HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,180 Posts
Thanks, TJ.

I hope that you enjoy the Airmaster thread. I really like that model, and hope to maiden it next flying season.

Slow ? I've been trying to refurbish an IKON Stinson SR_8 for a year and a half. I re-wired it last year, fixed and repainted the covering, at that time, too.

So far, this year, I've made a mount for a new remote glow system. How's that for progress ??? LOL

My house projects are nearly completed. It felt good to actually do something that was model oriented.

This weekend, I'm going to paint a camo scheme on a friend's model.

I guess that I'm starting to get back into the swing of things.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,202 Posts
Hi Tom....Thanks for the kind words last week.

'Sandy' forced me to do some non-modeling things,but we're recovered now,and the desire to build is doing a slow burn.

I'm READY ! Let's DO it !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
I guess that I'm starting to get back into the swing of things.
Great!

Hey, stumbled across these little gems, made me think about your and Glenn's instrument panels, with the (simulated) Garmin displays:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/34mm...it-p-3404.html

26mm X 34mm....might not quite be 1/4 scale, though. Looking at some Full-Scale Garmin examples, there are various installations, including two side-be-side, aligned "portrait" (versus "landscape") for example...giving about 10 inches total bezel width.

So, the "DreamWorks" units, at about 1 inch by 1-1/3 inch...maybe just shy of true 1/4-Scale?

But, the "WoW!" factor might be worth looking into, if not too late...(or, maybe for next project!!)

Just for comparisons, the EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System) PFD screens on the (older) B-757/767 (and older 737s) are cathode-ray, and roughly 6 to 8 inches on the diagonal, in size. Depending on whether the EADI or EHSI.

(See link):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Star-...18c3bfa7eefae3

(Note, all of the warning flags, and no PFD info in that photo means that the Inertial Reference platforms, or "IRSs", are not aligned. Oh, and the 2 center screens, also CRT, are dedicated to the "EICAS"...engine info, and warnings/alerts/messaging).

Updated designs (B-737NG, B-777 and 767-400, and of course the new 787) have larger screens, and use LCD technology. (In fact, there is now an STC to retro-fit older 757/767s to be even more similar to the 787...IF a company wishes to pay the money to have it done!). These are commonly referred to as "MFDs", or "Multi-Function Displays"...you can switch in numerous ways to alter the info displayed on any unit (though, Primary Flight info always has priority, of course). And, there is plenty of redundancy in case of individual screen failures.

(Example):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...6ffa72f17fef92

Above ^^^ is a (former) CAL, now UAL, B737-900.

Well, I rambled on for long enuf'!!

Cheers, and wishing you a mild winter, for excellent building weather!

TJ
767Captain is offline Find More Posts by 767Captain
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,180 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up about scale sizes. If you like the units from Dreamworks, by all means use it.

Many models may have scale exterior dimensions, but few have scale interior specs. My Cessna was small on the inside. My IP has 1/5 scale instruments, for example.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I wouldn't get too hung up about scale sizes.
OK...granted, the fact that our R/C models might have slightly "less than" scale-sized interiors to work with...and, at a "glance", slipping a bit on "exact" scale for interiors might be allowed...

...I tent to 'obsess' about detail....to include, one of my biggest pet peeves --- trailing edges!

Too many "scale" models, in my opinion, fail at this aspect.

I try to incorporate G-10 (or similar) into my control surfaces, and static trailing edges, in order to reach a scale dimension. (This even applies to many of the available plastic kits, in 1/32 or 1/48 scale, for example...most of those are FAR too thick, at the trailing edges, and must be altered)....

Perhaps, I obsess? ( grin )...still, I think these minor points matter.
767Captain is offline Find More Posts by 767Captain
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,180 Posts
That's the beauty of building scale models. You can obsess to your heart's content.

You build for yourself. If it makes you happy, then go for it !!!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Well it's been a long time coming, but the Cessna 195 is ready to maiden. Been working on it the last few weeks, finishing up minor details. Been running the Radial & purr's like a kitten. Waxing it up for another photo shoot. Taxi tests & ground handling next weekend. If all goes well and have the weather... She's going up'... Glenn
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
Keizer,OR
Joined Feb 2004
210 Posts
Pictures???
BrittB is offline Find More Posts by BrittB
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Mar 2008
75 Posts
Nice!!!! I have really enjoyed this build thread.
Get a video if you can.

Dave
DLEVETT is offline Find More Posts by DLEVETT
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:21 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Nice news, Glenn!

Good luck with the maiden!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Glenn, looking forward to the photos and report.
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Aug 04, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Jun 2013
72 Posts
Tom & Glenn - I, probably like most others here on this forum, are in complete shock and awe at your a-m-a-z-i-n-g talents. I just read ALL 76 pages, 1,500+ posts, and pictures. And I hate reading. The only thing missing is the video of the maiden flight.

But... And believe me, I am a C- grade builder with mediocre flying skills, BUT after all of the incredible details and thousands of hours, why did you go with a non-scale aileron control horns and exposed servo linkages? You've got ash trays in the door panels and a lighted glove box. Holy crap! LOL.

I know, I know - its supposed to be a flying model. Just curious why you wouldn't have copied the exact linkage from the real C-195. ;-)

Anyway, as stated previously, I am absolutely in disbelief with your building skills and attention to detail. I'm sure your flights will go flawlessly. That is if you do actually decide to really fly it. It's perfectly OK if you just ship it to The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum for display, too.

CHEERS!

Jeff
PlotShots is offline Find More Posts by PlotShots
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:56 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,180 Posts
I like easy access to my control linkages, in order to make field adjustments.

These models were our first experience using RDS. We wanted to see how well they functioned, before using them extensively. In the future, I may give it a try on the ailerons. This would eliminate the control horn.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,116 Posts
Went to a little airshow today for the comemerative airforce.
Had a Cessna 195 there (I think it was a 1949).
The only still flying B-29 was there also. There were 3 or 4 planes there that only shared 1 or 2 others still flying.
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,180 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics !

It's been 20 years since I've seen a 195 around here. You were lucky to see one, up close.