denver concert in Atlanta and I asked him if it was any good. He said it was, but that the funny thing was that at the end of the concert John talked about world peace for 45 min. I asked how that went over and was told the audience liked it even better than the concert!

True story (many witnesses). Don't know what happened to the hawks or plane afterwards (the flight ended nicely), but the leaf is somewhere.

Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Just to clarify, I was flying when he came over to see my plane, I stayed very far away and was taking video of him, not trying to ram him.
drew1231 is offline Find More Posts by drew1231
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:02 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
I had a Redtail Hawk (with Tenn. State permission), and am quite informed on this particular subject
Please post papers.... and post the servos and flight controls you used for the hawk...
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1231 View Post
Just to clarify, I was flying when he came over to see my plane, I stayed very far away and was taking video of him, not trying to ram him.
COOL! Understood (I couldn't see the video clearly because the server yetserday at this public Internet place was screwy).

Thanks for the clarification! And for providing an accidental opportunity to publicize what I'd posted (now edited).

Lee
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:17 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexserve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
I had a Redtail Hawk (with Tenn. State permission), and am quite informed on this particular subject
Please post papers.... and post the servos and flight controls you used for the hawk...
It was an orange Kraft 3-ch brick in the red-tailed Hobie Hawk in which the red-tailed male bird was enamoured (and HE was serving the sailplane).
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:49 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
Over the last 20+ years I have experienced many bird strikes. So many that I have become slightly paranoid that they may be out to get me. Most were red wing black birds on my sailplanes during mating season wanting to fight. One hawk/sailplane encounter that I couldn't tell if he wanted to fight or just date my plane. The last midair was spring three years ago when a small hawk snatched my Aero Ace out of the air and took it to a tree and deconstructed it. I've also had kamikaze attacks on my motorcycle by doves, quail and one chicken. My car has been struck by two doves and one very large turkey. People wonder why I like to hunt birds...get them before they get you.

gb
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:44 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,554 Posts
killing for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Over the last 20+ years I have experienced many bird strikes. .... People wonder why I like to hunt birds...get them before they get you.
gb
Hey Gentle, it seems that you have mistaken bird strikes or mating attempts on your planes for personal, physical attacks on your person!

That's just an observation and not certainly also not intended as a personal attack on you or your position, which should hopefully be clear ....

These creatures (beings!), were on this planet LONG before us and actually well outnumber humans (i.e., they successfully exist in and with nature). Very few of them EVER eat, harm, attack or kill (and eat) humans. Even overpopulation of pigeons & starlings, etc., was caused by people killing the raptors which have kept them in check for millions of years [a good number of cities AND airports have re-introduced falcons to again help!]. Birds' mastry and understanding of the air (I exclude non-flying penguins and domestically created chickens, etc.) is to be appreciated and studied.

They certainly deserve some respect .... not murder and death.

Or?