SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782 View Post
Can you please tell me what you mean by "The trick I have found though is to leave the pins tripped in the ON position otherwise it will trip an error if just left to sit in standby, as it spins too slow in this mode and sees it as an error."
I have several of these supplies and really need to slow down the fans before I can use them. I have tried resistors but do trip out on low fan speed.

Thanks,

Dave
I mean connect all 3 of the pins (JR servo lead wires) together and leave it that way, no switch. Plug in AC power to turn on, unplug AC to power down. Have charger connected prior to powering up system.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Darren any news about the pwm emulator?

Row
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme heli View Post
I mean connect all 3 of the pins (JR servo lead wires) together and leave it that way, no switch. Plug in AC power to turn on, unplug AC to power down. Have charger connected prior to powering up system.

Darren
Thanks for your reply. I have the 3 pins permanently tied together but the resistor in series with the fans still resutl in a fan failure after approximately 5 seconds. I will try putting a load on the supply to see if this solves the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
Quote:

Darren
Thanks for your reply. I have the 3 pins permanently tied together but the resistor in series with the fans still results in a fan failure after approximately 5 seconds. I will try putting a load on the supply to see if this solves the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Darren any news about the pwm emulator?

Row
Yes, I'm in the market, too!
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Sorry guys, no news yet, will post if I hear back with any details.

Dave are u using one single 2 Watt 10 Ohm resistor spliced inline to the positive lead for each of the fans? Thatís 2 fans = 2 resistors per supply.

It should work without load when powering up no prob, but your charger should be pre-connected for regular operations otherwise you will trip it, or cause major unnecessary arcing, or damage charger, or all the above.

If hooked up correctly with a resistor to each of the fans and motherboard doesnít like it, then try stepping up the speed a bit with a 2W 6.2Ohm or similar. The 10Ohm left mine right on the fine line of tripping an error, but kept chugging along. Manufacture tolerance differences may push yours over that line. If it wonít run with a 6.2Ohm then something is off from norm, or PS has changed how it reads an error.

I donít make or program these things, all I am doing is sharing what has worked for me successfully. I can only imagine if you are having problems then itís down to tolerance variations in resistors, manufacturing components, serial #, motherboard boundaries, input voltage....??

Be sure wiring is clean and not shorting out on anything & soldier inline even to test, donít just touch or twist resistor in. Hope that helps.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Hi

Can someone please check if this is the correct part to order?

HP DL580 G3 ML570 G3 power supply 364360-001 337867-001

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-DL580-G...item588d5c85f4

Will this give me 100amps at 12v?
I want to use this to power car audio amplifiers etc

Thanks for any help
jazz5000 is offline Find More Posts by jazz5000
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Yes, if you live in the UK and have 240V mains which I assume you do.
Be aware it is a very noisy device because of the powerful internal cooling fans if you want to use it for an audio supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz5000 View Post
Hi

Can someone please check if this is the correct part to order?

HP DL580 G3 ML570 G3 power supply 364360-001 337867-001

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-DL580-G...item588d5c85f4

Will this give me 100amps at 12v?
I want to use this to power car audio amplifiers etc

Thanks for any help
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Yes, if you live in the UK and have 240V mains which I assume you do.
Be aware it is a very noisy device because of the powerful internal cooling fans if you want to use it for an audio supply.

Yes sorry should have changed my description page

Yes im from uk and will be on 240v

Do you mean noisy as in loud or noisy as in interference?

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Had a quick look on youtube etc

I presume you mean its going to be loud.

Thats not really to much of a problem as the audio will also be very loud etc
Running around 1800rms at 1ohm to a sub etc etc

Is the guide on the first page the same for this?

Over here that the cheapest way of getting 100amps etc
So even if it is noisy theres no other choice
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
It may be electrically noisy. That's not a problem for our use with chargers and I am not aware of what the figures are.

It is certainly audio noisy! Think of a small leaf blower in the room with you.

This is the same supply that the thread starts with and I converted so you can follow the instructions.

There are quieter solutions that will deliver 12V at 100A. The problem with this supply is that it is is very compact so they had to put two small high speed fans in it to get the cooling. Some of the bigger supplies that xandrios has got to work would be better if you could find one.

The Poweredge PE6800 PSU will put out 120A. The KD175 model is the one he recommends for a bench supply. Do some reading on this thread searching for xandrios posts. I have never had one so this is all second hand advice.
Quote:
Had a quick look on youtube etc

I presume you mean its going to be loud.

