HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hell, Norway
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Alpina Magic

I just bought an old Multiplex kit of the Alpina Magic. 380 cm vingspan with extension to 440 cm. But the building instructions are missing. Can anyone help me?

Hans
Hellrider is offline Find More Posts by Hellrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
As the Alpina is not a scale model, more people are likely to respond to this request in the "Slope" or general Sailplanes sections..
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:30 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,600 Posts
Hans,

PM me your Email address and I'll send you a .pdf copy of the Alpina Pro instructions...I'm sure they're close enough to get you going. Generally speaking, most Multiplex/Tangent kits, semi scale or otherwise, are quite similar in construction.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hell, Norway
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Bob,

Thank you for your reply and helping me with the instructions.

Hans
Old Feb 16, 2009, 03:09 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Download the Multiplex ASW-22 manual from the Multiplex web site, it is the same as the Alpina Magic but with a pseudo-scale fuselage.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:45 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Hi, Alpina Magic owner.

I will dig around and try and find my original instructions, which could prove difficult, but I promise to try.

Actually, the only real "instruction" you need, is as follows:

"Totally ignore the in-the-fuselage servo installation for ailerons and air-brakes. It was a real p.i.t.a. idea from the time when decent servos were too big for the nice thin wings. Put the servos in the wings and save yourself a lot of headaches."

In spite of the scale fraternity's disdain, the Alpina Magic is a beautful sailplane, on the ground and in the sky. It flies very, very well, in practically all conditions except below stalling speed , which, if you do not use flaperons, is a little higher than you might think!

Best of luck,

Christopher
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
Charlie
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2004
419 Posts
I had an Alpina, an old one, not sure exactly what it was but it was a very sweet plane. I strongly second the idea of putting servos in the wing. I originally had the airbrake servo in the fuse and blew it up on the first landing as I had the blade type wing joiner and the wing had a tendency to swing forward. After I put servos in each wing I never had any more problems.

I think it is the model that I regret having sold the most....
daedaluscan is offline Find More Posts by daedaluscan
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
I have a PDF of the Alpina Magic building manual. PM me your address.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:57 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
I have an Alpina fuselage and tail feahters,.
It's rebuildable, been wanting to cut a new set of wings, go with a slighlty wider chord and newer airfoil, maybe add flaps.
It was nice flying airplane, but fast.

Neil, I read your bio and really like that picture of you in those rolling hills in the country. I'd love to come and see England some day!
My ancestors come from England, France, and Scotland.

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:05 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
Neil, I read your bio and really like that picture of you in those rolling hills in the country. I'd love to come and see England some day!
My ancestors come from England, France, and Scotland.
Ed
Hi Ed, we are blessed with some wonderful countryside with beautiful villages and gently rolling hills in Warwickshire and Oxfordshire. Thanks for mentioning it, it is too easy to take the scenery for granted.

PM me if you come to England, maybe we could meet up.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:43 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
I have an Alpina fuselage and tail feahters,.
It's rebuildable, been wanting to cut a new set of wings, go with a slighlty wider chord and newer airfoil, maybe add flaps.
Ed
Don't do that, that would be non-scale

Seriusly, though, I can't think of any aerodinamic mods necessary. My recollection is that at anything above stalling speed it was totally predictable and could just as easily be a total pussy cat or a roaring leopard!

As I can't be bothered to tear out the airbrakes, I am going to rebuild mine with flaperon control and see how that works out on my limited landing zones.

If I do ever build totally new wings, I think I would build in (as original) air-brakes, plus flaps, to give me the "butterfly" option where needed. I would not mess with the chord, nor the airfoil. As commented elsewere, I would definitely never repeat the servo in the fuselage arrangements that came as o.e. They were complicated to install and set up. They were a pain to assemble for flying; as commented by someone, the wing forward thrust on landing did not help the airbrakes much, except to accelerate their demise.

Two (or three) servos per wing and forget the rest....

Let us know how it goes, perhaps on the "other" thread, as we will have the scale "purists" righly indignant...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:14 AM
Vini, Vidi, Scalies
Ireland, Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown
Joined Oct 2003
682 Posts
I'm a lucky owner of an original Alpina too
One of the best all weather glider I ever have !

Only mods I have are of course the servos on the wings, and added the airbrakes (the original kit had the airbrakes holes made on the wings, then filled with balsa... I think that was an option at the time).
Flaps can be a good mod if you don't have a lot of space to land, as even with the airbrakes, really hard to get down !

The blades wing joiner can be problematic for hard landings, but you can always add a "anti crunch" bar in the fuselage at the LE. So far, broke nothing !

Here is mine, last week end...

LoopingFred is offline Find More Posts by LoopingFred
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:53 AM
Norway
Joined May 2003
374 Posts
Alpina Magic instruction on multiplex-rc.de:
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc..._magic_3sp.pdf
Wiker is offline Find More Posts by Wiker
Old Mar 01, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hell, Norway
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Thank you for the help guys. I got the instructions from "bobthenuke" and have started building the model. I am planning on putting the servos in the wing and adding flaps.

Hans
Old Mar 02, 2009, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
So as not to unecessariliy agravate the scale purists, I have re-started the Alpina Magic re-build thread over on "Sailplane talk".

Please let us know what you plan and which version you have and the problems and solutions you find on the way.

Cheers,

Christopher