HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:30 AM
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2003
430 Posts
tom,

here is a picture of the engine with the plans.

Jim
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:03 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfassino View Post
Tom

We had a small radial engine gathering at our field over the weekend and one of our guests brought his new Seidel 7 cylinder radial. I had a chance to hold it up to the Hosttetler 195 plans, looks nice.

Any thoughts about this for powering the 195? It would be a great scale look and the engine was a delight to hear run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nOSpqQqcMI

The problem that I ran in to with my Saito 450 was the length dimension. I could get it to fit inside the cowling, but the firewall needed to be recessed to the point that a fuel tank would not fit.

Glenn's OS 300 Sirius R5 fits like the model was designed around it. No mods of any sort were required.

So, if you want to use a Seidel radial, I suggest that you check the dimension from the firewall (motor mount) to the prop hub. If that checks out, then make sure that the motor will fit, in the proper position, inside the tapered cowl.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:35 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
but the firewall needed to be recessed to the point that a fuel tank would not fit.
WHAT?!?

No wing tanks?

Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:52 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
Smart
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:55 AM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
following here too!!! lol
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2009
424 Posts
Well getting by too the build. I finished up the cowl detail the last few nights after work, detailing the panel lines & rivet details on the cowl. I sprayed the cowl this morning w/ duplicolor primer. Not spray can... the real stuff'.
My plastic order arrived... now I can get back to the corrugations on the flying surfaces.
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:14 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
The cowl looks great, Glenn.

My Cessna is sitting, dormant. The most attention that it has seen this Summer, was when you looked at her last weekend.

I've been spending my time doing the maiden of my Stearman ARF, and getting it dialed in.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
424 Posts
Hope everyone is having a good flying season,.. Myself.. I've been doing a fair share of it. Managed too assemble two new birds. 1st, a LiL' Tony pylon racer, has a OS Max .90FSR w/ tune pipe turning a 12x8 apc. And a GP 1/12th scale P-47 which I won 2 weeks ago in a club raffle. Has a new OS Max .25AX and a XOAR 9x6. Hopefully will maiden them both this weekend.

The Cessna 195... been trying too get back building, I've manage to finish the details on both elevators,.. have them in final primer. The corrugations are very time consuming indeed. Next I'm moving onto the wings, time too cover those. Believe I will do the fuselage last. Anyway... good flying everyone... Glenn
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:55 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
The Master Builder assembled two ARFs ??? What's this world coming to ???

Me ? I've been flying..........and crashing, more than usual. I've spent a good part of my Summer making repairs to my Spacewalker and Super Stearman (twice).
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
The Master Builder assembled two ARFs ??? What's this world coming to ???

Me ? I've been flying..........and crashing, more than usual. I've spent a good part of my Summer making repairs to my Spacewalker and Super Stearman (twice).

Tom,

I've been busy getting the new Waco drawings going, and waiting patiently for Dick Watz to come down for a visit, so he can bring my 195. I've been putting some items together so that I can scale mine out too. I'm still trying to decide on an engine. He flew the original proof model on a G-38, but I'm thinking twin.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Waco Brother is offline Find More Posts by Waco Brother
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
Hi Bill

Glad to see you here !!!

Dick's original must have been lighter than mine. I know that Wendel prefers smallish motors for his designs, but I don't feel comfortable with something as small as a G-38.

I'm going with a 50cc twin in mine. Glenn is going with an OS 300 Radial. Both motors will swing a 20X10 prop.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 11:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
Tom,

The original proof model had no finish, and was covered with monokote. Dick indicated that the model weighed about 14 pounds. I'm planning to use a DA 50 on mine.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
14 pounds ??? There's probably that much lumber in mine !!! LOL The wood provided by PCK was fairly heavy.

Bill, did you get Dick's model, or the one that Wendell used for display ?
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:51 PM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
14 pounds ??? There's probably that much lumber in mine !!! LOL The wood provided by PCK was fairly heavy.

Bill, did you get Dick's model, or the one that Wendell used for display ?
Yes, It is mine. I've just got to either go to Michigan and pick it up, or wait for Dick to come down for Top Gun. Both models were Dick's. The one that Wendell had hanging at Toledo 2 years ago is mine. The red on red version. The proof model was done away with after test flying. It is no more.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 07:02 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,315 Posts
Bill, If you end up coming up to Michigan, let us know.

Glenn lives near your route to Dick's. Maybe we could get together and compare notes on our 195's. A group pic may be in order, too.