Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:49 AM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,426 Posts
everydayflyer, thanks I should be good... I'm still flying 450/250 size helis so i don't have the huge power requirements some of ya'll have.
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
Oxford,Mississippi
Oxford, MS U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavis22 View Post
Hi,

That looks a lot like my HP PS, post #24. On mine the small pins are in the center instead of on the right, but it is very similar.

If you know someone with electrical skills, show him or her this thread and offer a small bribe, I use 6-packs . It is not too hard with some experience.

M
Thanks M, I'll ask around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon321 View Post
Try plugging the pins

. . . . . .
x . . . . .
. . . . . x
x . . . . .

and it should turn on i have a dell and that the ones i had to plug together to get to turn on and provide power
OK, I'll short these pins and see what happens and let y'all know.....Kinda nervous, but I think I can do it.
HighNear90 is offline Find More Posts by HighNear90
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:04 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
Ref my Compaq Proliant 169286-002 750W PSU. AKA PS4060
Think I may have a dud. I grounded the short pin which is 2nd row down on the left edge. This stabilised the pin voltages but I can't get it to turn on by grounding every other pin in turn.

I have a lot of -4.56V - all blades except the left one which is ground, plus about 10 of the small pins. Sounds a bit strange. Not much demand for -5V!

Several of the pins have +0.35V on them.

Had a look inside - no obvious burn marks! The green AC pwr LED is on, the status LED is off.

Anyone any suggestions?

BTW, thanks a lot to all contributors to this informative thread. I was looking forward to making a positive contribution!
linw is offline Find More Posts by linw
Last edited by linw; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added PS4060
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:41 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
Well, I have made some progress. I have got the fan going (loud!) and some voltages on the blades. I shorted the short pin with the two top right.

However, I can't see anything like 12V on the blades. The leftmost one is chassis ground but don't think this is power gnd as well.

If I use the small pin gnd (the three shorted wires point), I get blade voltages as follows:- 2nd from left 5.4V, 3rd 9.75, 4th 1.95V, 5th 1.95V, 6th 1.95V, 7th 5.79V, 8th 5.79V.

If I use the left blade as gnd, the volts drop away on all blades (capacitor-like effect) so this can't be pwr gnd.

Can't seem to get a handle on what is the high power gnd.

Anyone make any more sense of this than me? The right 5 blades are grouped 3 + 2 by the look of it.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:58 AM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
OK, I think I have cracked it.

. . . . . x pwr on

x . x x x . First is short pin enable. Then 3 X gnd - use any of these

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

Grounding the short pin and the pwr on pins gets the fan roaring like a 747! It also produces blade voltages as follows:-

Blade 1 - chassis gnd
Blade 2 - +3.7V (3.3V)
Blade 3 - +12.82 (12V)
Blades 4,5,6 - gnd
Blade 7,8 - +5.48V (5V)

I still have two concerns. According to a sticker on a supply on a web site (it is not on mine) the Status LED is supposed to be steady green if all is well. Mine is not lit. There is only a green AC pwr LED.

Considering that there is only one blade for 12V, I wonder about its current capacity. There is nothing on the PSU to show what the current capability is and I couldn't find anything by googling. It is a 750W supply so it has to be capable of a lot of current from somewhere!

Anyway, some progress has been made. Next step is to test it with a load. I will report back.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:49 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,161 Posts
That makes sense. You have a 5V 40A line (2 pins), a 12V 25A line and a 3.3V 40A line. I Googled the PS number and found a circuit diagram here from someone who made a 115Vac / 400Hz inverter out of one.

http://members.home.nl/a.k.bouwknegt...gle%20line.pdf

Wish we could do the same for some of our other finds!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by linw View Post
OK, I think I have cracked it.

. . . . . x pwr on

x . x x x . First is short pin enable. Then 3 X gnd - use any of these

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

Grounding the short pin and the pwr on pins gets the fan roaring like a 747! It also produces blade voltages as follows:-

Blade 1 - chassis gnd
Blade 2 - +3.7V (3.3V)
Blade 3 - +12.82 (12V)
Blades 4,5,6 - gnd
Blade 7,8 - +5.48V (5V)

I still have two concerns. According to a sticker on a supply on a web site (it is not on mine) the Status LED is supposed to be steady green if all is well. Mine is not lit. There is only a green AC pwr LED.

Considering that there is only one blade for 12V, I wonder about its current capacity. There is nothing on the PSU to show what the current capability is and I couldn't find anything by googling. It is a 750W supply so it has to be capable of a lot of current from somewhere!

Anyway, some progress has been made. Next step is to test it with a load. I will report back.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:20 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
Thanks a lot, John, for your find. I never latched onto the PS4060 moniker for some reason. Bit of a surprise to find circ diagrams! I see the guy who modded it found the fan bloody noisy, too! I'll drop its voltage, as well, to tone it down. Maybe I will implement a switched speed control for light and heavy loads.

25A from the 12V rail should be fine for me. Currently 2A is enough but I am looking to the future where I see bigger electrics replacing my IC planes.

Cheers,

Lindsay.

PS The status light probably requires inputs from the computer through the control pins.
Last edited by linw; Jun 24, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNear90 View Post
Thanks M, I'll ask around.

OK, I'll short these pins and see what happens and let y'all know.....Kinda nervous, but I think I can do it.
You are probably already doing this, but do use a 1K resistor in series to jump pins to ground to reduce the risk of frying the power supply.
MDavis22 is offline Find More Posts by MDavis22
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:48 AM
Oxford,Mississippi
Oxford, MS U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavis22 View Post
You are probably already doing this, but do use a 1K resistor in series to jump pins to ground to reduce the risk of frying the power supply.
Actually, I have no idea how to do this. I'll have to do a little research before I give it a shot. So I jump those pins to ground or each other?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,161 Posts
All it means is to use a 1k resistor rather than a wire to join pins to each other or to ground. Since the maxiimum voltage anywhere is 12V, the max current that can flow is 12mA which won't cause any nasty problems no matter what you do. Still is an effective ground or short for signal purposes though.

My first attempt would be to find a pin which is ground (that is 0V with respect to the -Ve output using a multimeter) and start connecting others to it. If there is a shorter pin than all the others that will almost certainly need to be grounded as well.

Did you read Post 7?

Let us know how you go.

John
Quote:
Actually, I have no idea how to do this. I'll have to do a little research before I give it a shot. So I jump those pins to ground or each other?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:53 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
John, as you can see from my posts, my biggest stumbling block was finding the grounds. If you can't readily find a ground it makes all voltages look pretty silly. In my case, the case was not a starting point as it seems to be connected by a capacitor (all voltages slowly fell).

If we could quickly and reliably determine a ground, the rest should be simple going by the results so far. It's a pity the grounded blades weren't painted black!

Maybe you have a good method for us (short of removing the circ boards, hopefully!)?

Lindsay.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:58 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,161 Posts
Sorry, only sure fire method I know is to open the case and look at the PC board. It's normally then pretty obvious what the grounds are.

However if you find a number of output pins connected together and they are about half the total number of pins it's a fair bet they are the common ground (-ve output voltage) pins.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by linw View Post
John, as you can see from my posts, my biggest stumbling block was finding the grounds. If you can't readily find a ground it makes all voltages look pretty silly. In my case, the case was not a starting point as it seems to be connected by a capacitor (all voltages slowly fell).

If we could quickly and reliably determine a ground, the rest should be simple going by the results so far. It's a pity the grounded blades weren't painted black!

Maybe you have a good method for us (short of removing the circ boards, hopefully!)?

Lindsay.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:24 AM
Oxford,Mississippi
Oxford, MS U.S.A.
Joined Aug 2000
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
All it means is to use a 1k resistor rather than a wire to join pins to each other or to ground. Since the maxiimum voltage anywhere is 12V, the max current that can flow is 12mA which won't cause any nasty problems no matter what you do. Still is an effective ground or short for signal purposes though.

My first attempt would be to find a pin which is ground (that is 0V with respect to the -Ve output using a multimeter) and start connecting others to it. If there is a shorter pin than all the others that will almost certainly need to be grounded as well.

Did you read Post 7?

Let us know how you go.

John
Thanks John, I'll go to get one today.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:42 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,161 Posts
The value isn't all that critical. 1k is a very very common size but anything around that value will serve the purpose. I wouldn't fuss if I had a resistor anywhere beween 500 ohms to 10k. It's just really to limit the amount of current that can flow to a safe small amount. They are so cheap you will probably have to buy a packet of 10 as a minimum.

John
Quote:
Thanks John, I'll go to get one today.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:41 PM
Wellington, NZ
Joined Aug 2006
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
snip
However if you find a number of output pins connected together and they are about half the total number of pins it's a fair bet they are the common ground (-ve output voltage) pins.

John
I think you are right, John. If you then connect the negative multimeter lead to your surmised grounds and measure the voltages on the matrix pins, these voltages should make logical sense. I would be looking for a probable -12V, -5V and +5V (standby) for starters. The others I would expect to see very low positive (inputs) or positive voltages (mine has several +4.96 for example).

Bit of a black art but if I had a next time I feel I would have a better idea how to get the grounds quicker than my first stumbling attempt.

The circ diagram for mine shows the -12V, -5V and +5 (stdby) being fed from LM337 (neg) and LM317 (pos) regulators which would make them overload/short safe.