HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
park etiquette with other RC pilots

I have been enjoying my stock mini super cub at the local park ever since christmas. Yesterday, it was a perfect sunny 60 degrees with 5mph winds, so I was at the park with my MSC.

A kid shows up with a parkzone trojan, stock setup it looked, probably RTF. I walked over, told him his model looked sweet, verified what frequency he was running (72MHz) before continuing my flying on my MSC (27MHz).

He got set up and started out with some pretty crazy maneuvers before crashing at full speed right into the ground, breaking off a wing.

He immediate looked toward me with an appalled face and yelled "You didn't have yours on, did you?!?!"

I was like, "Umm...yeah. I'm on 27 MHz, though."

He said that it just started freaking out on him as if he had no aileron control. I asked him how his control surface check and distance check went, and he just made a face and collected his plane and left the park.

I'm pretty sure I did the right thing in saying hi and verifying his TX frequency, yet he acted like his crash was somehow my fault.

I need someone to tell me I didn't do it!
gsgleason is offline Find More Posts by gsgleason
Last edited by gsgleason; Feb 17, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:50 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,472 Posts
you didn't do it
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I've had 27mhz systems interfere with my 72 mhz, but I was standing right next to the person. (<10ft). We had some wierd frequency issues at the field about a week ago where myself and one other guy got shot down. We had all previously checked our channels and none were conflicting. We initially thought it was our two radios doing it to each other, but he got shot down hard once again later in the day when my gear was all turned off and packed up. We realized at that time there were a few guys driving rc cars on the other side of the field, but generally they don't operate on 72. In the end though, we never figured it out 100%, and I haven't had a problem since on the same channel.

You did the right thing checking channels though. I get a little irritated if I see people flying on the opposite side of the park from where most of us fly and they haven't stopped in to check for possible channel overlaps.

Chances are if he was flying the rtf t-28, then his rx was the issue.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; Feb 17, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason
He got set up and started out with some pretty crazy maneuvers before crashing at full speed right into the ground, breaking off a wing.
Makes me think there was no "glitch", rather he flew it into the ground. Nice to have you there as a scapegoat.

foam.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:33 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Sounds like a snotty little kid that his parents bought him his plane
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined May 2008
239 Posts
One other thing, and I may be in the wrong, but if you are in the air and there is a possible conflict, wouldn't it be prudent for HIM to not turn on? That could have brought you down while he hadn't even rolled off the ground yet? No?
bpeltzer is offline Find More Posts by bpeltzer
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
You did standard RC procedure . Ordinary cooperation. Fortunately planes never do BS, and either the kid will learn and do RC right or won't be seen at the park again. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
9 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the booster.
gsgleason is offline Find More Posts by gsgleason
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,888 Posts
Their are still lots of people that like to blame other or the plane itself rather then taking responsibility for making a false move and crashing. Was easier for him to blame you.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
It's never your thumbs. Easier to blame the radio. Even easier to blame the 72mhz radio and then say that you should buy a 2.4 ghz system.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,472 Posts
You did the right thing asking the other flier what channel. If there was a conflict it would have showed up as soon as the second transmitter was turned on on the same channel. Not after a few minutes of both planes flying fine. The new flier just does not understand and needs to learn so he/she does look like an idiot when they open their mouths.

Next time you meet up with this kid be respectful and teach him so he knows it was'nt your radio. Then he can figure out what went wrong and fix it (whether its his equipment or his thumbs) before he hurts someone and gets your park closed for RC flying.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I'm putting my money on the stock radio system glitching. 2.4ghz is also just as reliable as a good 72mhz radio (I.E. JR, Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics- the top 4 brands, and all have/are comming out with 2.4ghz systems). My Hitec Optic 6 works just as good as 72mhz, and the same goes for my Airtronics Vision (which has a fast responce time ).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:56 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Next time you meet up with this kid be respectful and teach him....

That's a really good point, rockbus. Maybe he's just a snotty kid and there's no hope, but maybe he's just a normal adolescent trying to be the macho cool .

If that happens, it's obviously a pain, but maybe it's worth a shot trying to make friends, settle him down and help him out. If it doesn't work, no problem, but it could turn into a neat experience with an RC newbie .

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
At least you know what freq he was on... we (7 of us) will be flying and all of the sudden someone will spot another plane at the far end of the park...no idea who or what channel. Its like "Wh^^ the ****", he had to drive PAST us to get back there so why didnt he stop and ask what channels we are on???

No your in the right, you might be at park but if its frequented by rc pilots then you all need to do the basic checks just like a club would.... what channel is everyone on, whats the "pattern", and announce take off and landings just to be safe. I know alot of us fly at parks to avoid the rules of clubs but we still need to use the basic rules to keep the planes and park goers safe, one accident could lead to you losing the priviledge of flying in the park. Remember its city property so they can ban you at any time. We police ourselves so after 4 years we still havent had any problems.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:35 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
That's a really good point, rockbus. Maybe he's just a snotty kid and there's no hope, but maybe he's just a normal adolescent trying to be the macho cool .

If that happens, it's obviously a pain, but maybe it's worth a shot trying to make friends, settle him down and help him out. If it doesn't work, no problem, but it could turn into a neat experience with an RC newbie .

Icky
The local slope we fly at is "Uncontrolled" and is a state beach. The regulars want to keep the slope open so we approach anyone new and let them know to check frequencies. I've never heard of anyone we approached react in a negative way. In many cases they're new flyers that would appreciate some help and they'll end up just like the rest of us, hooked on flying.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member