HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:30 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Discussion
Tangent ASH 26 , Maiden report

Lots of rain , no work and a project that has been on the build bench for a year or so!!! am I the only one? This is my way of getting a big a$$ sailplane without spending Big Bucks on a 3m + carbon moldie!

The photo shows the second attempt at attaching the wing lockers , my first try failed because the epoxy got into the female side , I got it apart before the epoxy completely set so not much damage was done. I used grease to keep the resin from flowing into the fuselage side but that did not work , so now there is a piece of latex glove there to keep the resin out ( hopefully). I inject it into the hole on the top and the setup is in perfect alignment . ( This worked fine on an ASW27b )

After all this time in the build Que , two servos that were to go into the wing ended up in something else so no spoilers for this plane . I think I can get 60 deg of flaps so crow should be enough , I never had good luck with spoilers anyway , they can always be easily added later.

The question now is how anal do I get with the cockpit detail ? My usual thing is to print up a panel on sticky back and put some black plastic on for a cowl . Time was , I'd make X-rated cockpit detail but I'm a Grandpa now so those days are gone Once you glue the whole thing together anything that comes loose just rattles around !!! pita. The other possibility is a trap door in the bottom so I could put mice in to see how the Raptors react, ( but that is a subject for another forum , sorry ! ) OK enough of this , I think that epoxy is set.

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Last edited by Duke58; Mar 09, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:25 PM
Are you serious?
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2005
433 Posts
Earl, looks nice. I seen one of these fly here in Oz and they really fly nicely. I have a 1/3rd scale ASH on my books to start this year and seeing your really puts the motivation monster in top gear.
Go all the way for your cockpit :-) it does add to the beauty!
M
Miraj is offline Find More Posts by Miraj
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Thanks Miraj , everyone needs motivation!! I should have this Bad Girl in the air this weekend if I can remember how to set-up the radio the way I want I have about 7 other planes with the same sort of span wise flap and crow programming and I go through this every time Each model has gotten to the same place from slightly different program paths ( kinda like my brain ) I'll be sure and get video , always maiden with video ,,,,right? The canopy is going on with two sided tape so I can get in and detail later , also I think it will survive hard landings better if it's not attached ridged.

Earl
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:26 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,895 Posts
Looks great Earl!.
Where you gonna maiden at?
BTW..."atmospheric river" predicted for Sat. nite through Mon.
Skies.
Jay.
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Thanks Jay , got the stickers on and had her up on the balance beam last night, all I need to do is put the seal tape on the flaps and ailerons. I'll haul her up to DV today but if the wind is South , no go! The back hill has no secondary LZ

I'll post the last pretty picture of her when I get to the shop this morning.

Earl
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:39 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Finally got the ASH 26 in the air Sunday and what a great day it was! Good lift ,clear skies and no foam The plane is better than I expected, just a click of down trim and she was happy , after a few circles to check out stalls and rudder throws I was down on the ridge making turns and getting the wing tips green We took some video but those things are kind of boring unless there is carnage, I may put a short highlights vid together though.

I can't wait to get this plane to Los Banos for some big air , not a lot of money , well spent! Thanks Jay

Earl