HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Discussion
Building a similar Minimoa kinda glider(scratch)

This is a scratchbuild, aside from the plane, im mainly concerned about launching, ive been trying DLG's but ive only gotten maybe 60ft max of height throw just because my planes are weak so i was wussy throwing them. Anyways... how high do you think a pole will take me? like a pole and some line, ill just drag the plane over my head... thinking a 40in span mini Minimoa... AUW around 10-12oz... R/E model, or maybe i could make one of those crossbow launchers or an over shoulder launcher like a missle launcher lol bottom line is i have no winch start, or bungee chords... so im just going to use string and something... ill figure it out, how strong do these gliders need to be?

GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Last edited by GreenAce92; Feb 16, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:55 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Just an idea.... what if i took a rope, slung it over a branch, and attached on one end a really big rock, then i would pull that back, and attach my plane(i know a rigging system already that will release) ill hold the line taught till im ready to release then when i release, the rock will go down taking my plane up.... it wont go into the trees because it'll reach a fast enough speed... but that sounds kinda dumb... got a quick stupid stick figure pic comin up
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
Just an idea.... what if i took a rope, slung it over a branch, and attached on one end a really big rock, then i would pull that back, and attach my plane(i know a rigging system already that will release) ill hold the line taught till im ready to release then when i release, the rock will go down taking my plane up.... it wont go into the trees because it'll reach a fast enough speed... but that sounds kinda dumb... got a quick stupid stick figure pic comin up

Wow...umm...

You'd have a MUCH easier time going with an upstart:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE638&P=ML
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:09 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
yeah probably im broke at the moment soo...
i dont know...
thanks for the tip im not being dumb/ignorant im just poor at the moment lol
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:32 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
yeah probably im broke at the moment soo...
i dont know...
thanks for the tip im not being dumb/ignorant im just poor at the moment lol

Well...being poor shouldn't stop you. Hell...I'm poor right now...

Go to a medical supply store and buy about 15-20 feet of surgical tubing. Should only cost a few bucks.

Then use some heavy twine or better yet 30 lb fishing line. Tie a streamer to the keychain ring on the end and you have an upstart on the cheap!

Use some sort of tent stake on the rubber end for ground attachment.

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:03 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Yeah sounds good ill see what i can do... thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,674 Posts
I've heard of large rubber bands being looped together to make a low powered bungee. And there is always towline, where one runs with the glider on a long line. Still used with 2 runners in competition soaring.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,359 Posts
Ace:

What Sean said!

You need about 20 feet of surgical tubing, and 100 feet of twine (engineering or surveying twine works good, from the DIY store, and you can get it in orange). A key ring at each end and a streamer just below the ring at the string end (keeps it from tangling on the way down). Anyway, the usual proportion is 1/5 tubing or rubber, 4/5 twine.

Several of us shared a hi-start in Las Vegas, and we measured the tension one day with a spring scale. Maximum tension was about 10 pounds. That hi-start was the Real Deal: about 600 feet total, and the tubing was probably 3/8 inch. We could launch ANYTHING, and typical launch height was 500-600 feet, depending on wind.

For your airplanes, you don't need heavy tubing, maybe 3/16 diameter. Use a BIG tent peg or nail at the ground end.

On your airplane, mount a tow hook about a 1/4 inch ahead of the CG. A simple L-shape is fine. Use a bolt with a nut inside, and a piece of plywood to spread the load.

Ring in the hook, pull it back and let go. The airplane will do the rest. Try to release the airplane LEVEL. It will rotate up and go up on the circumference of the circle with the twine as the radius,all by itself. If you do need to steer it, the rudder will do that fine.

At the top, nose down and let the airplane simply fly off the hook.

You should get every inch of line and tubing in vertical launch. As you get experienced, you will figure out how to "zoom" off the launch for additional height.

I was using my hi-start today. Wonderful, stress-free, cheap, only one moving part.

Build strong. The hook will have to hold the full line tension, whatever it is.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Last edited by glidermang; Feb 16, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Cool! thanks! yeah i really like the looks of some of those gliders great stuff! ill have to see about getting surgical tube stuff then. 600feet! man!! that is awesome!!! lol definitely can find thermals there!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:40 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Upstart - $29 - 100-200 foot launches
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE637&P=ML

hi-start- $60 300-500 foot launch
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE635&P=7

e-bay latex tubing -50 feet -make sure it is one continous piece.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Natural-Rubber-L...3A1%7C294%3A50

Learning to use a hi-start
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=216
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155353
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 17, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:30 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Im workin on getting surgical tube, i dont mind DLG Gliders in fact they are my favorite type of glider, but i cant fiberglass right now.. so im just going to build some look alike gliders...

thanks for the tips/info/help guys
i appreciate it