HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Build Log
Eddie the Eagle Glider Build

I have had these plans for a few years. after finding a link to someone that built a 173 inch eagle glider http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927248
I remembered I had the plans and desided it would make a good winter project. I fly at a local hill named Mt.Baldy so why not fly a bald eagle there.New here so if i don't get these posts right , excuse me
Weinig is offline Find More Posts by Weinig
Last edited by Weinig; Feb 14, 2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: learning how to post
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:56 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Cutting the Foam

I built a CNC foam cutter last year and wanted to use it on this project.After scanning the airfoils and making the cut files for the CNC. I found out that because of all the angles and sweep differences, and after wasating several pieces of foam,it was beyond what I could do with the CNC. I could cut out the first section, with the correct sweep and angle, but when i cut the second section it wouldn't fit correctly with the first section. One airfoil would be largger then the next. So i gave up on the CNC and made templates to cut out the wing sections.There are 4 sections to each wing. After making the templates, it took me only a couple hours to cut out all 8 sections.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:04 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
spar time

After cutting the foam sections, I made the spars for the wings. The plan calls for 1/4" hard balsa. I made mine out of Spruce. Then i cut the wing sections in half at the spar line. I started with the rear sections glueing the section to the spar and to the next section as I went along. then after those were dry i did the front sections.I used gorilla glue for this. was a bit of a trick getting everything to line up and it took alittle fine tuning with sanding the mating surfaces on a couple. Guess I still didn't cut them excatly right.
Last edited by Weinig; Feb 14, 2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: forgot pics
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Ohhh... Where did you get the plans from? that looks like serious fun!
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Plans

I bought the plans about 10 years ago, I think I got them from RCM. The only place i found still selling them is http://www.myhobbystore.com/1217/Col...the-Eagle.html
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:26 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
That's the RCM&E site Nick. There is loads of info on Eddie if you search this forum.
Colin Wavell and Don Brown both made one from Jacks original plan.

Where is jack these days? Hope he's still around. Just found a picture of him for my next slope column with a little Extra 300 pitcheron.....
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:28 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
tip feathers

Next was making the feathers for the tips of the wings.They are made from two layers of 1/64 plywood cut to shape then epoxied together and wraped around pans, pots, cans, Whatever i could find to match the shape and curve on the plans. let them dry and they keep the shape pretty good.They get glued on to the last section on each wing so you have to make a right and a left side with the curve opposite for each.wax paper and rubber bands to hold them on cans
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,379 Posts
That is cool. I've got one of the EPP eagles that is electric powered. It is not as big, and it's kind of boxy. I've never tried to slope mine, I don't think it would work too well anyways. Looking forward to more pics of your build.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:41 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
putting Wings together

While waiting for the tip feathers to set, I jump on the feet and cut sanded and put them together from 1/4" balsa. Then with the wings together I cut out the feather shapes on the trailing edges and glued the tip feathers on. The White on the wings is lightweight spackle to fill in some problem areas.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:46 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
tip feathers

I know this is going Fast, all these post in one day. Just trying to get it up to date with where I am at on the project.,,,, Here is a closer look at the tip feathers, they are all in the same plan when you look from the front so they are supposed to act like tip fins to help with Yaw. Starting to look like a bird wing.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Body

OK I have wings, Now I need something to attach them to.The Body is just a Box with the wing joiner and radio equipment and some foam glue to it, and shaped and a balsa beak. Now I was lucky enough to read Colins thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Colin+Wavell) before I got to this so I knew from his post that there are some problems here. After adjusting the formers, I put it together.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Beak

This is where you get to be alittle artistic.You can make him cute or mean.I started by glueing balsa blocks to the balsa outline of the head from the plans. Drew a face and started carving the beak.I looked at a lot of pics of eagles online so I could get an idea of the shape of the beak from all angles, and came up with this for a 1st draft. by the time I was done a had a pile of shavings, and something that resmebles a eagle beak.
Last edited by Weinig; Feb 14, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Fish Head!
Taunton, Somerset (UK)
Joined Nov 2003
1,201 Posts
Nice to know there are still Eddies out there
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202353
I've had it a few years but don't seem to get to fly it. Too busy flying my fish
colin
colin wavell is offline Find More Posts by colin wavell
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Head

After carving out the beak I glued on some foam blocks and carved out a head.I think it looks pretty good, should give the local birds something to ponder.The eyes are just plastic, from the local hobby lobby craft store for stuffed animals. Looks alittle weird with no body attached.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 09:05 AM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Hello Colin, sorry to hear you don't fly your eagle much, after all the work to get him done. I did want to thank you for your build thread, Helped me out alot while I was building mine. I did review it quite often to see if I was on the right track. Hope mine ends up looking as good as yours.