SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel
The problem I ran into, is if I disable the internal fans, the PS Shut down due to it senses its not running, anyone know how to hook it up to get it running without the fans (to be able to run external fan with lower speed)
Some fans have a "Tachometer" output which puts out a series of pulses which the computer monitors. If your fans have three wires, they have a tach. You could try an external fan with a tach, but I have not tried that myself. Find the fan spec sheets online to see if the tachs and pinouts are close enough. I suppose you could make a 555 timer into a pulse generator.......
M
MDavis22 is offline Find More Posts by MDavis22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2009, 02:27 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
Hi Jetblack.

I have no experience of as supply like this I'm afraid. It supplies a much higher voltage and I don't know what the logic connector does.

For what it's worth, here was my reasoning about the small "logic" connector (which you might be able to adapt):

The max voltage from any pin was going to be 12V (probably 5 or 3.3). YOURS MAY NOT BE. The current required was small since these are logic circuits. This was AFTER I had figured out some of the "logic" pins were actually supply pins but even if I hadn't no harm would have come.

Max 12V, need to supply only a mA or less so I used a 10k resistor on the grounds that the maximum current even for a dead short would be 1.2 mA which wasn't going to be a problem. Wattage is irrelevant since the max power for a 10k resistor for my supply would be 12V*0.0012A = 0.015W.

I removed the connectors from a servo lead to give three slip on connectors and connected the resistors between the other ends.

Your entirely on your own here. You will be dealing with potentially dangerous voltages. If I recall, 42V DC is regarded as the safe limit for low voltage and 100V DC is definitely dangerous. I've read 75V can create a current that can kill you under the right circumstances of skin resistance and current path. I believe 100mA through certain parts of the body can be fatal. I am not an electrician or electrical engineer and have no experience of a supply like this and personally wouldn't be trying to modify it.

Regards, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack
Hi John,

Any idea to turn on HP/Com #226519-001? Please let me know how you ground the small pin and attach a 1K resistor into it and what is the watt of resistor. Thanks

This PS is to power 5 servo drive rated 75V 10A and servo motor rated 60V 20A for 5axis CNC project.

Regards,
Jetblack
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:09 AM
Joined Oct 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Hi Jetblack.

I have no experience of as supply like this I'm afraid. It supplies a much higher voltage and I don't know what the logic connector does.

For what it's worth, here was my reasoning about the small "logic" connector (which you might be able to adapt):

The max voltage from any pin was going to be 12V (probably 5 or 3.3). YOURS MAY NOT BE. The current required was small since these are logic circuits. This was AFTER I had figured out some of the "logic" pins were actually supply pins but even if I hadn't no harm would have come.

Max 12V, need to supply only a mA or less so I used a 10k resistor on the grounds that the maximum current even for a dead short would be 1.2 mA which wasn't going to be a problem. Wattage is irrelevant since the max power for a 10k resistor for my supply would be 12V*0.0012A = 0.015W.

I removed the connectors from a servo lead to give three slip on connectors and connected the resistors between the other ends.

Your entirely on your own here. You will be dealing with potentially dangerous voltages. If I recall, 42V DC is regarded as the safe limit for low voltage and 100V DC is definitely dangerous. I've read 75V can create a current that can kill you under the right circumstances of skin resistance and current path. I believe 100mA through certain parts of the body can be fatal. I am not an electrician or electrical engineer and have no experience of a supply like this and personally wouldn't be trying to modify it.

Regards, John
Hi John,

After reading your thread once more, I decided to try out using your way, took a JR plug twist the 3 wire together and plug it in with one of the short pin, .......guess what......51.2V on DVM and green LED stay, praise the Lord! Its in ON MODE!

Thanks for this thread without it, this will never happen. Thanks again

Regards
Jetblack
jetblack is offline Find More Posts by jetblack
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:17 AM
Joined May 2009
510 Posts
I use two Dell computer power adaptors for their workstation products, 12V 18A each. I connected two in series to get a 24V 18A supply for my 0720i, Over 400W power, sufficient even for the 0615DUO. And higher voltage increases efficiency, input wire gauge is not as critical as the 12V supplies.

They costed me 30 bucks.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:37 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
How good is that! Pleased it worked for you. Now we have another useful supply for anyone who wants lots of volts.

Congratulations.

John

PS: Post a diagram of the connection in case someone else needs one of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack
Hi John,

After reading your thread once more, I decided to try out using your way, took a JR plug twist the 3 wire together and plug it in with one of the short pin, .......guess what......51.2V on DVM and green LED stay, praise the Lord! Its in ON MODE!

Thanks for this thread without it, this will never happen. Thanks again

Regards
Jetblack
Last edited by jj604; Oct 15, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
Just watch the safety issue. I posted some stuff on this earlier in reply to Charles (Everydayflyer). It DOES work but you have to remember:

1) The cases of these supplies and the -ve rail are normally connected together and are connected to ground (and thus with 2 in series to work, one case is connected to the charger input -ve and the other is floating) so you must make sure they don't touch if you use them in series. Otherwise: very high current dead short across one supply.
2) Because you can't use a 3 pin mains ground connection on both supplies (otherwise you have a short through the earth/ground pin), there is a POSSIBILITY that one case can become live at 110/240V if there is a failure in the supply and hence mains live potential appear on the (now unearthed) case - small probability but hey it's your life.

