HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
Discussion
RC Lander F 16 build thread

Ok
I figured I would post a thread of the build of the RC Lander F 16. So far the introduction into foam EDF's has been..interesting. These things are delicate.....very delicate.

Well, the plane arrived and had a small issue with a puncture in the fuse. No problem, Tim Wan and EJF are making god and sending a new one!
So far CS is A1.

I started with the retracts and I nearly forgot what a pain the retracts are toi get right and adjust. I was used to Robarts, Spring airs and the only mechanicals I had were Hobbico's rotating retracts on my F4U Corsair.
My experience with mechanicals taught me patience and mere millimeters can make the difference between down and locked or down and...maybe. In my Corsair I got good at greasing it in and it has been years since they needed adjusting or servicing.

Back to the F16....

The servos provided are decent, not awesome but good enough to get the job done. Using a 9C Futaba adusting endpoints was a snap and I slowly brought it up to the limits where servo buzz was not there (or little) but had a positive lock.

Installing the retracts was a matter of screws (servo screws to boot) and some epoxy on the plywood for a little added insurance.

Installing the maze of pre-bent (thank you RC Lander) wire was pretty straight foward. the directions are only helpful in the fuzzy illustrations. Text is...well almost a foreign laguage . Not a good translation and somewhat vague.

After the retracts were in ,a dozen or so cycles on a bench I was satisfied.. A 4.8 v pack did the duty for testing. The nose steering is as any retract nose wheel would be except of course, smaller and on the light weight . ( I hate the word flimsy)

Next is running the wires for some lights (NAV and strobe) and the after burner lights once the new Fuse is in.

I did make a bench run of the motor with the battery I got from EJF, and boy is it loud and powerful.

The WRAM show is this weekend so I was there this morning I picked up the y harnesses and deans connector (not supplied : ( .............. ) and did a solder all the leads, and heat shrinked it all up and gave it a run. At first the polarity was reversed and it ran backwards and then the throttle channel was needed to be reversed because well.....I dunno . Either way a flip of a switch makes that all better.

Ok...so far....I like it, apprehensive becasue it is foam, it is a bit smaller that the gas and nitro animals I am used to but the customer service has been great and it is well made and well engineered from my observation so far.

Wish me luck... more posts to follow.
VA174 is offline Find More Posts by VA174
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:13 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Looking good,

Hey, can I ask you where you got the afterburner lighting from. Been trying to track down a source.

Thanks

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:21 AM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
tinybritelights.com
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
waiting for the replacement fuse...

Whi;le waiting for the replacement fuse, it gives me time to think about what set up i will use for the lights. I am usuing an MPI set up for the navs and strobes. So far, not thrilled with the navs.
they are using color filters on white LED's so its not the brightest.
For the strobes a micro LED just aft of the main gear is plenty bright and real small.

I glued in the position lights but they can be removed, the slit in the foam was only to tuck the wire, its not glued yet. the lits tem selves are glued but can be removed if it really starts to bother me how dim they look.

Any ideas on where to get a nav light set that is very bright??

Pics:
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlXfNweRV0
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
New color version F-16D WR flying video

Dear all,

Today, I have taken our new color version F-16D WR with metal retract gear for testing flight. The result is so well. Attached is the related video and some photoes for sharing with all of you.

RCLander F 16D WR with Metal Gear update flying video (3 min 58 sec)

After modification of widen distance of main gear that is gained a so satisfaction result to handle of take off, landing and taxing action. That is shown at video. FYI, all F-16D version will be come with a new decal sticker.

Happy flying and hope all of you like it.

Best regards,
Tim
Tim Wan is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wan
Last edited by Tim Wan; May 23, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:58 PM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
Wow.
Looks great Tim. When will you be shipping (or EJF) be shipping that cheater hole mod between the fins? Also, how much for the metal landing gear as opposed to the plastic?

What will be needed to widen the gear so it is more stable on the ground so it can still retract in the bay?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA174
Wow.
Looks great Tim. When will you be shipping (or EJF) be shipping that cheater hole mod between the fins? Also, how much for the metal landing gear as opposed to the plastic?

What will be needed to widen the gear so it is more stable on the ground so it can still retract in the bay?
Dear VA174,

The new intake cover will be shipped to all dealers (included of EJF) for our existing F-16 version owners (free of charge) on early of next week. Please contact with your nearest dealer for further detail and regarding of metal gear issue.
On the other hand, you need to cut out some foam and adjust the hard wood bay angle to gain widen of both main gear distance up to 165-175mm. That will be more stable on the ground and still retract in bay. If you have any question, please contact me.

Best regards,
Tim
Tim Wan is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wan
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2009
134 Posts
Thanks Tim. i had some questions on some pieces of plastic that are included in the kit. I will take pix and post and hopefully get the answers I need.

Vince
O yeas, I did widen the stance some for better ground performance. I shimmed it up on the interior of the mains before screwing it in with some nylon washers. Voila!
Last edited by VA174; Feb 24, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
White Salmon, Wa
Joined Oct 2003
2,588 Posts
Tim,
The Edwards colors look great but it looks like you have taken some liberties with it. I can't find any pix of the full scale that have the red around the intake lip. On the ground they have a red cover to keep dirt and birds out but they take that off for flight.
I want to order one but would be glad to wait for the metal gear with the right spread and all the latest upgrades, etc.

Kip
RCAV8R13 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R13
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX ASK 21 with EDF pod
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,497 Posts
The photo of the Rafale and F16 side by side is a really great photo Tim.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA174
Wow.

VA174,

I will post some picture of my retract bay. I widened mine up alot. The main wheels sit outside of the fins. And I can (could) taxi at full throttle with no wobble. I say "could" because on my maiden the rx pack failed and she went in. I have a new one on the way, but will wait to build until I get the cheater covers and metal gears.
I will get the pics up tonight.

James

PS. Here is the video of the maiden and crash.

James F-16 (4 min 6 sec)
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Ouch,

Sorry to see that one. Looks to be a total.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Ouch,

Sorry to see that one. Looks to be a total.

Jim

Ya it was NASTY. But all the electronics survived. I put the edf unit and ESC in my Hobby Lobby F-16 and WOW 80+mph. New one on the way. I really like the way she flew as well. Great jet, awesome power, and easy to biuld. RClander did a good job on this one. Cant wait for the new jets.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,169 Posts
The Falcon is a pleasure to fly every time I take it up.
Im hoping to get some good pics and maybe video a the Tucson Jet Rally next week.
I'll be sure to post them here!

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller