Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Discussion
Art-Tech Spitfire ad at Hobby Lobby

Another RTF, why do they do that? I would order one if it was a Plug and Play version. I already have all the transmitters that I need.
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:35 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,269 Posts
http://www.hobbylobbyrc.net/spitfire_18647_prd1.htm
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by papabatman; Mar 07, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:41 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152
Another RTF, why do they do that? I would order one if it was a Plug and Play version. I already have all the transmitters that I need.
Okay, I had a weak moment and ordered the RTF Hobby-Lobby Art-Tech Spitfire.

Will give everyone my review of her as soon as possible.
Larry
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
congrats on your purchase! i love art tech planes, flying four of them right now. been looking at the spit since i found it on the art tech website a while ago. hopefully a pnp version will show up somewhere! please do post some pics and a flight report when you can. enjoy your new plane! rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Feb 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737
congrats on your purchase! i love art tech planes, flying four of them right now. been looking at the spit since i found it on the art tech website a while ago. hopefully a pnp version will show up somewhere! please do post some pics and a flight report when you can. enjoy your new plane! rob
rob,

I just placed one on back order and don't know when it will be delivered but will post my opinions as soon as I get through the first flight.

My Art-Tech P-51 and Corsair have been a delight to fly so don't expect this one to be any different.

Larry
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
larry, i am sure the spit will fly and look great...as all of the planes made by that company seem to do. i just ordered their hybrid "coota," (airframe only), which i am excited to fly. hope your spit shows up soon! rob
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:03 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
larry, i am sure the spit will fly and look great...as all of the planes made by that company seem to do. i just ordered their hybrid "coota," (airframe only), which i am excited to fly. hope your spit shows up soon! rob
rob,
Let me know how well the Coota flies. It is a cute looking airplane.
Larry
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:18 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
will do, larry. it arrived at my house, but i am out of town until tomorrow. i should be able to get it built for a possible maiden this weekend. this will occur at my local park, with the gear, however. i need to wait for the water to warm up before i attempt any water flying....i have learned the hard way about having to wade in to retrieve planes!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:04 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
larry......i got the coota all put together, it's a neat little plane! forcast to be very windy here for the next few days, so i won't be able to fly it unfortunately. hope your spit ships soon, really looking forward to your review and some pics. rob
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:49 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Quote:
larry......i got the coota all put together, it's a neat little plane! forcast to be very windy here for the next few days, so i won't be able to fly it unfortunately. hope your spit ships soon, really looking forward to your review and some pics. rob
Thankfully better weather is coming and we will be able to get a lot of flying in then.
Larry
Old Mar 01, 2009, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
the spits are showing in stock now at hl....did yours ship? rob
Old Mar 03, 2009, 12:13 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Received mine yesterday

Quote:
the spits are showing in stock now at hl....did yours ship? rob
Yes Rob I received mine yesterday and opened the box last night.
My overall impression so far is that it is my least favorite that I have of the Art-Tech line which include a Mustang and Corsair.
Things I like-overall look is good, finish okay, quality control fair and the included pilot.

Things I didn't like-When I removed mine from the box the fuselage had been resting on a servo wire and had made an impression in the side of the fuselage and where the wire was touching removed the paint so the white foam shows. The prop was way out of balance, magnets holding the battery cover on were just taped. Had to epoxy the magnets so they would stay. The included receiver was secured in the center of the fuselage in the area where the wing mounts and positioned such as to prevent the wing from seating on the fuselage by about 1/8 inch. What were they thinking? It was so obvious. I won't use that receiver anyway but what about the fellows that don't know about building their own, will they know that they will have to pull the receiver and reposition it to a different location in the fuselage?

This will probably be my last Art-Tech airplane because I favor the little larger 40"+ span and tougher foam that ParkZone is now making.

Hope to do some flying later this week and I will post my flying experiences with her later.

Larry
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:22 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,804 Posts
Flew the Spit today and ended up quite unhappy with the results. It has some some strange characteristics that are hard to explain. However, the wind was blowing at about 5-7 miles so that could be part of the problem but the real frustration came for me when landing. I greased her in and when the wheels touched the grass one of the mains broke out of the plastic landing gear retainer.

Hopefully I will be able to do a better flight test when we have a day when wind is not a factor.

Stay tuned.
Old Mar 07, 2009, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
wow, larry...sorry you are a bit disapointed with your new art tech. that has not been the norm as far as my experience with these planes. looking forward to another flight report. i read somewhere else (can't remember where, though!) that the plane is a bit touchy. good luck.....rob
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
Larry, i saw your post about your spitfire flight. i've got the same bird and my experience has been much the same. Touchy flying, very stall prone, it also sort of pitches up and down as it's flying straight as if the balance is off but I've tried to balance it three times. Also the gear snapped right out of the retainers when I landed the first time. I repaired with 5 minute epoxy, but I have'nt had a chance to fly again yet. I'm serving in Afghanistan with the army so time to fly and good weather don't always happen that often. Anyway, a freind and I are starting a flying club on our foward operating base. He has a Parkzone T-28 Trojan that has been an excellent plane so far and I have the Spit and a wing dragon. I was just looking for something fun to chase his T-28 around with, but I've found the spit to be more trouble than it is worth. I've owned about 6 planes over about a year and a half of flying so far and this is by far my least favorite. Would you let me know if you stumble on a way to tame the beast? I'd like to get more than scary, might crash,might not flying out of her before I move on. John
johnrankin is offline Find More Posts by johnrankin