It IS possible to safely connect two of these in series but you need to fully insulate them.

Your call.

Regards, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya
I use two Dell computer power adaptors for their workstation products, 12V 18A each. I connected two in series to get a 24V 18A supply for my 0720i, Over 400W power, sufficient even for the 0615DUO. And higher voltage increases efficiency, input wire gauge is not as critical as the 12V supplies.

They costed me 30 bucks.
Last edited by jj604; Oct 15, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Clarified the explanation a bit
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
How good is that! Pleased it worked for you. Now we have another useful supply for anyone who wants lots of volts.

Congratulations.

John

PS: Post a diagram of the connection in case someone else needs one of these.

Attach the pic of the connection.

There are 20pin in this PS 5 x 4 , once connect to the 3 'Y' pin with JR plug and twist all 3 wire together , it will turn on. hope this help.

N N N N N
N N Y N N
N N Y N N
N N Y N N

Regards,
Jetblack
jetblack is offline Find More Posts by jetblack
Last edited by jetblack; Oct 16, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 03:11 AM
Joined May 2009
510 Posts
Quote:
Just watch the safety issue. I posted some stuff on this earlier in reply to Charles (Everydayflyer). It DOES work but you have to remember:

1) The cases of these supplies and the -ve rail are normally connected together and are connected to ground (and thus with 2 in series to work, one case is connected to the charger input -ve and the other is floating) so you must make sure they don't touch if you use them in series. Otherwise: very high current dead short across one supply.
2) Because you can't use a 3 pin mains ground connection on both supplies (otherwise you have a short through the earth/ground pin), there is a POSSIBILITY that one case can become live at 110/240V if there is a failure in the supply and hence mains live potential appear on the (now unearthed) case - small probability but hey it's your life.

It IS possible to safely connect two of these in series but you need to fully insulate them.

Your call.

Regards, John
Yes you are a real expert.

I do notice this before getting started. I open the adaptors' cases and reconnected one of the neg outputs, that is, desolder the Ground wire from the board(which connects Main power GND and Neg output), insert a 1uF50V capacitor and solder the wire to the capacitor. This makes the neg out DC floating. This one is the upper unit of the two, the other one's output stage was left unchanged. Drill a hole to let the series connecting wire go through. Mount a red banana outlet on the upper one and a black on the lower one.

Then I removed one of the power inlet sockets and connect the input to the other socket, all 3 input wires L, N and G are soldered together using teflon wires and shrink tube, that required to drill three more holes on both cases. Now I got the two adaptors stacked and double-sided taped. A 430W power supply was done, reliably.

The beauty of this DIYed thing is it's so quite, no fan to disturb my sleeping daugher (the 0720 is noisy though ).
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:02 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
Mains connector pinout

Someone just got an HP PROLIANT DL580/ML570G3 supply delivered without a mains cable. Although it was in the US I assume the connection socket on the PS itself is the same all over - only the cable changes.

If you need to connect directly to the supply here's how mine is configured (looking at the case socket).

John
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
689 Posts
John, thanks for the power plug pinout info. I soldered up a power lead and the supply started right up. Blinking green led means it was in standby. I jumpered the 3 pins as you indicated and the power supply came on and 12.74V on each of the 4 12V pads. I tried 3 chargers running at about 200w each and the power supply didn't even get warm!!!!

Only complaint as mentioned before is the fan noise and we'll figure something out about that....

VERY NICE Power Supply for $26 on ebay plus $10 for shipping.... Might have to get another one just in case.

Now my Iota 55 stays in the field box and in the truck, the HP Power Supply gets bolted to the bottom of my charging station... Yippee

Thanks John

DonA
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:59 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
Glad it worked, Don.

3x 200Watts - that's nuthin.

If you lived in a country with a proper 240V mains supply you could run 7 of them!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:27 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Such as the USA? Yes the US has 220 / 240 V AC . It is used for heating, air conditioning, clothes dryers, water heater,stoves /ranges and other misc. aplications.

Chasrles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
And soon to charge electric airplanes. I scored a few IBM blade center supplies. If I can get them to work, they will do 12V and 147A.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:19 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,872 Posts
Knew I would get a rise out of you, Charles.

Mind you I could always use the three phases that come into my house and get 415V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Such as the USA? Yes the US has 220 / 240 V AC . It is used for heating, air conditioning, clothes dryers, water heater,stoves /ranges and other misc. aplications.

Chasrles
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:48 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Yeah just add the 3 phases together right?

BTW I have 7200V in my back yard.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Last edited by feathermerchant; Oct 27, 2009 at 08:03 PM.