SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2009, 02:56 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
Discussion
12V power strip or bus bar

Hi all,

I am trying to run 5 chargers off my new IOTA 55Amp power supply. Right now I have an Integy 12V power strip, but the input wire gets friggen hot during charging with only 20 amps going through it.

Wondering if there is a better 12V power strip or bus-bar solution out there. I found the West Mountian Radio Rig Runners, but they are not switched outlets, which I would prefer.

Anyone have any gold nuggests out there?

Thanks,
Jason
Sillyness is offline Find More Posts by Sillyness
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,663 Posts
I use 12 ga silicon super flex pigtails with APP connectors and matching APP on my chargers. Switches just add resistence ,so do fuses.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:08 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,636 Posts
I use multiple Rigrunners. Since the idle current of most chargers is minimal the lack of individual switched ports doesn't bother me.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:26 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,004 Posts
hi there from Toledo

I have used the West Mountain Radio rig runner with the power poles since they became available. The lack of switch is of minimal concern to me since each output is fused to your own specifications and the power poles come apart fairly easily. I like it.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:22 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
I also prefer power poles, but if banana jacks are your preference, check out MFJ products. Here is one - there are several others.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
50 Posts
I had a similar situation and ended up making my own distribution strip out of a project box. I used two binding posts as the input and three more sets of them in parallel for the output. I like binding posts because I do a lot of stuff with my power supply and they let me use banana plugs or just clamp alligator clips or bare wires in them. I also added a voltmeter and ammeter so I could keep an eye on my power supply since I was using a converted chassis mount one with no readouts.

Looks sort of like below, you could add as many outputs as you needed. Just one option for you!

sketchyB is offline Find More Posts by sketchyB
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:50 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
There is one on the MFJ website I think I will go with... it has 4 sets of Power Poles, 2 sets of high-current banannas, uses 8-gauge input wire, and is good to 40 Amps.

The project would probably cost me $30-40 bones to build... the quality stuff at radio shack is expensive.

I don't really need meters.... I don't care about stressing my power supply... it's good to 55 Amps. The 40 amp fuse in the distro box will blow before I exceed the power-supply's limits. Plus, the PS has built in safeties. Additionally... all my chargers tell me the input voltage.

Thanks for all your inputs!!!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
FWIW... here is the one I'm grabbing:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-1124

Even comes with extra Power Poles. Two of my chargers have banannas... I'll leave those. The other ones have alligator clips... I'll snip those off and crimp the included PPs on... too easy!!!
Last edited by Sillyness; Feb 22, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:12 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
OK... here's a much better price with much cheaper shipping...

http://aero-smith.net/cart/index.php...ort=20a&page=1

Cheers!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:48 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness
There is one on the MFJ website I think I will go with... it has 4 sets of Power Poles, 2 sets of high-current banannas, uses 8-gauge input wire, and is good to 40 Amps.

The project would probably cost me $30-40 bones to build... the quality stuff at radio shack is expensive.

I don't really need meters.... I don't care about stressing my power supply... it's good to 55 Amps. The 40 amp fuse in the distro box will blow before I exceed the power-supply's limits. Plus, the PS has built in safeties. Additionally... all my chargers tell me the input voltage.

Thanks for all your inputs!!!
Okay, but if you're trying run five charges as you indicated in your original post then some will have to have Powerpoles and some will have to have banana plugs in order to run five charges simultaneously.

I've standardized all my chargers on Powerpoles so I can plug any charger into any Rigrunner I have. No worries about mis-matched connectors or adapter cords.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2004
864 Posts
I thought the variety would be nice... it keeps me from having to change some plugs, and it allows friends with both types of charger leads to use my strip at mass events. The bannana jacks will allow those with alligator clips to use my setup too. I can actually fit 4 chargers on the 2 sets of bannana jacks... 2 bannanas and 2 clips.

I'll have 2 of my chargers with bannanas and the rest on PP, so no issues for me.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
These make mounting APPs easy. There are several sizes to hold from 4 to 10 APP housings.

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pr...88&DESC=1470G4

https://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/pf.aspx?FN=218.pdf
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh