HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2012
74 Posts
i know this was an older post, but thank you. i was able to ground the fan control lead and now its nice and quiet and the wifey doesn't hate it being in the living room

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
This supply was already modded in a different thread. Just thought some would like to know what the rest of the pins are. Original pics by 3d-harrier.
ndamico is offline Find More Posts by ndamico
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Berlin, Berlin
Joined Feb 2011
24 Posts
I tested my DPS-700EB extensively. For output voltages between 14.2V and 14.9V, the voltage remains stable even at very high loads (up to 65A). For output voltages below 14.2V, the output voltage varies depending on load. I am looking for a way that the output voltage remains stable even at 13.8V. Can I use pin # 63 at the same time for adjusting the output voltage and to stabilize the output voltage, similar to that described in Post # 905 for a andees power supply?

Quote:
The +12 remote sense wire to the load is a good idea. Don't get rid of it!!

I was just saying that by combining both voltage sense methods.

1) The remote voltage sense method (the +12v jumper wire to load)

and

2) The local voltage sense method (the one I used)

we should be able to tweak the regulation to 0.00%.

I've been using 4 AWG wire on my DL580 G3 PS.

I get more of a voltage increase at the load with the +12v remote sense

jumper wire when I combine it with the local voltage sense method.

I would have to increase that 6.8k resistor to around 12k to compensate.

I'm guessing that you are using smaller gauge wires for the load.

You could probably use a slightly higher value than 6.8k. Maybe 7.2k or 7.5k.

A tweak-able local voltage sense should be able to compensate for load wire sizes.

Using a pot in place of the 6.8k resistor should do the trick...

If I understood correctly in post # 905, but I have to connect pin # 63 to +12 V, and paste it as between a pot with a matching resistor. Or I'm post # 905 (and subsequent post) mistranslated?
s.nase is offline Find More Posts by s.nase
Last edited by s.nase; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hello s.nase.

In stock form and under full load, the DPS-700EB will drop .25v by default throughout its normal voltage range even if we connect the voltage sense lines to their appropriate points.

The extra regulation we get from 14v-14.9v seems to just be an added bonus when the OVP
mod is used.

Try a 5k pot between the 12VLS (pin1) and the 12VS return (pin8) to further help regulation for the normal voltage range.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Last edited by xandrios; Feb 09, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Berlin, Berlin
Joined Feb 2011
24 Posts
The pot between Pin63 and Pin61 controls the output voltage. The pot between pin1 and pin8 corrects the voltage drop at high load. Right?
s.nase is offline Find More Posts by s.nase
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2012
74 Posts
Do you know if it is possible to up the output voltage at all on this unit?

Quote:
This supply was already modded in a different thread. Just thought some would like to know what the rest of the pins are. Original pics by 3d-harrier.
ndamico is offline Find More Posts by ndamico
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hey s.nase,

A pot between pin1 and pin8 should help maintain voltage at high load.
Last edited by xandrios; Feb 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hello ndamico,

A 5k or 10k pot between any of these points will increase the 12v output voltage for the DPS-450CB PSU.

Pin C5=12v sense.
Pin D5=12v sense return.

C5 to 5v output. Best voltage regulation. Precise control of output voltage increase. Smallest adjustment range.
C5 to 3.3v output. Best voltage regulation. Medium control of output voltage increase. Medium adjustment range.
C5 to ground. Voltage regulation may vary depending on load. Coarse control of output voltage increase. Largest adjustment range.

D5 to 3.3v output. Best voltage regulation. Precise control of output voltage increase. Smallest adjustment range.
D5 to 5v output. Best voltage regulation. Medium control of output voltage increase. Medium adjustment range.
D5 to 12v output. Voltage regulation may vary depending on load. Coarse control of output voltage increase. Largest adjustment range.

When using a sense line to adjust output voltage with a potentiometer, the pin or output that has the least voltage difference from where
the sense line should be is usually the best point to connect to.

Many PSUs don't have a 3.3v or 5v output.
So we have to use either ground or +12v.
Last edited by xandrios; Feb 18, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,328 Posts
In reference to the Dell DPS500 power supplies. A Ebay seller was selling them for $5.00 each recently, so I bought some to use. They are smaller and weigh a lot less than my huge HP Proliant DL580 PSU's as I needed something a bit more lightweight for taking to the flying field.

You only need to hook up the jumpers as noted earlier in this thread. ref http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=811
But I floated or disconnected the inside electronics boards from the chassis ground, so I could use two of the PSU's to get 25v for my iCharger 3010B+ unit.

