SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:56 AM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anan View Post
HP DPS-800GB Power Up Solution
i have no idea which parts i have missed out , i 100% followed user 376782 mentioned to do it ,shorted pin 34 o 31, tie pin30 to +12v,but seems it doesn't work, indicator light off, the fan doesn't run.....does anyboday have good solutions for this ?? thanks in advance.
Are you sure you have numbered your pins correctly? Look at the picture in this link to be sure http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=880. I tried to take a picture of mine but couldn't get a clelar enough closeup to be of any use.

Dave
376782 is online now Find More Posts by 376782
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:43 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Slick job on your 24v power supply extreme heli.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:06 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Boy, we have come along way since my very first post which started this thread.

It involved NO modifications to the supply at all apart from soldering on the output wires to the terminals at the back so itís safe. I think I could have a finished working unit in 15 minutes now I know how, and the only parts needed (in addition to the connecting wires) is a servo lead and any small switch such as a Rx battery switch.

Nice job, Darren.
Yes, John, you should be careful what you start

Superb example of what a world collaboration can achieve.

Kudos to Xandrios, as well.

Great job, Darren.

Lindsay.
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Rydalmere
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anan View Post
HP DPS-800GB Power Up Solution
i have no idea which parts i have missed out , i 100% followed user 376782 mentioned to do it ,shorted pin 34 o 31, tie pin30 to +12v,but seems it doesn't work, indicator light off, the fan doesn't run.....does anyboday have good solutions for this ?? thanks in advance.
Is it wired up as per my update to Borlax's picture in this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=958.

The DPS-800GB that I was given from work was suposedly dead, but by wiring this up, I got it working and have so far loaded it up to 60A with no issues (0.15v drop @ 60A).

Cheers
whitedg
whitedg is online now Find More Posts by whitedg
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
HP Proliant ML570 DL580 Power Station

Thanks for the positive feedback jj604, racerxky, kgfly, xandrios, linw,...

And yes sir absolutely a big thanks to all who have participated in this huge wealth of knowledge, specially big hitters xandrios & jj604! Without the guidance and inspiration of threads like this many of us would either be underpowered or broke.

Yes jj604 we certainly have come a long way, I may have gone a bit overboard but I had a vision of what I wanted and stuck to it....for 6 months

BTW I certainly do not condone or recommend anyone pushing these units beyond their rated outputs as previously stated I have. Capable, yes, do I push them hard when testing, yes, have they stood up flawlessly, yes. But lets keep things safe and try... wink wink, nudge nudge to stay within their rated limits. Safety first.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Last edited by extreme heli; Nov 09, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:19 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,408 Posts
Darren, would be interested in details of your pulse generator soln. Presume it is a variable frequency square wave fed to the fan tacho wire connection on the motherboard?

Given these particular grunty and noisy supplies have no fan speed control on the control pin bank as far as I can tell, I bet a few people would be keen to try your variable speed fan drive fix.

Thanks

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,455 Posts
I have pulled out the temp control from a old atx Im thinking of installing it for the fan mod see how that works out..Im currently waiting for the power supplies to show up...will post details...
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
952 Posts
Is it easy to pull the temp control out of an atx supply? Are they usually separate from the main board of the power supply? I would consider doing the same thing. The original supplies in the this are VERY loud. The good news about them being loud though is that they remind me not to walk away from them while charging .
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:17 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,455 Posts
yes, they are a separate module on some of them like AOPEN follow the fan wires and you will see it its pretty neat I have pulled one out and tested it with a 12 volt power supply and it works very well..

I had it up and running and had my heat gun out and tested the sensor and everthing works without and issues...hoping that will fix the fan being loud at all times..
Last edited by Nelapaty; Dec 04, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:09 PM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
952 Posts
Well then thank you for this info! I will be dissecting a few old power supplies tonight! EDIT: I just realized I probably don't have one with a variable speed power supply. Doh! Do you have any spare? I would gladly buy two from you .
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:03 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
Well then thank you for this info! I will be dissecting a few old power supplies tonight! EDIT: I just realized I probably don't have one with a variable speed power supply. Doh! Do you have any spare? I would gladly buy two from you .
I wish i could say i have a bunch more sorry im trying to find another myself
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:03 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
I wish i could say i have a bunch more sorry im trying to find another myself
Those noise killers only works if your PSU accepts lower fan speed. If not you have to use a pulse generator to fool it, like Darren mentioned in a previous post.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
How do you determine which is which?
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:33 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Those noise killers only works if your PSU accepts lower fan speed. If not you have to use a pulse generator to fool it, like Darren mentioned in a previous post.

Fred
I saw someone had mentioned it in the thread earlier and im aware of it but we shall see what it does if not i will have to get one like Darren's

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...specifications or
Last edited by Nelapaty; Dec 04, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Sorry for delay, been busy at new job.

Yes jj604 the introduction of the PWM emulator was the big ticket to the functionality of the power station that I was after. I must say I did have a lot of help from a very knowledgable electronics expert friend of mind in the design of such a circuit. It was also finished up mid summer when I was super busy and don't remember much of the details other than V5 finally works perfectly. Yes it's spliced into ground and replaces signal from the supply fans.

I have enquired to some more details from its creator, but I know he is very busy and I will hear back when things slow down. I do remember the following random info, it was bases on a similar timer to the 555, the frequency was not what was expected when scoped, it was tricky to implement to both supplies given they share a common ground yet had to hook up ground to both and/or independantly...believe opto isolating was the fix, mother board doesn't recognize below aprox. 5500 RPM as indicated by previous resistor posts, these fans r hungry and chew over 1 amp each- thats 55Watts total thus require substantial mosfets/regulators in the controller, the fans get into heavy vibration inducing cavitation from 7 to 9.5K RPM that should be avoided.

I do know I can now dial each of the 4 internal fans now anywhere from 0-11K+RPM, at any time without interrupting the supplies. I have enquired as to the specific shape of wave form and it's frequency, will share if I hear back & he remembers. Sorry for lack of specifics.

Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Last edited by extreme heli; Nov 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM.