HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:41 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
We'll need to know which unit you are using.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:10 AM
Nederland, Noord-Brabant, Hoogerheide
Joined Mar 2007
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
We'll need to know which unit you are using.
3 of these: Delta Dps-350MB, Delta DPS-275DB
in a CAGE that my uncle got out of a server...
(my uncle said they should work parallel, so 75 amps max on 12v)

this is a ebay link of the cage:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Delta-RPS-350...ht_3351wt_1139

this is de part number of the cage: A53590-003
BadBert is offline Find More Posts by BadBert
Last edited by BadBert; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBert View Post
3 of these: Delta Dps-350MB, Delta DPS-275DB
in a CAGE that my uncle got out of a server...
(my uncle said they should work parallel, so 75 amps max on 12v)

this is a ebay link of the cage:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Delta-RPS-350...ht_3351wt_1139

this is de part number of the cage: A53590-003
That basically converts them to an ATX power supply it looks like. Shove them in and short the green wire on the 24 pin connector to a ground (any black wire) and it will probably turn on.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
618 Posts
Thats the idea.

And ok, thanks!

Any idea which pins give me 12v then?

And what about the issue mentioned above (so.they devide the asked amps)
Last edited by BadBert; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:07 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Any idea which pins give me 12 then?
Probably just take it from the 4 pin molex connectors like any other ATX power supply mod does.

Quote:
And what about the issue mentioned above (so.they devide the asked amps)
Not a clue. These are setup for redundant purposes not load sharing so you're guess is as good as mine. You'll have to test but I'm guessing it won't like putting out more then the capacity of one supply.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
618 Posts
Ok! Thanks so far. If anyone else has any info... please share.

My uncle told me that the cage could deliver 75amps max, that was also what they were ment for.

So ill test that! Thanks again

A am completely new to atx mods and conversions, so thanks for all the info!
Last edited by BadBert; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Dec 2004
766 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone had their power supply quit on them?
Happened to me twice so far. On both cases something inside exploded with a decent bang when plugging the power supply into the mains.
Nothing visible like an exploded cap or so.
First one was a Dell DPS-600, second one a HP HSTNS-PL11 (100A).
Both used 'stand alone' at 12V. First one was here at home, second one in Romania, that may have been some dodgy mains-voltages.

One suspicion I have is that the power supplies may not like extended 'idling' times. Sometimes they are feeding a charger which is discharging a LiPo, so they hardly supply current but are switched on for quite some time (and ofcourse it's not a 'regenerative' discharge). Would a constant load of some sort help?
The other one is that maybe it;'s not good to switch them on by plugging in the mains. Would it be better to switch on by first plugging them into mains and then using a small switch on the appropriate pins?

Curious to hear about further experiences on this....

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone had their power supply quit on them?
Happened to me twice so far. On both cases something inside exploded with a decent bang when plugging the power supply into the mains.
Nothing visible like an exploded cap or so.
First one was a Dell DPS-600, second one a HP HSTNS-PL11 (100A).
Both used 'stand alone' at 12V. First one was here at home, second one in Romania, that may have been some dodgy mains-voltages.

One suspicion I have is that the power supplies may not like extended 'idling' times. Sometimes they are feeding a charger which is discharging a LiPo, so they hardly supply current but are switched on for quite some time (and ofcourse it's not a 'regenerative' discharge). Would a constant load of some sort help?
The other one is that maybe it;'s not good to switch them on by plugging in the mains. Would it be better to switch on by first plugging them into mains and then using a small switch on the appropriate pins?

Curious to hear about further experiences on this....

Gerben
This is a interesting question! I too would like to know this. My server supply has gave me no trouble yet.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:54 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I have had a few that made a hole in the insulating paper between the main board and case. That can generate quite a bit of arcing. Then it will blow the fuse. The arcing burns up the circuit board and any surface mount devices nearby.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:26 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
I had a DPS-500 let go in my shop at 105F @ 38 amps of the 41 rated max on a 6 hour test. Failed at less than 1 hour. It was a decently loud POP.

Note to self: Either lessen ambient or amps.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:24 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could help me with the fan noise of the AA23300 PSU. I've got two hooked into a series successfully and am charging like a boss. However, the fan noise eats my brain. I don't have much to spare. If anyone can show me either how to slow these guys down or how to control them, that would be fantastic.

The fans are SANS 40's and here is the data sheet:
http://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_d...1328170755.pdf

They're temp controlled, but for some reason they run at 100% all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
Dell 1850 AA23300 PSU and Astec DS550-3 voltage control modification.

The Dell 1850 AA23300 PSU(550w) and Astec DS550-3 lack the external voltage sense pins(+12V Sense and +12V Return Sense)

that are required for voltage adjustment of the main 12V output.

This easy modification will connect the internal +12V Return Sense(also called -Ve Sense or Vs-) line to external pin D3.

Output voltage is now adjustable from 12V-14.4V(OVP). Usable voltage range is 12V-14.2V.

Regulation is rock solid as output voltage will rise ever so slightly with load.

I've connected this Sense line to pin D3 because the +12V Sense Return pin is usually located at position D3 on similar PSUs.

You don't need to connect the internal Sense line to pin D3. I just did it this way for convenience.

Connect a 1k -10k pot for voltage increase with clockwise rotation. Left leg to pin C3. Center wiper to pin D3. Right leg to pin D4.(For an upright pot)

If voltage is adjusted above 14.4V then the OVP(Over Voltage Protection) will simply shut down the PSU.

P.S. To slow the fans down to a moderate level simply wire them in series and connect them to the main DC output.

If fan noise is not an issue then just leave them as they are.
Kerbob is online now Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:47 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
My server stations all have loud fan units. I just suck it up and live with the noise.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:43 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone could help me with the fan noise of the AA23300 PSU. I've got two hooked into a series successfully and am charging like a boss. However, the fan noise eats my brain. I don't have much to spare. If anyone can show me either how to slow these guys down or how to control them, that would be fantastic.

Search is a wonderful thing...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
P.S. To slow the fans down to a moderate level simply wire them in series and connect them to the main DC output.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:14 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post

There will be 4 power wires that come from the fan combo unit. Red+ and Black- from one fan. Orange+ and Grey- from the second fan.. To wire the fans in series just connect the Orange and Black wires together. Then connect the Red wire to the 12VDC output. And connect the Grey wire to DC ground.. The PDF that you included also contains this information..
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
how to pin out astec aa23920l psu

does any one know how to pin out a astec psu power supply model astec aa23920l made by emerson for ibm ibm pn#39y7349 ibm fru pn# 39y7364 i tryed emerson an ibm both will not help me ???????
shadygrady is offline Find More Posts by shadygrady