HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2003, 02:56 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Old School RC Meridian 400 beta build!

Hi gang!

www.oldschoolrc.com is about to come out with a 400 sized pattern ship called the Meridian and I'm lucky enough to be doing a beta build on this kit. This is an early beta and as such didn't include some of the hardware that will be included with the kit, but here's an overall shot of the wood. Overall the laser cutting looks well done.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2003, 03:03 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's what 55 minutes of work can do. The fuselage and tail feathers are done aside from final sanding. The mount in the nose is for the hacker B20-15L though mounts for other motors are included in the kit.

Construction in a few areas goes back to more classic methods such as cross grain sheeting, but it's still a very quick and easy build.

Overall the fuselage is very strong as it's mostly 3/32" stock. The tail feathers are also quite strong being 1/8".

The tail feathers are tabbed so as to interlock and are made wide enough such that misalignment isn't a problem. Mine came out perfectly symmetrical with no full sized plans to work over.

More to come!

Martin
Last edited by Martin Hunter; Mar 17, 2003 at 03:08 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 06:27 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's where another 45 minutes of work got me. The wing came out true mostly due (I'm sure) to the multi-layered trailing edge. Construction on this is very similar to the Zipper and that's a good thing. More to come!

Martin
Old Mar 17, 2003, 06:39 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I forgot to add... the weight as you see her in the above pic is 3 oz/ 85 g. That's on par with planes such as the miniflash and raven, so I'm going to be in the 17 to 20 oz range once all is said and done.

Martin
Old Mar 17, 2003, 07:58 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,707 Posts
Looks good so far-wow, you are really busy building! I really appreciate your construction threads!

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:08 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Martin,
So let me get this straight, you've spent a grand total of one hour and Forty minutes framing this plane up. Geez, another 2 minutes and you'll have it ready for covering. Another 20 hours you'll have her covered.

Looks great, glad you like it.

--Paul
www.oldschoolrc.com
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Growing impatient...

I'm watching all these Meridian building threads and NOBODY has one FINISHED yet so I can see what it looks like complete! Just a zillion "bones" pics...grrr.
Sorry Paul, your pics you posted in the other thread don't really show me what I need. Guess I'll just have to wait...some more.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:35 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Hey Rick, unfortunatly the first one we didn't take too many pictures of. The one I have been building in the other thread has slowed down due to my covering, which I take forever. Mine should be done in about a day at the rate I'm going. (I spent 2 hours on the ailerons tonight)
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2003, 01:32 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Rick, compare the wait on the guys putting out kits from their basement businesses to something like the GWS A-10 or Zagi Fixx and you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how quickly these kits come out I know Paul puts in as much time as possible between school and the rest of life to get things just right before release.

Paul, yeah 1 hour 40 minutes to the above pictures. Wild! I spent about an hour tonight doing a bunch of sanding - some necessary for "finishing" and some just because of my being picky. I also mounted some legs on her.

Those of you following along - the kit does not, at this point, include any provisions for landing gear but I hear from a reliable source (whose name may be Paul) there will likely be a mod kit available after the initial production run to add landing gear. The mod kit gear very likely won't be the same as mine so ignore the style and look more at the stance

The weight as you see her here, frame and gear all inclusive, is 3.4oz or 95g.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 01:34 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a bit of a closer shot showing the gear itself for those of you curious. Yes, that is a former switchback landing gear. I just drilled and tapped out the bottom sheeting and hardened the threads with thin CA.

Rick, I forgot to add... once I start covering I tend to get it done quickly as I quite enjoy it. This isn't far from flying. I do know the feeling of bouncing up and down waiting for a kit though. Say Paul, any word on the Waco?

Martin
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:03 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***I'm watching all these Meridian building threads and NOBODY has one FINISHED yet so I can see what it looks like complete! Just a zillion "bones" pics...grrr.

Patients..
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:23 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genovia
***I'm watching all these Meridian building threads and NOBODY has one FINISHED yet so I can see what it looks like complete! Just a zillion "bones" pics...grrr.

Patients..
Yep, Just a little patience All I have to do when Martin is building is hit the refresh button to get the progress up to date ! I sure like the looks of the Meridian, Paul and Dreamer.
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:15 AM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Fancy covering jobs take too long, from now on I"m only covering my planes in one color, it goes faster. I spent 2 hours sanding and covering my ailerons. Oh, here is a shot with one of the new canopys setting on top of her, sans hatch.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Very nice Paul, I'd say it was worth the extra effort
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:28 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Nice work as always Martin!

Great looking bird Paul! Excellent covering job! But you may not have noticed that the canopy is too small to cover the hole in the fuse
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright