HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:42 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
934 Posts
Xandrios,
Red(+)/Black(-) go to the fan on the left
Orange(+)/Grey(-) go the fan on the right

I hooked them into a series by connecting the red and grey. Before I closed it up, I plugged it in to test. The fans only spin for a second and then stop. Then after about 8 seconds, the lights change as shown in the photo. I haven't checked but I'm assuming it isn't providing power.

I'm guessing I did something noobish here. I know I didn't follow your exact instructions, but the fans are still in a series as far as I can tell. Do I need to use a different 12V power source than the one it was originally on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
There will be 4 power wires that come from the fan combo unit. Red+ and Black- from one fan. Orange+ and Grey- from the second fan.. To wire the fans in series just connect the Orange and Black wires together. Then connect the Red wire to the 12VDC output. And connect the Grey wire to DC ground.. The PDF that you included also contains this information..
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Did anybody find out how to limit the current on the DSP120 406424-001 / 226519-501 so that it doesnt shutdown because of overload? There are many potentiometers in it but wich one is it?

Thanks
fastfastfast is offline Find More Posts by fastfastfast
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:10 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Xandrios,
Red(+)/Black(-) go to the fan on the left
Orange(+)/Grey(-) go the fan on the right

I hooked them into a series by connecting the red and grey. Before I closed it up, I plugged it in to test. The fans only spin for a second and then stop. Then after about 8 seconds, the lights change as shown in the photo. I haven't checked but I'm assuming it isn't providing power.

I'm guessing I did something noobish here. I know I didn't follow your exact instructions, but the fans are still in a series as far as I can tell. Do I need to use a different 12V power source than the one it was originally on?
Now you need to connect the fans directly to the main 12V DC output..You can get to the wires more easily at the other end of that wiring harness.. So the Orange wire will now go to the main +12V DC output. Check the Black wire to see if it is already grounded.. If it isn't then you need to connect the Black wire to DC ground.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Last edited by xandrios; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:13 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfastfast View Post
Did anybody find out how to limit the current on the DSP120 406424-001 / 226519-501 so that it doesnt shutdown because of overload? There are many potentiometers in it but wich one is it?

Thanks
Did you check here: Lots of good stuff.

http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Thanks xandrios, I know that site
They have built an excellent conversion kit, but they have no information about all those trimmers inside (but the one with the silicone dot). There are many more! What else could these be used for if not for voltage trimming and overcurrent protection? Is there a way to find out?
have a nice evening
fastfastfast is offline Find More Posts by fastfastfast
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:42 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
934 Posts
Xandrios,
That worked! It's half as loud but still not as quiet as I was hoping. Still worth the effort of the simple mod in my opinion. I wish there was a way to make it temp controlled and have it shut off completely when not needed. It looks like it has a temp sensor but, as you know, I'm no electrical person. With the total cost of this 1100 Watt power supply project at only $50, I really shouldn't complain.

Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
Now you need to connect the fans directly to the main 12V DC output..You can get to the wires more easily at the other end of that wiring harness.. So the Orange wire will now go to the main +12V DC output. Check the Black wire to see if it is already grounded.. If it isn't then you need to connect the Black wire to DC ground.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,193 Posts
So I was ordering several Dell AA23300 power supplies from eBay and the picture label they showed was that of a typical AA23300. The units that came in look exactly like the AA23300 but the label is different as is the number CN-0UG634. Has anyone come across this unit before and anything I should be aware of. Looks like no problem isolating the board ground to the chassie ground. While it is apart if anyone wants any additional internal pictures let me know.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
which psu to buy?

hi folks,

im looking for a quiet psu (no fan at all or a really quiet one) that is happy to deliver a cuntinous 20amps at 13V minimum. got some server psus here but they are all loud as hell. so do you have any idea of a quiet one? i know there are some "fanless" ones around, maybe they can do 20amps with no fan or with a big and slow one attached to it?

any suggestions? thank you guys!
vnt17 is offline Find More Posts by vnt17
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:17 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,760 Posts
See my blog.
I have some fanless supplies that deliver just short of that.
17 amps at 13.4 if the POT is turned up from 12 volt or another of the same 210 watt supply but it can do over 14 volts (13.5 turned up all the way, I forget actual max volts) and 15 amps.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
thanks for your reply rick but im in need of about 22amps at a stable 13(to 15)volts for a ham radio transceiver, thats also why it should be quiet. also i need to get it here in germany (postage from the us would hurt i think) so i thought about another server psu to get off ebay
vnt17 is offline Find More Posts by vnt17
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:27 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Delta DPS-835AB, Artesyn 7001138-Y000, IBM x3650 3655 835W PSU Enable Pins.

Connect pin 3 to pin 4 to power up.

Slightly smaller than the DPS-600PB but has 20A more current.

The Artesyn model has a highly efficient electrical and thermal design.

It runs very cool for its small size. Great choice for portable use.

This PSU will not have the best voltage regulation if you use the connectors.

You need to solder the DC power wires/cables directly to the mainboard.

Voltage regulation will be near perfect once this is done.

A 5k pot between pin 17 and ground will adjust output voltage.

The fan will ramp up automatically with load.

Will also run without the fan so all fan mods will work.

The best way to find this PS is to search "IBM 835w power supply".
Is it difficult to lift the DC ground on this unit?
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:51 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Not really difficult. You must drill out each of the 2 screw holes in the DC end of the PC board and isolate them top and bottom with non-conductive washers. The holes are plated through the board. Instead of drilling them you could use non-conductive screws and a washer under the board.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
So I read a lot (but not all) of this thread and a few other threads. Is the Compaq HP ESP114 Series 12V 55A Power Supply still a good choice if size isn't a concern but noise is? I would plan to put two of them in series. I saw that the output can be floated... Or are there more recently "discovered" supplies that are easier to work with (use normal power plugs, etc) that are equally quiet?
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Last edited by Stereodude; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 AM
Reckless Driver
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
justpoet is offline Find More Posts by justpoet
Last edited by justpoet; Feb 19, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
help

Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone could help me get these supplies running for my battery charging station.
I have two I bought ,both for a HP Proliant DL580 G5 ..power supplies part numbers 440785-001 and 441830-001 HSTNS-PD11
I have converted a bunch of pc ones,but I am not at all familiar with these.
Are the pinouts gonna be the same as the one xandrios posted for the g3?
what do I need to do to have it fire up and stay reliable .
Any info would help.
I know just enough to be dangerous!.
here is a pic of them

John
Great Thread
dazeeman is offline Find More Posts by dazeeman