HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
psu server fujitsu siemen tx 3000 - delta fs011u-400w

hi i have fujitsu siemen TX 300 psu to be convert and i already got the psu led green and fan on.
this is the psu 12V = 28A; 3V=28A and 5V = 28A

and this is the 24 pin out in the middle
-- -- ...... -- -- --
-- -- ..X... -- -- --
-- -- ..X... -- -- --
-- -- ...X.. -- -- --
12V 0V 0V 5V 3V

but anybody can help me? today the psu is always shutdown when it connect to the charger (need 10 - 16V input) and load for charging, but is ok for discharging (even charge the single cell aa 800mah with 0.4Amp)

please help me

Thank you
jambul is offline Find More Posts by jambul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavis22 View Post
This is the post where I saw that pin 5 might not be a good ground. Before I edited my post, I had suggested that maybe pin 5 would be a ground too. I am not an expert either, but 6,8,10 has worked for me.
I'm no expert either but 6, 8, 10 didn't work for me at all. Only 5, 6, 10 or 6, 9, 10.

I am going with 6, 9, 10 (mentioned in the article) since it's working unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't.

EDIT: That sounds a little harsh. I mean to say that if I might mess something up this way, I will change it, I would just like to know why I shouldn't run it that way.
jared52 is offline Find More Posts by jared52
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Hi guys,

just made myself member to be able to post in this thread.
Awesome thread btw.
I'm gratefull to the starter and everyone who contributed to this thread.
For all the exellent info they provide, without that knowledge, i would never have ventured, modding a server psu.

Bought four powersupplies DL385 1300W, (the same as the OP in this thread), and one DL380 800w from Ebay.

I was mostly tempted by the 100A 1300w power, but that temptation soon changed in potential deafness, because of, the jetlike noise, they make in action.

The DL380 on the otherhand, purrs softly, like a young kitten.

Mr Mel gave the good advice, to eliminate one of the fans, of which i did, but still find it too loud.
Experimented a bit, feeding one fan, (other one disabled), external power (5V), with the white tachcables (connected together), still attached to the motherboard.
Did not work, the only thing the psu does, is start, work for an instant, followed by a shutdown and depleting the elco's.
There was another suggestion, to cut the blades off, but imo, that wouldn't be helpfull, because it's the fanmotor that makes all the noise, not the air, traveling through the system.

I'm not an engineer, so, my question is, is there another way to bypass the internal fans or better yet, supply the internal fans externally with 5V (that they purr, like the DL380), lol.

Vivid aka Homer
Vivid aka Homer is offline Find More Posts by Vivid aka Homer
Last edited by Vivid aka Homer; Feb 05, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:48 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Start on page 15 ,post 219 for possible solution.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:47 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
Homer, Charles has pointed you to the right place in the thread.

IMO you are incorrect in assuming the motor makes the noise. Most of it will be fan and airflow noise I'm pretty sure. Basically there is only the one option. Less velocity in the air flow to reduce the noise. That means four possibilities as far as I can figure:

1) Stop one of the fans and just leave one running.
2) Trim the blades/remove the fan blades (the only reason for this is to preserve the tacho signal from the motor so the supply doesn't shut down)
3) Reduce the voltage to the fans so they run slower. The most elegant solution. Adding a pulse generator that fooled the PS into thinking the fans were running, and then driving them with a thermally sensitive circuit would be the best solution IMO but it was all too much hassle.
4) Remove the fans altogether and put an external larger fan on the case that moves a larger cross section of air more slowly. (Need to restore the tacho signal though).

All of these will reduce the cooling effectiveness and we are relying on the fact these supplies were designed for worst case conditions and most times we aren't pushing them into that thermal space.

From memory Mr Mel did 1) - and I don't think it helped all that much.
There are variations on 3) which seems to have worked just fine for most people
Number 4) I suspect would give you the best quietness to cooling ratio but it's clumsy and negates the "lots of power in a very small supply" advantage these PSU's have.

Option 5 of course is to go with a quieter supply in the first place as many people have done. I ended up keeping an almost silent supply on the bench for normal use and getting out the "beast" for when I really need the power.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid aka Homer View Post
There was another suggestion, to cut the blades off, but imo, that wouldn't be helpfull, because it's the fanmotor that makes all the noise, not the air, traveling through the system.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Thank you John, for your elaborate answer.

Did some more experimentating and finally found a fitting solution.
A 10W 10 Ohm resistor in series for the one fan i'm running in the psu.
And i made sure that the resistor is in the airflow, so it is cooled too.

I'm satisified with the result, the fan makes even less noise than the ones in my chargers (have four Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 50).
For the moment i have just altered one DL385 of the four and i'm using this one to run two chargers, who normally need 40 amps each. (charging 12s at max output).

They also came without a mains cable, but i've orderd four C19 plugs to make adapter leads, so i can use the mains cables of my chargers (they are all plugged in the same powerblock that has a switch), if i have to charge 3cell lipo's, i'll use the built in adapter and when i want to charge my 12S packs, i can use the Dl385 psu's.

