SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
23 Posts
Help!
Newbie Needs Help!!! Tamiya TT-01, Speed Control Problem

I guess you can call me a newbie seeing that I never touched a RC Car before and I just finally purchased my first used Traxxas Rustler and Tamiya yesterday from Craigslist.

I got into this thing due to the fact that my housemate owns several RC airplanes and helicopters and has some basic knowledge in the Cars area, seeing that the hardware is very similar.

I started playing with them yesterday too and found out that both cars needed fixing. The Traxxas needed a servo and the Tamiya, well thats why I am here asking. The Tamiya seems to have something wrong with either the Speed Control or the Engine as what I am hearing from the housemate. We seemed to narrow it down to the Speed Control though.

What happened in the beginning was the car didn't want to move when I squeezed the accelerator. What I ended up trying to do was to push the car forward, so the motor would rotate, and all of a sudden with the accelerator squeezed the car would run like it should. If I let off the accelerator and try to squeeze it again the car wouldn't respond. The Motor was also a Monster 27 CO27 Cobalt Stock Motor which was an upgrade from the Factory Stock Motor. The housemate and I actually switched out the Monster 27 for the Factory Stock, and it showed some improvement there after, but still one little problem, which is where it might come down to the Speed Control. After the switch in the motors we were able to get a constant acceleration only if we squeezed the trigger very slowly, if we had quickly squeezed it the tires would rotate and stop every two seconds or so continuously.

Could someone help me figure if it sounds like the Speed Control or the Motor, or Both.
GarySJR is offline Find More Posts by GarySJR
Last edited by GarySJR; Mar 07, 2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: n/a
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
are you sure there is a good battery in there? that could be caused by a weak one. did you try resetting the esc? is it the stock tamiya controller TEU-101BK?
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2009
23 Posts
Remember you are talking to a newbie, as in what is the "esc" and how would you reset it? Also, the battery was fully charged and also it is the stock controller TEU-101BK
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:08 PM
Registered Basher
Beaver, PA
Joined May 2008
716 Posts
sorry, esc is electronic speed controller - I'll find a link to the instructions for it and post them.

here is a link to the instruction for the esc http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/45029ml.pdf

you should go through the set up procedure and see if it helps
kistner is offline Find More Posts by kistner
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:32 PM
Joined Feb 2009
23 Posts
Thank you very much, I will update you on the procedure.
That did the trick Thanks.
Last edited by GarySJR; Feb 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:54 PM
milton ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2009
88 Posts
also check the throttle trim on you radio.I have mine set back a bit( reverse) just a bit though.
shanedc is offline Find More Posts by shanedc
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:28 AM
Joined Feb 2009
23 Posts
Throttle trim was set to neutral and things work wonders now. Thanks for the heads up though -shanedc-
Closed Thread