SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2001, 01:26 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
World record 5 year old skydiver :eek:

The "jokey" last item on this evening's TV news was a skydiving instructor who took his daughter (aged five - sorry my mistake not aged five - actually aged TWO) for a tandem free fall skydive. Now this might be viewed as rather foolhardy behaviour but that isn't the point I want to illustrate.

Temporarily suspending disbelief for a moment and accepting that a father would be crazy enough to do this, if you get a chance to see the video footage perhaps someone can explain to me what the heck the other skydiver who jumped with them was doing?

He/she rocketed across the sky and *just* missed the child's head by what looked like a matter of inches whilst they were in free-fall (neither her nor her dad were wearing helmets). The consequences of a collision would have been catastrophic.

When the duo landed there was mum with the little girl's even smaller little brother, who they said was being lined up to break her record.

Leccy

[This message has been edited by leccyflyer (edited 07-18-2001).]
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 18, 2001, 01:54 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,469 Posts
It is sad to see the gene pool get more diluted...
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 19, 2001, 02:34 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
One word, MORONS!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 19, 2001, 04:38 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
leccy,

I didn't see the item in question - which country was it in? Not that it really matters. The behaviour of some people defies belief; presumably these aren't carrot-crunching thickies on a spree, but must be well-prepared and calculating individuals.

Given that sky-diving is, by it's nature, a hazardous process, it seems foolhardy to endanger a trusting toddlers life in such a way.

It's a wonder that no child-welfare groups aren't on the case, but then I suppose that the parents could argue that letting your child play in the street is statistically far more dangerous.

"Daddy knows best"?

tim
tim hooper is online now Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jul 19, 2001, 06:44 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
I think it was in Holland and the guy was a pro sky-diving instructor, so presumably his view on reality was slightly skewed by familiarity with the activity and he would have fully appreciated his own perception of the risk.

Undoubtedly the number of two year olds killed on the roads greatly exceeds the numbers killed skydiving, scuba diving and in extravehicular excursions whilst in orbit.

leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 19, 2001, 08:45 AM
Suffers from "Dumb Thumbs" ...
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2000
130 Posts
Leccy, a pro performed this jump without the benefit of protetective head gear as if the risk factor was'nt high enough. Sounds foolhardy to me, his familiarity might have made him too complacent.

Saw video footage of two military sky divers perfoming at an airshow. The two dove at each other from altitude and were supposed to pass each other closely without making contact but collided instead (terminal velocity?). One fellow did survive but is crippled for life. Because of the incredible speed at which they were both traveling, both dismembered each other with their own limbs when contact was made.

This brings to mind another random act of stupidity. A few years ago on this side of the pond a GA pilot set out to achieve a worlds record for the youngest person ever to pilot a plane across the lower 48. And who was to be the pilot.... you guessed it, none other than his own daughter who at the time was either 5 or6 years old.

The criteria for an established record stipulated that she would have to be at the controls at all times( left seat I think?) so the help of a competent instructor was enlisted. A few days into this endeavor and nearing the end of their trip the trio(father,daughter,and instructor) take off in marginal weather. Their judgement to do so under the prevailing condidtions may have been tainted by the nearing end of a long, fatiguing trip and the presence of abundant media coverage. Sadly enuogh, they built up ice on the wings only minutes after take off and all three perished.

Because so many reporters were present at the air port from which they departed, post tragedy interviews ensued quickly among spectators and pilots alike. Many of the pilots were in tears becuase they would not have flown in such weather themselves but did not speak up for fear of being criticied for second guessing the more experienced instructor on a world record attempt. So very sad.

It is sad to see the gene pool becom more diluted but in this case Darwin was right. Those particular genes will not be perpetuated.

LE PEW is offline Find More Posts by LE PEW
Old Jul 19, 2001, 05:27 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
In the case of the little girl piloting across the US.. she can't.. one must be age 16 to solo a plane here.. she can't log the time as pilot in command, and it is highly doubtful that a 6 yr. old would posess the ability to decipher all the required charts, notams, briefings etc. etc,much less actually posses the flying skills and to make judgement calls on go/no go decisions?.. The poor child probably didn't want to take off into known icing in a little cessna if she knew the risks.. Sheer publicity stunt w/ tragic but predictible results. A flight instructor is no panacea either.. Flying is the only profession I know of where typically, the least experienced teach!
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 19, 2001, 05:55 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
Are you referring to the old adage, "Those that can't, teach"?

No offense meant to any possible teachers, professors, flight instructors, etc.

And, yes, Darwin had a very good point.
Ever seen or heard of the "Darwin Awards"?
Humanity at it's stupidest.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jul 19, 2001, 06:07 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Actually no.. but the majority of instructors' ink isn't even dry on their certificates!. The pay is so poor for a flight instructor, only someone needing to build time in order to advance will do it. There is the rare exception of the retired military or airline/corporate guy who's doing it cause he loves it, a rare find.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 20, 2001, 09:41 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
I imagine this skydiving parent took his tot
along for the same reason parents enter thier
child in beauty pagents at age 4, start training thier child in a certain sport at an incredibly young age. Or even that a father r/c pilot would train his pre-teen
son how to fly pattern and build all his planes for him (remember Hanno Prettner?).

It's pretty simple, it's a case of parents
winning the fame that they were unable to
achieve by using thier children.

A few years ago there was a child killed in
a light plane crash during some dumb-ass
cross country flight featuring the youngest
pilot to fly cross country.

It's a shame that people will ride thier
children to fame.
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis