HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
Heli Addict
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
And soon to charge electric airplanes. I scored a few IBM blade center supplies. If I can get them to work, they will do 12V and 147A.
Hi feathermerchant,

did you get them to work? I recently bought an IBM Bladecenter PSU (2KW, 164A@12V, Type 74P4453) but so far haven't been able to actually turn it on. Tried all sorts of hints in this thread, but no luck

I'd really like to make a 24V or 48V supply out of 2 or 4, or a 328A supply for bench testing evil self-wound motors as well as charging all sorts of stuff

Regards,
Simon.
nexus665 is offline Find More Posts by nexus665
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
No luck. These guys ar eapparently made up of 3 or 4 separate supplies that are staged on for efficiency. I think there will be some logic to making them come on.

However, You could parallel 3 of my 47A supplies and get almost 150A.
I might also be able to get some more of the ones jj has that will do 106A...
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:20 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,642 Posts
Message for Pdwight

Dwight you have "chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages" when I tried to send you a reply.

Here it is (everybody else please just ignore it - thanks. )

==============
Dwight, the picture in post #1 that shows the power wires connected and the three control pins connection is pretty clear. Just right click on it and Save Picture As. I just tried it and it makes a 1024 x 682 pixel jpg graphic. Similarly the three pictures in Post#3 show how I soldered them on my second version which makes a stronger joint.

I would attach the graphics but I have never figured out away to do it in a PM.

Hope this helps.

Regards, john
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
North Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
I will have to check out my message problem, I appreciate you getting back to me. I have a question I have read it is not good for a switching power supply to be turned or or put into function without a load , do these have something inside to protect from that or is it a tall tale ??

I managed to get two of the exact same HP supply's you have pictured.

Thanks again
Dwight
Pdwight is offline Find More Posts by Pdwight
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:50 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,642 Posts
Dwight, I assume these things are protected from just about everything. In any case they do have a load. What do you think creates the racket when they get powered up?

Seriously, because they are hot swappable they will be designed to cope starting up under almost any conditions. I do remember from somewhere that if you start up a switching supply with a completely open output circuit then very high voltage spikes can be created which makes sense, but that isn't the case here. Lots of folks have used one or two of these for 12V or 24V so far without a problem. They DO have a problem starting up into very low resistance loads such as cold light globes which look pretty much like a short circuit to the supply.

Regards, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I will have to check out my message problem, I appreciate you getting back to me. I have a question I have read it is not good for a switching power supply to be turned or or put into function without a load , do these have something inside to protect from that or is it a tall tale ??

I managed to get two of the exact same HP supply's you have pictured.

Thanks again
Dwight
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:04 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
The only problem I have encountered is when a power supply is already running with no load and I plug in a charger. Some chargers have large capacitors across their input leads and that looks like a short circuit when first connected and can cause the power supply to shut down.
So I have developed the habit of connecting the chargers first then powering up the supply. It's easier on everything.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:41 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,666 Posts
yes, I've had that happen a few times.

connecting chargers first has eliminated the problem. feathermerchant, thanks for the great power supply. mine has been working great!!!
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Hey IRG - I'll be on LI over Labor Day. It's parents weekend at the USMMA. Where the heck do you fly?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:22 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
Feather - the merchant marine academy is in King's Point correct? If so it is about 30 minutes east of the field these guys fly at in Brooklyn.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:34 PM
North Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
Plug Problem

OK ready to hook up my HP Server power supply and realized I must be dyslexic ....the plug that I thought was the standard A.C. Plug for 90% of everything will not work on this.....the plug is sideways ??

Where can I get a cord for this power supply ??

Thanks
Dwight
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:28 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
Sideways? You mean like a 220v plug?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
North Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
Yes as in a Nema IEC 320 C19

Looks like a standard computer (most everything) power cord but instead of the spade connectors going up and down they go right and left....or X Axis

I have since found some of the cords online and they go from 30 bucks to over 100

The power supply clearly states input voltage is 100-127 VAC

and below is 200-240VAC

I guess it works on either but will have higher output on 220V , however I want to run it on 120VAC to just make a 12V supply out of it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
FWIW I have taken a standard plug, cut off the end and soldered the wires to the 'sideways' contacts. Use heat shrink to insulate them of course.
The cords are about $30 min as stated above.
Last edited by feathermerchant; Aug 27, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
FWIW I have taken a standard plug, cut off the end and soldered theeiresto the 'sideways' contacts. Use heat shrink to insulate them of course.
The cords are about $30 min as stated above.
It took me a minute, but I think "theeiresto" translates to "the wires to". At first I though it was some kind of Italian connector
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
North Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
49 Posts
That sure beats paying $40+ dollars for a cord