HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
29 Posts
Discussion
Off Road Track Plans?

If this is the wrong forum, would a mod please move it to the right place?

I'm helping host my local town's second annual car show adn we thought it might be fun to have an off road RC car track setup off to one side of the field. Its located right next to the town garage and we have access to alot of stone, dirt and other basic outdoor track materials. Additionally we have the co-operation of the town and the heavy equipment operators. I'd like to setup a course thats interesting enough to be fun (so probably a basic flat oval is not the answer), but not so challenging that it can't be mastered quickly...I want to have a bunch of people have fun with it, not wreck their cars and frustrate them because they can't get around the track.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some general plans or a place where Ic an go give myself a crash education in how to design my own? I think some mild jumps, banks corners and maybe a nice straight would be great fun.

I don't have a great sense of what kinds of cars would be brought to the track, so I'm planning it more or less around my own cars which are older Tamiya 2wd and 4wd buggies. For all I know I'll get a bunch of kids showing up with rc batmobiles that go forward and turn in reverse, or I might get a dozen guys with 1/8 scale gas moster trucks.

So I'm flying blind here, have to make a best effort and if it proves successful maybe I can adjust my strategy later. With any luch I'll be able to leave the track semi-permanently and the town residents will make regular use of it.

Ideas? HELP!!
tdoyle is offline Find More Posts by tdoyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,398 Posts
where is it located? i have a 1/8 scale nitro
rc_pro_86 is offline Find More Posts by rc_pro_86
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:15 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i hope you find some good plans. i need some plans as well, and a new shock.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:37 PM
Joined Jun 2007
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_pro_86
where is it located? i have a 1/8 scale nitro
I'll be building it in Peru, MA. We're very western MA.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,398 Posts
ok, so you want like some idea's of jumps and stuff?
rc_pro_86 is offline Find More Posts by rc_pro_86
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:06 AM
Joined Jun 2007
29 Posts
Yeah, thats the general idea. Looking for more of a fun track than a formal cometitive one. If I build jumps it might be nice if there were a bypass route around the base or maybe have the jump go over another part of the track, like a figure 8 crossover or something. Maybe some whoop-dee-doos, banked curves and some other stuff that might make it interesting.

Trying to get ideas and plans together so when spring gets here we can get to work and get it done.

I have no idea how much space I have to play with...it may be limited and may need to be temporary only so it can't be too pie in the sky since I may have to tear it down.