HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:02 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Discussion
Differences in 2.4GHz equipment

Are there any differences between regular 2.4GHz video transmitters and receivers from, let's say for example, RangeVideo (RV), Future Hobbies (FH), Black Widow AV (BWAV), and New Generation Hobbies (NGH)?

I have the following receivers:

One GP-707 from RV/NGH
One 24Mini-Rx from BWAV
One generic (QV8TD2400) from FH
and couple ALM-2452 being sold by RCToys.com (Draganflyer vendor in Canada)

And the following transmitters:

10mW from RV/NGH
10mW (w/ camera integrated) from RCToys.com
200mW from BWAV
500mW from FH

Couple nights ago I obviously had a little too much time on my hands, and started playing with one camera/tx combo (ALM-2451G) and since I already had the stuff out of the box, I figured why not see if the transmitted video can be received with different receivers. So for a couple of evening, I have tested various 2.4GHz systems, including the stuff that comes with the Spycar, and found that you can pretty much use any transmitter with any receiver, providing they are on the same channel (frequency).

So far my limited testing indicates that there is no difference, the Spy Video Car video signal can be received with the GP-707 receiver, or FH 500mW transmitter signal can be received with the BWAV receiver. I am curious if someone knows of any real differences between the various systems.

If there are no differences, then I see a whole new world of opportunities to downsize the equipment that's being used for FPV or AP. For one, wouldn't it be nice to have an integrated receiver, display and recorder in one, such as the Fongyao PVRW-24C? Not to mention eBay is littered with 2.4GHz "baby monitors" that could most likely be easily modified.

Just some food for thought.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
to remove ads between posts