HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:09 PM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hey bh4qbo,

I've made a few attempts to disable the OVP for the DPS-600PB with no luck yet.

If I get it I'll send you a PM and post it here in this thread.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Hi xandrios ,
Thanks for your trying.That's fine. Let me know if you can get it down.

Thanks.Best regards
vorshi
bh4qbo is offline Find More Posts by bh4qbo
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Cron!

The setup works perfekt.
The Compaq PSU I had (PS-5551-2) was the same as yours.
U saved me alot of time.
My Icharger can go at full speed (up to 30A)

Many Thanks!
Mikael

Quote:
Originally Posted by cron View Post
I finally decided to bite the bullet. A friend of mine bought a Meanwell PS and started charging his batteries at 10A (about 15 minutes for two in parallel). Argh... My laptop PS (4A) lets me charge one battery in about 30 minutes. Time for a change.

PS: HP ESP-115 (Model PS-5551-2, Part No. 216068-002)

From what I can read, the output seems to be 30A at 12V, which is more than enough for my iCharger 106b+ (10A max).

The pins to short to make it start are the following:

N N N N N
Y Y N N N
N N N N N
N Y Y N N

There are 6 tabs on one side and 4 on the other side. From left to right, the first two are 3.3V, the next two are 5V and the last two before the pins are 12V. The 4 to the right are ground.

The first time I powered it up, I was surprised it's very silent. In fact, I thought it wasn't working properly. The fans run at 100% on connection (self test) and then go down to a level where it's barely impossible to hear them. I guess they'll make more noise when I'll start charging, but it shouldn't exceed the self test level which is quite similar to my laptop. I'm very impressed so far, but I still have to charge two batteries in parallel (tomorrow).

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the help and to give me the idea to reuse something that was going to be thrown away.
fastiz is offline Find More Posts by fastiz
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Delta DPS-350MB, Delta DPS-275DB Full Pinout

Delta Dps-350MB, Delta DPS-275DB Full Pinout.

Connect PS On and PS Kill to ground to power up.
Last edited by xandrios; Oct 30, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
HP DPS-800GB Power Up Solution
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post19639890

thanks to 376782
jean_christophe is offline Find More Posts by jean_christophe
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:31 AM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Is there any need to have circuit breaker protection on a Proliant ML570 DL580?

I'm a noob with electronics and it would seem to make some sense, but I haven't heard it mentioned.

Thanks!
Andy
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:05 PM
Steven
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Delta DPS-750BB PSU Full Pinout

Delta DPS-750BB PSU Full Pinout.
Autoranging 100V to 240V.

This is an oddball PSU.

You have to connect the PS On to +5V Stdby first,
and then connect the PS Kill to Ground afterwards to power up.
Last edited by xandrios; Apr 09, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
Well somebody who is a qualified electrician (I'm not) might want to speak up here but in the meantime this is what I do. Usual disclaimers etc - it's your call.

If you are talking about the normal Circuit Breaker (replacement for a fuse) then the power supply really needs no protection as it is pretty smart and turns itself off if overloaded. If the PS shorts out then a CB isn't going to help much.
Your house supply DOES need protection and presumably has that built in with CB's at the fuse box.

So an additional circuit breaker in the Power Supply itself is not required IMO.

However an Earth Leakage Detector - sometimes called a Safety Switch , Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB), Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) or an Appliance Leakage Current Interrupter (ALCI) somewhere in the circuit is a good idea in my opinion. It protects you from any failure in the power supply. I have them in the distribution boards of my workshop anyway as a general safety precaution. Over here they have been mandatory in all new houses since 1991 on all power and lighting circuits.

These supplies are pretty rugged and reliable, but they were never intended to be chucked around in everyday use - and they do have a metal case. If you enclose them in an insulating plastic case any risks are much reduced.

When putting two supplies in series to get 24V if you use the floating ground method on the supply side, I think they are a very good idea and I have one wired into my 24V supply power cords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Zeke View Post
Is there any need to have circuit breaker protection on a Proliant ML570 DL580?