Thats not really to much of a problem as the audio will also be very loud etc
Running around 1800rms at 1ohm to a sub etc etc

Is the guide on the first page the same for this?

Over here that the cheapest way of getting 100amps etc
So even if it is noisy theres no other choice
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Thanks for your help i will research some more

The KD175 you mentioned is 3x as much over here. Roughly $200 in us currency

Which is way more than what i want to pay

Are there any psu less than 100amps that are quiet you could recommend?

Thanks

worst comes to worst i will just get the one i mentioned earlier and live with the noise. You guys are lucky getting them for less than $30
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
Quote:
Sorry guys, no news yet, will post if I hear back with any details.

Dave are u using one single 2 Watt 10 Ohm resistor spliced inline to the positive lead for each of the fans? Thatís 2 fans = 2 resistors per supply.

It should work without load when powering up no prob, but your charger should be pre-connected for regular operations otherwise you will trip it, or cause major unnecessary arcing, or damage charger, or all the above.

If hooked up correctly with a resistor to each of the fans and motherboard doesnít like it, then try stepping up the speed a bit with a 2W 6.2Ohm or similar. The 10Ohm left mine right on the fine line of tripping an error, but kept chugging along. Manufacture tolerance differences may push yours over that line. If it wonít run with a 6.2Ohm then something is off from norm, or PS has changed how it reads an error.

I donít make or program these things, all I am doing is sharing what has worked for me successfully. I can only imagine if you are having problems then itís down to tolerance variations in resistors, manufacturing components, serial #, motherboard boundaries, input voltage....??

Be sure wiring is clean and not shorting out on anything & soldier inline even to test, donít just touch or twist resistor in. Hope that helps.

Darren
Thanks for your help Darren. Yes I did have separate 10 ohm resistors in the positive leads and the supply did shut down on fan failure. I am going to order a selection of 2 watt resistors in the 4.7 to 10 ohm range to see which works the best. I have scoped the output pulses form the fan speed lead and found it to be about 330 Hz. I hooked up my signal generator to the two white fan feedback leads and was able to keep the supply running without the fans installed not that I plan to do that. I may make up a small 555 timer circuit that I can adjust to that frequency to keep the supply running with slower fan speeds. If I do so i may also add a switch to allow the fans to run at full speed if I really want to draw some large load on the supply. When I get the time to try out the 555 timer I will let you know.

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:30 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,883 Posts
Dunno who you mean by "you guys". The Yanks get them at that price - down under they are even harder to find than where you are.

If you don't need 100 Amps there is a number of PS that deliver 50-60A that are much quieter and easy to make run.

The one that is most popular and that has lots of info available is the 47A one in this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...369612&page=37

I have a couple and they are a good solution. By varying the voltage on one of the control pins you can change the fan speed from virtually zero to flat out. They are a Hewlett Packard DPS-600PB 575-Watt Power Supply. Fairly readily available at a reasonable price I suspect. You might be able to run two in parallel without any trouble to get 90A or so as they are designed to run in pairs as redundant supplies but you should ask around in the forums to see if anyone has actaully done it. They expect to be in a case with smart info from the computer - whether they will load share without that I don't know. Someone has probably tried it though.

feathermerchant who follows this post and who sells these already converted may know.
Quote:
Thanks for your help i will research some more

The KD175 you mentioned is 3x as much over here. Roughly $200 in us currency

Which is way more than what i want to pay

Are there any psu less than 100amps that are quiet you could recommend?

Thanks

worst comes to worst i will just get the one i mentioned earlier and live with the noise. You guys are lucky getting them for less than $30
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:21 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hey jazz5000,

the cheapest way of getting over 140 amps at 12v in the UK may be to get a couple of

Dell Poweredge 6650 900W power supplies.

You should be able to get two for £32 shipped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-86GNR...item231788594a

Wire them in parallel to get 144 Amps at 12v(1728w).

The fans are very very quiet.

If you only want a single power supply then you may try the IBM xSeries 366 1300W PS.

It will supply 108.1 Amps at 12.2v(1318W).

The price is around £24.99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-39Y734...item53ea2300ea

This thread started by jj604 has all of the info you need on how to power them up.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Last edited by xandrios; Dec 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM.