Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubgar View Post
Hi madatme.

I think what your describing is more of a regular pc power supply than the powerful server power supplies in this thread.
There are many conversions for the pc type. Check here.
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...OWERSUPPLY.HTM

hubgar.
Here is one page that a search for NPS330BBA returns.
http://www.redplanettrading.com/Dell...0-Servers.html

It definitely looks like a hot-swap server power supply. I am not sure where the wires he speaks are coming from.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Its a hot swap chassis but based on the output specs internally I bet its the same an an ATX supply. Looks like they came out of a Poweredge 2450 which are smaller boxes similar to blade servers.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
101 Posts
the wires that I speak of are connected to the circuit board that i kept, the ps supply then plugs into the circuit board. If you look at the ps from the web site redplanettrading it shows the back of the ps with its gold circuit board. The other web page states the red is 5 v, yellow 12v, blk gnd, and only 1 blue wire that is -12 v, no green wire from this supply. I thought there might be a quick connect feature because i hate to trash them
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:05 AM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
Its a hot swap chassis but based on the output specs internally I bet its the same an an ATX supply. Looks like they came out of a Poweredge 2450 which are smaller boxes similar to blade servers.
Yes I would agree, as it has a 35A 5V bus and an 18A 12V bus. That makes it a 218W 12V power supply, in other words not a great candidate for even medium chargers.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:52 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Halstenbek
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubgar View Post
Hi outlawrc.

Here's the pic you wanted.
The pot with the driver adjusts the output voltage.
Same deal here with shutdown on charger connection. Connect charger before plugging supply in.
I don't know why your switch does not work. Are you sure you followed the pinout I posted? The yellow I used for
the connections did not show well.
Hope this helps,

hubgar.
Thanks for the picture !

I found the pot myself
But i still have the shutdown issue

Home i get it working, mostly after 3-4 reconnects to 220V
But in our "Race Paradise" the PSU shutdown after 30 secs...

There two more Pots inside, does anyboby know there function ? Properly for 3 and 5 Volt adjust
Same for the other small pins in the middle.

@hubgar
I have connected the switch based on your picture

Edit

I have done some research
If i disconnet the buttom left pin and put the switch inbetween the other two pins, the PSU stays on !
I have a Rev A01
outlawrc is offline Find More Posts by outlawrc
Last edited by outlawrc; Jan 22, 2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Maybe found the reason
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:34 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
Can you do a summary and post the link to the "How to convert Server Power Supplies" thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Thanks

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
the wires that I speak of are connected to the circuit board that i kept, the ps supply then plugs into the circuit board. If you look at the ps from the web site redplanettrading it shows the back of the ps with its gold circuit board. The other web page states the red is 5 v, yellow 12v, blk gnd, and only 1 blue wire that is -12 v, no green wire from this supply. I thought there might be a quick connect feature because i hate to trash them
well i think Im on to something, I know these are not powerful but its all I have for now. Any way I connected the gray wire to the orange wire power ok, added a 10ohm 10watt resister to the orange 3.3v and gnd and it comes alive except for the fan is really slow and the led on the case flash off and on, output of 12.0v, so i connected the gray wire to the red 5.0v wire and the fan runs faster more normal speed but the ps cycles off and on along with the output. Dont know why yet
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:20 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Oct 2004
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawrc View Post
Thanks for the picture !

I found the pot myself
But i still have the shutdown issue

Home i get it working, mostly after 3-4 reconnects to 220V
But in our "Race Paradise" the PSU shutdown after 30 secs...

There two more Pots inside, does anyboby know there function ? Properly for 3 and 5 Volt adjust
Same for the other small pins in the middle.

@hubgar
I have connected the switch based on your picture

Edit

I have done some research
If i disconnet the buttom left pin and put the switch inbetween the other two pins, the PSU stays on !
I have a Rev A01
Hi outlawrc.

I too have a shutdown issue occasionally. I believe it to be a lack of load that causes it. The power supply shuts down after about 30 seconds when there is no load or at the end of a charge, when current is low. The strange thing is it doesnít always happen. At high loads, it never skips a beat.
Iíve played around with different resistors on the output, to load up the supply. I started with 100ohms, then 50, but still had it shut down; now Iím down to 20ohms and it seems O.K. At 20 ohms the draw is only about 650mA. The resistor will be ty-wraped in front of the fan should this turn out to work.
I will try in the next few days to get the supply to shut down. If it does, Iíll post.
The other two pots are still a mystery to me. I donít think they are for adjusting the 3.3v or 5v outputs because there are none, only 12v. Before touching the pots I was sure to mark their original positions with a fine point marker in case they caused any problems. With a voltmeter on the output I started rotating the unknown pots with no effect to the voltage. I believe they could be over/under voltage or over/under current protection adjustments. I need to spend more time on these.
Maybe there are differences in the different revisions. If memory serves, when I hooked up the control pins like you did, my supply only clicks, (as in a relay changing state). The fans only started when I then connected both the upper right pins to the bottom left pin.

hubgar
hubgar is offline Find More Posts by hubgar
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
OK as jj604 asked for a summery, here we go

Thanks to hubgar first of all, helping on the issues i found on the Dell PSU

We are talking about the following PSU

Dell NPS-730AB A Rev A01
730 Watt Output max.

my supplys came out of 2 Dell PowerEdge 2600 Dual Xeon 3,06 GHz

hubgar found the pinout for the connection on the back of the PSU

This is the org. picture

Here you can see, tree pins connected to get the PSU working.
It includes a switch the buttom left and the two upper right pins shown.
Doing this connections, i could not get my PSU turn on, using the switch.
I always came on and shutsdown after about 30-60 sec, even with load on the PSU.
No matter were the switch was set to (ON or OFF)

By accident, i disconnected the buttom left pin.
Without this pin, the PSU stayed on and was running for about 20 hours fine and i was able to connect other power sources, while the PSU was running and it would not shutdown on the connect.

I finally found, the PSU needs to be turned on with a switch between the two upper right pins.

So looks like, hubgar was half way right
Since i have a switch inbetween the two pins and turn on the PSU with this switch it works well !

I have the voltage adjusted to 13,5 Volts, with the pot shown below

EDIT Do not change the voltage !
This was the reason for my shutdowns, since i went back to ~12,8-13,00 Volt, the supply is stable

Thank to hubgar for the picture

this is my final connection pinout and my "Charging Power Box"
Last edited by outlawrc; Feb 11, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:43 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
Thanks!

Also for the link you posted in the Sticky thread.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
Muenchnerkindl is looking for help with this one.

I've moved this post from the summary sticky thread. can anyone assist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muenchnerkindl View Post
Hello power friends,

locally, I've access to a PS formally used in IBMs Blade Servers - it's a

DELTA ELECTRONICS DPS-1200BB A Rev. S4.0
IBM P/N: 49P2141
EC No: H22799R
IBM FRU P/N: 49P2045
EE SPEC: 49P2043
intended for use at 200 - 240 V ac
delivering 12 V = at up to 98 A
( and + 5 V = at up to .1 A )
On it's back it provides from left to right 4 blades for + and 4 blades for - power out
followed by 4 rows with 6 pins ea., total 24 "control pins".

Providing 220 V ac a grenn LED ist cont. on and one can hear a relais activated - no output on ALL pins. Checking the control pins show 4 internal jumpers ( 2 pins ea. are solid jumpered internally ).
Second LED on the front - labeled DC - remains unlit.

I even found a matching connector and found the trim pot to set for a little higher output voltage - later ...

Who can give a hand, please:

Where to find startup connections for this nice baby?

Enjoy a nice day
Georg075 has suggested:

in my DELTA DPS-2000BB short this pin (see image)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Thanks!

Also for the link you posted in the Sticky thread.
Welcome
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Nov 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
I just purchased a HP DSP-600PB B .
...snip...
b) Are the pins to be shorted pins 6, 8, 10 ? I read in another article that the pins to be shorted seem to be 8, 9, 10 ? See this link : https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...-how-tos/HP47A

...snip...
Hey guys. I have the DPS-600PB B power supply I got from eBay and I set out to make it work tonight. I followed the instructions and shorted 6, 8, and 10 but the LED did not come on and the outputs measured 0v. I thought maybe the pins weren't making a good connection (I used servo leads) so I pushed in on the 6pin and it came on for a sec. Well, long story short, it turns out I was actually shorting 5, 6, 8 and 10 when I did that (pushing in actually leaned the connection over to short 5 and 6). When I discovered that shorting 5, 6 and 10 lit the PS up, I checked the voltage and it was putting out 12.49v. I hooked up my charger (only 50w, got a 150w on backorder) it worked and charged as expected (again limited by the wattage). However, because mine didn't work with the pins everyone else was using, I was worried that I might mess the PS or charger up (I am a computer guy, but not an electrician) so I started reading more. I saw this link (quoted) and saw that it said to short 6, 9, and 10 so I went out, made the change and it worked as well but this time it measured 12.65v. Pins 4 and 10 measured around 4v (can't remember exact) and pin 5 measured 0v while pin 9 measured .13v. Again, I am not an electrician and I only know how to set my multimeter to check for volts and not to see if something is a ground or not (is that even possible with a multimeter??).

That said, what do you guys think about the pins? Should I go with the combo (5, 6, and 10) that does 12.49v or the one (6, 9, 10) that does 12.65v? I did read in one post here that someone said not to use pin 5 but I don't know what post number he was referring to.

Thanks everyone for your help!

EDIT: You know they make those labels for a reason. I have the same label as the one linked in the article (as well as this post) so I am going to go with the 6, 9, 10 configuration. I didn't even check the label before. I even found another one on eBay for $16 shipped (paid $25 for the first one). This site is a gold mine of info. So much to go through but such good info.
jared52 is offline Find More Posts by jared52
Last edited by jared52; Jan 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:42 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Dps-600pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
I have just bought and converted an HP Power Supply DPS-600PB and it works fine. As it is difficult/impossible/expensive to obtain the mating rear connector, I have soldered a couple of 4mm test sockets between the blades of the existing connector which makes a convenient termination.
The extra low Z capacitor is only to reduce pk - pk ripple to about 60mV at full load and not strictly necessary.
BTW I think the only real ground pin is pin 8 which pins 6 and 10 should be commoned to in order to enable the main 12V output. Full Load regulation is only 0.11V and the overload characteristic is trip off at about 56A, break input to reset.
So as I paid £9.50, I now have a good 12V, 50A psu for just over a tenner!, ($16)

Wayne
This is the post where I saw that pin 5 might not be a good ground. Before I edited my post, I had suggested that maybe pin 5 would be a ground too. I am not an expert either, but 6,8,10 has worked for me.
MDavis22 is offline Find More Posts by MDavis22
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:45 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
868 Posts
Pin 8 is the ground pin. I assumed 6 and/or 10 are enable pins although one may be a PF warning or other signal input/output.
Pin 5 is an auxilliary -12V supply and pins 1,2 and 3 are a +5V output.
See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3513373

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles