HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Oct 2007
539 Posts
Flying

Hi Steve,
I think that tom is pushing the first flight as far as he can
What if we go there to do the maiden for him.
We will have to toss though who gets which plane
The 4-60... Tsss!!!
The Space Walker and the 195 that's what we want to see...
Sorry Tom
NoŽl
BTW I have a long which list, I will bring it to you, you build and I will fly them, OK. See this one, was able to final feel the plane and take a lot of pictures...This will be my next!
NoŽl
solitairyman is offline Find More Posts by solitairyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
That's quite a project, Noel !

Yes, I'm not afraid to admit it. The models that I really like, I do not fly. They last longer, that way !

Some of you may not be aware of my Stuka. I completed it 4 years ago. It hasn't flown either.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
I will follow your future build logs for sure. When I do my daily visit to the groups, I always start with other threads and always finish with yours. Just like when I was a kid, started with the vegetables and kept the best for the end
mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Oct 2007
539 Posts
Flying

Tom,
I like to build nice special planes, I did it always...
And I am not a much flyer either, but, I like to fly what I build. Sometimes good info about the real plane helps out to give you confidence in the model how it will behave, special with scale models!!! Like the Scout, it was good to have the full description of the plane and its flying capabilities. Anyway Tom, be sure of this: "Nice planes fly better "
Why shouldn't you go for it? All the efforts for... your eyes only...
I know that the first flight is the best you can get, I go always when no one is watching, all by my self!!! No one to tell you what to do, how to fly, etc. Then the second time on the field, you go out and meet the wild bunch, all inspecting, enjoying it, criticizing sometimes, comment here and there, they all want to help, etc. But you know already, The plane will do perfect!! You play nervous etc, and go for it knowing all will be 200%. In the end it was, and you only can know this, you did build the plane, all worth while!!! The next will even be better build and flying due to the experience of the last one.
However, you have to fly them first to know...
The Stuka is a special one too. How big is it and what engine do you have in? I like it too. Shame you didn't take it out for so long...
NoŽl
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:40 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,821 Posts
Yeah, I know, I was just kidding. I usually think about my next build before the current one is finished. And it is Fall, time to start my winter building project. I've always had my eye on Balsa USA's Neiuport 17. But I also have plans for the Hostetler 1/4 scale Taylorcraft so many planes, so little time...
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Noel.

The Stuka is from Ziroli plans. 100 inch span, with a Sachs 4.2 up front. She sports a fully detailed cockpit, too.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
Yeah, I know, I was just kidding. I usually think about my next build before the current one is finished. And it is Fall, time to start my winter building project. I've always had my eye on Balsa USA's Neiuport 17. But I also have plans for the Hostetler 1/4 scale Taylorcraft so many planes, so little time...
Steve, my vote is for the T-craft. I just sold my 1/4 scale, clipped wing version.

I have to achieve a "detachment" from my favorite models, before I fly them. I'm too nervous, if I don't.

It doesn't help that I crashed my last attempt at a maiden of one of my favorites. This 80" 190 D never made it past the end of the runway.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamethot View Post
I will follow your future build logs for sure. When I do my daily visit to the groups, I always start with other threads and always finish with yours. Just like when I was a kid, started with the vegetables and kept the best for the end
I appreciate your comments.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
I hate spray cans
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Jul 2007
1,124 Posts
Got the puter fixed eh?
don olsen is offline Find More Posts by don olsen
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Oct 2007
539 Posts
190d

Tom,
It is the plane!
I was given the same plane some time ago.
A friend didn't make it into the air neither. He flew the gear out of the wing.
I have the wing but damaged, and the fuselage.
The long grass was tooo long here. And what I was told is that the size of that scale results in a high wing loading in the end.
Bigger scale would be better maybe.
How knows....
NoŽl
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:13 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by don olsen View Post
Got the puter fixed eh?
Nope. It's still acting up, Don. I just haven't taken it to the repair shop.

Noel

I poked the retracts through the wing, too. My fuselage is undamaged. I have a duplicate kit for this FW. When I build it, I'll make the repairs to the first version.

The second FW will have more power than the original, but I feel that a better pilot could successfully fly the original, as powered.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:16 PM
Possum Kingdom Lake, TX
Joined Oct 2008
460 Posts
awwww man!!!!

I read this thread from the beginning thinking the planes would be in the air by the time I got to the end!

Guess I'll have to bookmark so I can continue to see the progress. These are awesome builds! You guys do amazing work. I really like the interior lighting you did, Glenn.

One question though, I noticed that with Tom's pilot in the plane, that there is a flat section that comes down behind his head. Is this part scale, or is it a requirement of the model build? Seems like some bumps in the air might lead to some bumps in your head the way your pilot was situated in there

I can't believe how amazing these models look though...I can't wait to see a video of them flying (if they ever get too )
Le Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Le Pirate
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
This 80" 190 D never made it past the end of the runway.
Apparently they aren't so good after that anyway...

Warbirds over Denver 2011 Highlights (8 min 48 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,282 Posts
Le Pirate

The area behind the pilot's head is scale. On the full size, it was padded to protect the pilot.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Apparently they aren't so good after that anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4mJfsIPPfw
Looks like it was a pilot's fault. After the plane kissed the ground it looks like they only cleaned the grass and restarted the engine. The entire flight looked to me as the pilot was afraid to fly the plane and even so, he tried a couple aerobatics resulting into a flutter.

Not a plane fail at all.
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral