HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Sorry Joe... just couldn't make it this time.

Still pluggin away at the fuselage covering. Have the stab, vertical fin & tail cone covered. Working from the bottom rear upward and forward. Should have the fuse finished by this coming weekend. Then spraying the nitrate dope base on. Getting there'...
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Ok... The fuselage is covered. Overall, I used a 16 1/2 yard of solartex covering the whole aircraft. Lot of fabric'''. Trying to get it somewhat ready for our club's Fall event next weekend... (work in progress). Also worked on mimicking the disk brake calipers out side of the wheel pants... making the brake lines next. You may ask I can't see the fabric... well it is almost invisible. The way I applied the Solartex; A good final sanding, vacuum & wipe down w/ a tac-rag... Next I used Stits Poly-tak all over, removed the raised grain w/ a light sanding & vac & Tac again. Laid down the fabric sealing the outer edges only. Then I use a heat gun to shrink & burnish it down using a cotton cloth (sock). Once it is burnished down, it just almost disappears. It's now ready for some Nitrate Dope. Then the surface detail will begin... All for now'. Glenn
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:53 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Awesome work as usual, Glenn. The disc brakes look incredible.

Carey
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:49 AM
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2003
430 Posts
This is fantastic workmanship. It is educational to watch your progress. I too thought the break detail was over the top neat.

Jim
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Thanks Gents'...

This morning & 4 hrs later... Made up the 1st brake Line. Guess it looks ok'... G.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:05 PM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BROZ is offline Find More Posts by BROZ
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Wow... so uh... you plan to fly this, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Oh it sure will fly Jasmine'...

The right side took 4hrs... the left one- 45 minutes G.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Well, those brakes would maybe last 1, maybe two flights, on one of my planes... and I'm not bad at landing. I never run wheel pants any more though, they just get scraped up. I'm working on a scale Piper now, but I'm not gonna worry about the wheels too much, just the interior and airframe.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:22 AM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G McIntosh View Post
Oh it sure will fly Jasmine'...

The right side took 4hrs... the left one- 45 minutes G.
Really outstanding work G...

Could you tell us what you made them from? I'm supposing the "braided" portion of the lines are some type of tubing (maybe some heatshrink?) over a metal tubing, but those fittings??? very nice!

I'm ready to learn more...

Have a Blessed Day!

George Waldrop
AMA~L1307 <> IMAA~LM207
Waco Brotherhood #151
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well, those brakes would maybe last 1, maybe two flights, on one of my planes... and I'm not bad at landing. I never run wheel pants any more though, they just get scraped up. I'm working on a scale Piper now, but I'm not gonna worry about the wheels too much, just the interior and airframe.
Although I've had trouble with wheel pants on a cheap, Chinese, 1/4 scale ARF, I don't usually have problems. Most of my models have wheel pants, and I fly from a grass field.

I haven't done much on my 195 lately, but I've recently aquired a couple more kits.

I told you guys that my Hostetler Fairchild 24 arrived. Since then, I snagged a 1/3 Sig Spacewalker, and just yesterday, I made a deal on an IKON Lockheed Vega.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:21 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,630 Posts
C'mon Tom....your wheelpants aren't giving you trouble 'cause yer not flying much and yer spending yer time buying kits.....LOL!!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
C'mon, Joe. I didn't even ruin the wheel pants when I "flew" the Spacewalker into the corn !!!

By the way, long time friend, and club member, Don Olsen, moved to New Mexico today.

Last Saturday, club members and friends got together to wish him well. The plan was to BBQ and fly, but the weather didn't cooperate. We gathered one last time, in Don's shop, and threw a great party ! Most of the club attended, so his shop was full of people, food (and beer). LOL

I took pics, but on Don's camera. Hopefully he'll post them when he gets settled in.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:41 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Maybe there is something I'm doing wrong then... cuz honestly, one of the reasons I liked the Piper was it doesn't have wheel pants - just big chunky wheels with hub caps, like a Piper should

I just have bad luck with that part... always scraping it on the ground. We have a 750-foot concrete runway, and it's pretty flat.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,205 Posts
It may be more about what you are willing to put up with.

It's not uncommon for the pants to need adjustment. I like the look, so I don't mind adjusting them from time to time.

By the way, my last Cub had wheel pants. LOL