Regards,

Vivid aka Homer.
Vivid aka Homer is offline Find More Posts by Vivid aka Homer
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:31 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
Homer, sounds good. It was pretty much what I was going to do based on the Einstein Principle that one should "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler".

The one other useful addition might be one of the cheapo battery monitor/thermal probes that have an alarm circuit and LED display. There's a picture in that section of the thread somewhere. Put the probe on it's wire inside the PS near the FETS and stick the display on the outside of the case. It would run on 12V just fine.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1280823471

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid aka Homer View Post
Thank you John, for your elaborate answer.

Did some more experimentating and finally found a fitting solution.
A 10W 10 Ohm resistor in series for the one fan i'm running in the psu.
And i made sure that the resistor is in the airflow, so it is cooled too.

I'm satisified with the result, the fan makes even less noise than the ones in my chargers (have four Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 50).
For the moment i have just altered one DL385 of the four and i'm using this one to run two chargers, who normally need 40 amps each. (charging 12s at max output).

They also came without a mains cable, but i've orderd four C19 plugs to make adapter leads, so i can use the mains cables of my chargers (they are all plugged in the same powerblock that has a switch), if i have to charge 3cell lipo's, i'll use the built in adapter and when i want to charge my 12S packs, i can use the Dl385 psu's.

Regards,

Vivid aka Homer.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:27 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2010
25 Posts
Just got mine

Hi all I am fairly new to the electric plane hobby and am just getting all my equipment set up. I have been watching this thread for a little while now and am happy I just got my HP supply from ebay. Am looking forward to getting it wired up and running. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the great info.
Mechdawg is offline Find More Posts by Mechdawg
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Dell 2850 fan switch

I think I have found a way to have a small switch to set fan speed between High 'JET' speed and Medium 'OK' speed, it is working for me.

$17 delivered for 700 watts, not bad.

I have also modified one of mine so that Output GND is totally isolated, a lot more work than I would have liked though.

Can someone suggest where to post this picture for others to try this too?
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
Nice work! Put JUST THE LINK to your post below and a one line description in the sticky thread here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
I think I have found a way to have a small switch to set fan speed between High 'JET' speed and Medium 'OK' speed, it is working for me.

$17 delivered for 700 watts, not bad.

I have also modified one of mine so that Output GND is totally isolated, a lot more work than I would have liked though.

Can someone suggest where to post this picture for others to try this too?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,363 Posts
jambul,
you will likely need to put in a load on the 3v output power line and maybe the 5v line as well. You want a power resistor type of load so that the power supply thinks it has something hooked up to it that it thinks is a computer or something. I would suggest a incandescent light bulb. it doesn't have to glow or light up either. Just act like a resistance load for the low voltage lines.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
how about a power resistor, makes a cleaner conversion, I used a 10watt 10 ohm and it works great, mount in the cooling fan area
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:14 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Power resistor has not been necessary on the Dell 2850, I have been charging with them for 2 days now without.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
jambul

Posts: 1 psu server fujitsu siemen tx 3000 - delta fs011u-400w

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i have fujitsu siemen TX 300 psu to be convert and i already got the psu led green and fan on.
this is the psu 12V = 28A; 3V=28A and 5V = 28A

This thread is now about many different server power supplies and if one does not read every post he becomes lost in the forrest.

Frankly I fail to understand why a load should be required on the server's PS 3 or 5V lines.

If the PS trips when connecting the charger then connect the charger before powering up the PS.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 21, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Temperature controlled fan speed for the DELL 2850 series

For $3.30 at AllElectronics.com you can buy a LM34DZ and do this!!!

I had to make this crappy video from my cell phone but you get the idea.

Temperature controlled fan on DELL PowerEdge 2850 (1 min 0 sec)

This seems to work on both the Model NPS-700AB and the 7000814-0000.

How I figured this out:
1. I found the speed control pin by probing with a 10k resistor while the supply was powered up.
2. Upon further investigation I found that I could somehow vary the speed on the fan based solely upon how hard I pressed a finger against this speed control pin and a ground pin. I also found that trying to read the voltage on the open speed pin with the power supply on was fruitless and that the fan speed changed when the DVM probe touched it.
3. Upon realizing 2., I put a 10k pot across 12v and put the wiper to the speed control pin. I was amazed to be able to control the speed very nicely with the pot.
4. I then used a DVM to figure out that the effective voltage range used to control speed from min to max was from about 0.3V to 3.0V. Somehow this triggered a latent memory about the LM34DZ which had a 10mv/degF linear output.
5. I just happen to have within 5 feet of me when I realized 4., a LM34DZ and the rest is obvious.

So, I am thinking that there might be a speed control pin on a lot of these power supplies that go to max fan speed when powered up without a control cable attached.

Can someone try this theory out by using some of my convoluted path to success on their noisy supplies?

And, thanks to Tjinguy for the original photograph and connection map which I have added my 2 cents to.
Last edited by KiloOne; Feb 21, 2011 at 10:14 PM.