Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Question
Simultaneously charging series packs with two chargers

I have two lipo packs hooked up in series, and I'd like to avoid having to disconnect them from each other when charging. Can I charge them separately with two lipo chargers, when both chargers are using the same power source? How about if the 12V sources are isolated? My chargers are Hyperion EOS610i's. Here is a pic to describe what I am trying to do:

kkant is offline Find More Posts by kkant
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:59 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,416 Posts
Yes, you indicate the problem yourself.

Lots of info on series and parallel charing here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:26 AM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Will it work if I isolate the 12V power supplies, i.e. have two separate 12V batteries with isolated grounds?

BTW I did look at that thread in my searches, very informative. But in this case, simultaneous parallel charging won't work, since I'd have to disconnect the series connection anyway. Simultaneous series charging might work, if I made adapter cables for the taps (no big deal) and could find a 10A charger with a true 300W output (seems unlikely).
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:13 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Yes isolated power supplies will work, e.g. two lead acid batteries.. Be careful before trying two mains power supplies, first check whether they are not connecting output to mains ground or induce some voltage against ground. It may act as a common ground of them, killing the charger(s).
It would be much easier, if You split the pack into two separate 6s parts.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
24 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks for the info.