HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:35 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Thickness cord ratio

The last two nights I have been shaping the keel. I spent far to much time at work doing it, I know this due to the dirty look my boss gave me when he saw me at my tool box knee high in wood shavings.

anyway it is now shaped and im happy with it I think.

The thickness of the keel is 12 mm and the cord length varies between 72 mm and 145 mm. as you can see by the photos it tapers up at the top. I cant help but think I have made it too thick, does anyone have any suggestions. I cant go any thinner due to the design so if it is too thick I may be starting again. remembering that the bulb is 4 kg.

another thought I had regarding the rudder was to copy the design off the ETNZ. it is a nice looking piece of kit. now the etnz is 30% smaller in waterline than the IONA. If I wanted to scale up the rudder for IONA do i scale length and width evenly?
fats_nz is offline Find More Posts by fats_nz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fats_nz
Its hard work living in paradise!
Nice view from the shop!

Keel is looking really nice! Re: the rudder, I've not looked closely at an ETNZ, but if you like the looks of the rudder, could be worth a try... it probably will work fine but if not, rudders are easy to replace!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:03 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
thanks, I think you are right- just do it and see what happens.- what could possibly go wrong!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
781 Posts
Nice work on your boat! Your rudder looks a lot like the one I made for my Newport 12M. Mine is Oak and Mahogony...
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
hi, that looks great. This is the keel, i havnt started the rudder yet.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Last edited by ooby; Aug 15, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: sorry, misread the question
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:09 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Mock Up

Here is a rough mock up of the boat in the cradle with the keel sitting behind the boat. It certainly demonstrates its size.

on the desk to the right you can just make out the keel, rudder and bulb of my new micro magic.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:27 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
The keel box

Once again its been along time since i have had the time to get into the workshop. Im on 2 weeks annual leave so the goal is to finish the keel box.
The keel box I want has to do several things.

#1 watertight
#2 have the facility to move the keel foward and aft to assist tuning.
#3 be easy to install or adjust keel.

What i have done is built a wooden box. it is 30mm longer than the keel to facilitate moving it forward or aft for tuning. The keel now has three positions center, 15mm fwd or 15mm aft. i have inserted brass bushes into the keel box, keel, and two spacers. Closly matched pins slip through the bushes and hold everything in place ( in the photos im using drill bits ) to move the keel you simply pull out the pins and move it into the desired position. the two bushes are used to fill the gap that the keel does not occupy. i.e 1 fwd 1 aft. 2 fwd or 2 aft. It is a lotter simpler than it sounds! the bushes and the pins are closely machined to stop water ingress.

This is something a bit different the the normal thread sticking through the top with a nut to retain the keel- this should be bullrt proof! the idea of having an adjustable keel is copied from the micro magic.

Enjoy
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:53 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
well its been 18 months since I have done anything to the boat but Iv had a moment of inspiration.

I have started shaping the bow from cedar. This is made by laminating two piece together between some thin ply. The photos are only very rough but im getting there. Its a process of shaping it slowly with a knife.

The rudder has been laminated together and now needs shaping. Its the same process as the keel. Laminated cedar and walnut between ply.

Its been very cold here in Nelson NZ recently. The last picture is taken across the bay from our house towards the Able Tasman National Park. Its very rare to get snow so close to the ocean.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:40 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Rudder shaped today and rudder post hole drilled. The rudder shape is similar to the Americas cup boats, i don't think it looks out of place.

photos taken of mock up
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:53 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Hi Fatz,

Where was the photo of the snow of? being from Nelson love seeing the photos of my old home town.

Regards
Mike
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Hi Mike,

It is taken from my house in Atawhai across the bay to the Able Tasman National Park.

Cheers
Hamish
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:54 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
I used to live in Atawhai, we lived on Atawhai cres and my father renovated the house and built 2 units on the section next to the creek. I went to Clifton hts primary school before we moved to Australia.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:18 AM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
its a small world, we live on Allisdair Street. I can see Clifton Tce primary from my house.