I'm a noob with electronics and it would seem to make some sense, but I haven't heard it mentioned.

Thanks!
Andy
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:06 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
jj- OK thanks! I do have a GFI on that circuit so I should be all right- I guess! :-) Andy
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:23 AM
Tamworth, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
146 Posts
Dell 7000814-0000 error

I've been running the above 700W PS for a few months after reading about it on this thread, and finding one cheap on ebay. This afternoon when in use, I heard the fan wind down suddenly (because it's normally so loud, and that got my attention!), then it powered off. Since then it has not been turning on properly, and each time I try to power it up, I seem to get a different (and random) assortment of LED illumination on the back panel, sometimes with a grunt from the fan, before it fails again. Sometimes the orange light illuminates, sometimes not.

I can't seem to find any help for this anywhere, and was wondering if anyone here has heard of this?

It was pulling roughly 45A at the time it failed, though is rated for 57.
Wogboy is offline Find More Posts by Wogboy
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
HP Proliant ML570 DL580 Power Station

Hey guys, long time lurker, made a few posts about half way through this thread regarding best resistors to quiet down these units.

Since have taken things quite a bit further with ability to crank her up or have it purr like a kitten anytime. I wanted a small portable package that can sit on the corner of my bench for use in the shop quietly and ability to just pick it up and take to field.

The dirt:
-2 HP 12v supplies in series for 24V, can run 12v in parallel if needed
-Output rated for 1820W @ 120v & 2600W @ 240v
-I overclock her on 120v @ 2000W no problem
-These particular supplies are notorious for very loud fans
-Engineered a pulse width modulation emulator circuit to fool motherboard
-Fan controller now can be infinately tuned for low noise given load & temp
-Real time temp monitoring inflow air, exhaust on units 1&2, fan cont. mosfets
-Large heat sink & fan added to fan controller mosfets with own cavity exhaust
-Changed out 12 AWG wire from Power Analyzer/Watt Meter to 10 AWG
-made new higher feet on very soft rubbers to disipate exhaust & vibration
-Can run 2 Hyperion 720 Duo's at max, that's typically 4 6S packs @ 20Amps each

It's small, quiet, powerful, & portable....I'm happy.
Darren
extreme heli is offline Find More Posts by extreme heli
Last edited by extreme heli; Nov 09, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:52 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,763 Posts
Boy, we have come along way since my very first post which started this thread.

It involved NO modifications to the supply at all apart from soldering on the output wires to the terminals at the back so itís safe. I think I could have a finished working unit in 15 minutes now I know how, and the only parts needed (in addition to the connecting wires) is a servo lead and any small switch such as a Rx battery switch.

Nice job, Darren.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 09, 2011, 01:26 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,747 Posts
That's bad ass Darren!
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Impressive! I reckon there's a market for a nice unit like that one.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:41 AM
中国, 广东省, 珠海
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782 View Post
Finally after several attempts to get the supply to hold voltage with load I believe I have the answer. Instead of jumpering pins 30, 31 and 34 together just jumper 34 to 31 and tie pin 30 to +12V. So far I can now load up to 45 amps and the output drops just 100mv (12.9V to 12.8V). I do believe I will have a double gin and tonic to celebrate. I had almost given up and tossed the supply. Now I hope I can get more as I believe this is one nice compact supply capable of delivering 65 amps. I plan to series up a couple for 24V which be a piece of cake seeing as the negative is not tied to chassis ground.

Dave
HP DPS-800GB Power Up Solution
i have no idea which parts i have missed out , i 100% followed user 376782 mentioned to do it ,shorted pin 34 o 31, tie pin30 to +12v,but seems it doesn't work, indicator light off, the fan doesn't run.....does anyboday have good solutions for this ?? thanks in advance.
anan is offline Find More Posts by anan
Last edited by anan; Nov 09, 2011 at 02:53 AM.