HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
514 Posts
New Product
Great Planes SU-31 E-Performance Series 3D EP ARF

hey, GP is catching up to the game finally.....here is another one that is in the pocket size category.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVPE3&P=0
summerwind is offline Find More Posts by summerwind
Last edited by summerwind; Feb 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
And how do we know it's a winner yet? I have purchased a few GP planes before and their quality leaves much to be desired.
thomer is offline Find More Posts by thomer
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomer
And how do we know it's a winner yet? I have purchased a few GP planes before and their quality leaves much to be desired.
hmm, i've had excellent results with anything that GP makes. customer support is by far one of the best.
Last edited by summerwind; Feb 26, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:27 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
they had been geeting better with scale---this is just a disapointment IMO.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
514 Posts
i don't look at any ARF as scale.................at least i haven't seen any 3D ARF's that are good scale representation.

this will be a good seller though.
around here there are a lot of happy GP ARF fliers.
thing is, they fly...........don't need to add upthrust, mix elevator/throttle and whatever else.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:38 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwind
hmm, i've had excellent results with anything that GP makes. customer support is by far one of the best, and if i have a complaint, i don't get threatening replies telling me that we can no longer do business should i decide to pursue a complaint.................i won't say the name, but one of my models bought from the (name withheld) other guy had terribly wrinkled chinakote and it was delaminating as well, and the reply was, "we have models over 2 years old and no problems........we will buy back your model, but then that means no more business relations".............very pathetic to say the least.

so, thomer, there is life after 3DHS ok?
LOL......Who mentioned 3DHS? All I was saying is that in my experience, Great Planes quality has been poor. There is nothing I said that you need to take personally.

Have you flown this plane you are claiming to be a winner? If you have and you enjoy it, more power to ya! If you're claiming a new Great Planes to be a winner based on a picture and some specs, I'm willing to challenge it, that's all.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
514 Posts
haha....nah i'm not taking anything personally........but it's ironic how all negative feedback comes from 3DHS supporters.
but you don't find any of the non 3DHS builders going into the 3DHS threads and bashing them do you?
my experience with 3DHS planes was not that great at all.
wing tubes that had cockeyed wing to fuselage joints for example..........pushrod to ball links that pulled right out. etc.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
I had a Great Planes Yak and it was a pile...never could get it to fly right...don't get me wrong...it flew...but that was about it! After that I decided to never ever buy a plane based on looks. Lets hope they have made some improvments...I would like to see some video of it in action before I get all excited about it!
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bighead93; Feb 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2007
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
I had a Great Planes Yak and it was a pile...never could get it to fly right...don't get me wrong...it flew...but that was about it!
ah, another 3DHS supporter.

what is it with you guys?
this thread was just to introduce a new product by GP............not to ask about older designs.
the newer designs from GP have been excellent. major improvements.
to be fair i will say that the monoplane Reactor was a handful at full power with the suggested upgrade motor, but then too, it was warned not to use full power on straight and level flight. but it did have excellent flight characteristics.
this board is for everyone, not just 3DHS stuff so give it a break.

funny thing is, you don't see GP or Extreme Flight and Precision Aerobatics guys bumping threads as we do with 3DHS guys.........it seems like the talk in the 3DHS threads is just to keep those threads at the top.
maybe we need a 3DHS board, then ya'll can relax and not have to bump threads as you do
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:05 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,487 Posts
Have you flown the plane yet? If not, then you are basing your assessment of the plane as a winner on your positive experience of their planes in the past.

Have I flown the plane yet? No. So, I am basing my assessment of the plane as a dud on past airframes which, in my experience, have been poor.

Could I be wrong about the plane? Absolutely. It could be a winner, I just wanted to know if you have flown it yet and have had some hands-on with it.

If my commenting that their quality is poor and leaves a lot to be desired as bashing a company, then, so be it.

Didn't mean to spoil your thread.
Last edited by thomer; Feb 25, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,657 Posts
This looks like a nice model, I'm sure that Great Planes have made strides to improve both flying and build quality. Its really nice they went with a 2 piece wing on a Carbon Tube. Looking forward to hearing flight reports.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:15 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
ah, another 3DHS supporter.

what is it with you guys?
this thread was just to introduce a new product by GP............not to ask about older designs.
the newer designs from GP have been excellent. major improvements.
to be fair i will say that the monoplane Reactor was a handful at full power with the suggested upgrade motor, but then too, it was warned not to use full power on straight and level flight. but it did have excellent flight characteristics.
this board is for everyone, not just 3DHS stuff so give it a break.

funny thing is, you don't see GP or Extreme Flight and Precision Aerobatics guys bumping threads as we do with 3DHS guys.........it seems like the talk in the 3DHS threads is just to keep those threads at the top.
maybe we need a 3DHS board, then ya'll can relax and not have to bump threads as you do
I fly planes from just about everyone...Airfoilz, Extreme Flight, PA, Zerogravity, 3DH, E-flite, Fancy Foam, Multiplex, Lightflite...heck even Parkzone! I am not trying to bash...just my experience with GP from a year or so ago was a performance issue. Like I said...I want to see some video of this one in action...lets hope she rocks! Every brand will have the occasional problem with parts of their kits...I think that happens when so many kits are assembled and shipped. (Especially since the are coming over from China) (Airfoilz is still made in the USA!) I had a heck of a time with my Addiction when I first got it...badly warped but with a little help I got it fixed up...bad blind nuts on one of my 3DH birds...I can deal with little stuff. When there is some video I would love to be wrong
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Looks like it has a tail skid instead of a tail wheel. Looks like an attractive price, wing loading and weight okay. Lets see a flight report or a video first.
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
haha....nah i'm not taking anything personally........but it's ironic how all negative feedback comes from 3DHS supporters.
but you don't find any of the non 3DHS builders going into the 3DHS threads and bashing them do you?
my experience with 3DHS planes was not that great at all.
wing tubes that had cockeyed wing to fuselage joints for example..........pushrod to ball links that pulled right out. etc.
It's amazing how a little new plane thread can turn into a "flaming" thread so quickly. I also have to say that my exerience with GP planes has been not the best, but after seeing their new 50" edge fly, I think they are on the right track to improving their rep to the 3D crowd. That being said, until we get some flight reports and see it's build quality, it's hard calling it a winner. And considering the smaller planes are harder to to design correctly, some people might want to take the wait and see approach.

Summerwind, before trying to devalue someone's comments by calling them a "3DSH" supporter, think about why they have so many supporters. Why does 3DHS, PA, SebArt and a few others dominate the 3D forum? Hmmm... Could it be that they make some of the best planes and have great customer support?

By turning this into a flame thread, all your doing is hurting GP. And I'm sure they would rather not have their name attached to this pissing contest.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Feb 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:27 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
It's amazing how a little new plane thread can turn into a "flaming" thread so quickly. I also have to say that my exerience with GP planes has been not the best, but after seeing their new 50" edge fly, I think they are on the right track to improving their rep to the 3D crowd. That being said, until we get some flight reports and see it's build quality, it's hard calling it a winner. And considering the smaller planes are harder to to design correctly, some people might want to take the wait and see approach.

Summerwind, before trying to devalue someone's comments by calling them a "3DSH" supporter, think about why they have so many supporters. Why does 3DHS, PA, SebArt and a few others dominate the 3D forum? Hmmm... Could it be that they make some of the best planes and have great customer support?

By turning this into a flame thread, all your doing is hurting GP. And I'm sure they would rather not have their name attached to this pissing contest.

Matt

Matt
I couldn't agree with this more.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803