When you open up the PSU, you need to cut the wire jumper on the lower board screw trace pad. On the upper board you need to cut the circuit board trace on both sides as cutting the wire jumper doesn't work on this trace to separate the grounds. Now one could remove the screw and place a plastic non-conducting insulator under the printed circuit board corner, and leave it like that too, or maybe use a plastic short screw there as well. I chose to just cut the trace carefully using a Dremel micro-saw blade instead.

Now they have changed the design of the power supply units over time. So you need to double check using a OhmMeter many times as you perform the modification and as you reassemble the PSU too. Then be super careful at first when you power it up to check it out with a voltmeter again as well.

Then I can series connect the two PSUs and have both 12.5v and 25v to power some of our latest Lipo high power chargers. Plus still keep the chassis ground on the PSUs too.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 13, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
how to connect the pot

hi, i got one of this. could you please take a photo of how you connect the pots so you can adjust the voltage?

regards jon
lillejon is offline Find More Posts by lillejon
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillejon View Post
hi, i got one of this. could you please take a photo of how you connect the pots so you can adjust the voltage?

regards jon
Which power supply did you get?
On mine I let the fans run normal speed, the fan noise doesn't bother me.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
This is a pinout for the IBM Bladecenter 2000w and 1800w 200v-240v only PS.
All of the important pins are included.

Maximum output current for the DPS-2000BB PSU is 164A at 12.2v.
I've personally tested up to 200A at 14.4v (2800w) output.

Voltage is adjustable up to 14.6v with revisions S8M and lower.
(In stock form) The voltage for Revisions S9M and higher can't be controlled externally via the pins.
You must perform the modification from this post to be able to use the external voltage control pins:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=997

Maximum output current for the DPS-1600BB is 147.5A at 12.2v.

Since this PS doesn't have an internal fan, you MUST mount one externally.

This is a very cost-effective PSU.

Connect pin A6 to C2 to power up.
Connect pin A1 or A2 to D3 to adjust voltage up to 14.6v via potentiometer.
A 1kΩ pot in series with a 120Ω resistor works good.

This PS was mentioned earlier in this thread.
can you pls give me a picture of how you connect this? and a link to where i can buy this components?
lillejon is offline Find More Posts by lillejon
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
AMA #535918
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2006
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
In reference to the Dell DPS500 power supplies. A Ebay seller was selling them for $5.00 each recently, so I bought some to use. They are smaller and weigh a lot less than my huge HP Proliant DL580 PSU's as I needed something a bit more lightweight for taking to the flying field.
I got some too.
vegasbs is offline Find More Posts by vegasbs
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
376 Posts
Power Supply -12V Ground

I see that many of you are still leaving the -12V grounded on one of the supplies when connecting them in series. Although this does solve the problem of shorting one of the supplies when connecting them in series with the cases touching it DOES NOT solve the problem when one of your test leads mistakenly touches the case with -12V still connected to the chassis. This can result in a serious short circuit and or possible damage to your charger.

I highly recommend that the -12V always be isolated from the case whether you are connecting a pair in series or just using one to supply your charger. The -12V connection to the chassis is not done for SAFETY reasons. The chassis is grounded through the 3 pin power cord for SAFETY which will prevent the chassis from going above ground potential in the event of an internal fault. The -12V is simply connected to the chassis ground on some of the server supplies as the -12V is the ground reference for the computer logic circuitry.

Dave
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
Artesyn 7000830 Pin out

Hi, I'm still looking for the pin out for the Artesyn 7000830 PSU; anyone had any luck with this PSU?

IBM P/N 74P4455 12V 56Amp

Thanks
Biggles75 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles75
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782 View Post
I see that many of you are still leaving the -12V grounded on one of the supplies when connecting them in series. Although this does solve the problem of shorting one of the supplies when connecting them in series with the cases touching it DOES NOT solve the problem when one of your test leads mistakenly touches the case with -12V still connected to the chassis. This can result in a serious short circuit and or possible damage to your charger.

I highly recommend that the -12V always be isolated from the case whether you are connecting a pair in series or just using one to supply your charger. The -12V connection to the chassis is not done for SAFETY reasons. The chassis is grounded through the 3 pin power cord for SAFETY which will prevent the chassis from going above ground potential in the event of an internal fault. The -12V is simply connected to the chassis ground on some of the server supplies as the -12V is the ground reference for the computer logic circuitry.

Dave
That is true. Fortunately, with my cheap Dell DPS500 PSU's they do not have a -12v output on them that I could find. They are only a +12vDC output power supply. Albeit there is a little pin or two in the center with +5vdc on them, but those aren't really for powering much of anything.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane