HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:15 AM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Creata 400

Just clicked a little around and ups... one is coming my way.

I can't really find much info about it out there or any discussions, so I am starting to wonder if anyone actually fly them? Maybe it just looks pretty in a corner. Hope it is not like the first 4G3 V1 that came out a little too fast IMO.

Funny thing is that the 2801 TX/RX combo sells for 10 bucks less than the 2601 TX with the 2701 RX. Strange!!

Please let me know if this thing actually flies or if I am getting a very expensive 2801 RX that I looking for in the first place

/Hans.
HansV is offline Find More Posts by HansV
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2008
479 Posts
I just picked mine up from the post office yesterday, I was gonna sell it with the wk 2601 that I got with my 4g3, but the more I look at it the more I like it!

I can fly my 4#3bs quite well now, I've got the parts order down to about 1 a month, I can fly the 4g3 too, but I've had no end of trouble like many others here, controlling the tail mine way over powered, even with the brushless motor. That why I thought I would get the wk2801 so I could program more control from the transmitter.

Anyway, I spooled the creata up last night in the living room, Boy! what a noise, I'm used to micros, and this thing is a LOT bigger and noisier, the head looks a bit complicated for me at the moment, so I won't be doing much flying, until I can assure myself I won't crash first flight!

I been looking for info on this model too, but the videos i've seen are all just basic stuff, I'm curious whether this will do 3d well. Over all this heli seems to be remarkably well engineered, althought that doesn't necessarily mean that it will fly well. I'm gonna get a bit more practice on the 4g3 and the sim before I take mine out though. If anyone else has got one PLEASE post some video of what it's capable of, so us new owners have something to aspire to

Ta Greg
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
Thanks for your reply. For a moment I thought that I was the only one interested in this heli. It seems that most vids I have seen are from people trying to hover it. Maybe it is just too new and a little on the expensive side to really have the same level of deployment as the 4G3.

I have 4 4G3s, but havn't had any problems with them except for a bent flybar and not being able to disassemble the feathering shaft due to glue on the tiny screws. The 4G3 and 4#3Bs will just fly, fly, fly. I am not expecting quite the same with the Creata since it is a much larger heli. And yes, the larger they are, the more noise they make!

Took my Exceed G2 out for the first spin in around 6 months. Very noisy and flies like a bus compared to the micros :-) Cant wait to I get my Creata in the mail!

/Hans.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:56 AM
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
Walkera Creata

A buddy and I just got two of these helis. The first thing that cought my eye was the transmitter that comes with the 'limited 2009' edition. When we got the helis it took me a while to believe the transmitter. It's exactly the same body/interface as the DX-7.. except better. This is an 8CH with lit LCD and the same features as DX-7. In other words the transmitter alone is worth the $350.00 I wouldn't get the "metal" version of it for any reason, bc it's only $30.00 less and you get a crappy 6CH 2.4Ghz radio with it. For me it was a breakthrough because I didn't have a Spektrum radio yet. Didn't want to buy a crappy one either so I decided to wait and now I got a great radio with a great heli. Talk about the heli: I'm fairly new to helis, but I took it to the field, and a guy that knows his 3Ds was able to fly it right off the bat, felt really comfortable with it, and started doing some basic 3D without a glitch. These guys couldn't believe the transmitter that comes with it either. I fly it myself really careful and it feels very stable. Just getting used to it bc all I've flown is my CX2 as far as helis so far. If you don't have a 2.4Ghz radio or have a crappy one, and are looking into buying a RTF 3D, I'd say get this heli right now.
PerriMan is offline Find More Posts by PerriMan
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
Hi Guys, is it a 400 class heli and can it use Trex 450 main motor blades? as the official one is very expensive...around $35 per pair...

and about WK-2801, is there any setting that is good for 4G3 as I am planning to buy a transmitter combo for my 4G3 and my future heli. Do you know how to set the rudder related setting to make 4G3 tail hold?

Thanks in advance.
super132 is offline Find More Posts by super132
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2008
479 Posts
Yeah, I've just been playing with the wk2801, got both my 4#3b's up and running, and the 5g6-1 too, Swapped settings from the creata over to another model, and set the dips, and swash to x3, I was able to take off, but the tail didn't hold :-(, perhaps I should read the instructions eh?
Old Mar 08, 2009, 09:03 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
Finally I got my Creata 400 from eHirobo. Took over 2 weeks to arrive and the weather has been really nice but way too windy.

Took it out of a test flight today and had to adjust the gyro sense from 70% to 80%. But then: WOW!!! It flies way better than it looks (and I think it is pretty). I have never flown a more stable and yet responsive heli before and it exceeded my wildest expectations for a Walkera heli.

I have flown the #52, 4G3 and 4#3B quite a lot but never made good friends with my G2 Raptor. But the Creata was so nice flying that I was immediately comfertable with it and started to do circuits and really nice 8's. Forwards, backwards all seems to be so easy and smooth. It hovers on a spot hands off and there is practically no trimming necessary. Only minus is that the batt is very hard to mount to give the right CG. The ESC is mounted so that the wires are too short so that the batt has to be mounted with the wires inside the holder where there is no space for them.

I think that the combo with the 2801 TX is probably the biggest bang for the buck out there.

/Hans.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 02:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
479 Posts
Yeah, I found the same about the esc wires, I got some 2200mah batteries and the leads were way too short, so i've made an extension lead! The stock battery should fit fine though. You're right about it being very stable, I've only been hovering about in the back garden at the moment, but i've found it SO much more stable than my 4g3 and no set up up worries either. Just need a bit more room...
Old Mar 09, 2009, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
Hi, May I know if your Creata 400 comes with rx-2801? What's the size of this receiver? Could it be fitted into a 200 class heli? Thanks.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 03:37 AM
Joined Jun 2008
479 Posts
i got mine from ehirobo, it came with the wk-2801 and the rx-2801, and yes, i reckon it would fit a 200 class
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
That's great . Waiting for rx-2801 sale and saving money for my 200 class heli. Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
I turned the ESC 180 degrees so that the wires fit and now I can use the bigger LiPOs.

I am still one big smile everytime I fly it. I can't believe how well it flies compared to the 4G3 and the #52. Of course it is a lot bigger, but it is so calm and fun to fly. Not slow or borring like a #4, but really precise and nice. Had it outside today and did a big series 8's and started to do a little "funneling". Amazing... Due to the weather it is my second flight with it. I havn't found any bad things except the location of the ESC. It seems like Walkera really did it this time. And for a price not much bigger then the 4G3 combo.

/Hans.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 04:37 AM
Joined Jun 2008
479 Posts
i had mine flying yesterday, and the tail appeared to drift left! Tried trimming it, didn't work, tried adjusting the gyrosens up and down, no difference. I tried tie wrapping the gyro tight to the tail boom, no good... By this time I was getting really annoyed, and cursing walkera electronics. Then by accident I found another menu in the gyrosens one which had an auto setting. I selected that, and all was back to normal! Somehow I managed to crack my canopy though, any ideas where I can download one? I've got a few acetate sheets for printing designs on.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:30 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
Hey fishfiend. Gyros sometimes behave a little strange. I tightened the strap a little and set the sense to 80% and my tail holds fine. Not sure about the auto. Sorry to hear about your canopy. I have heard about someone who did a nice canopy for the 4#3B. He cut it open and scanned it. I have not seen anything like that for the Creata and there is not a whole lot of info out there for it.

/Hans.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:42 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
I had a colleague/friend and his family over today and they saw the new Creata and asked if it could fly as well as it looked. The weather was really nice and the batt charged so took it out for a spin. They were really amazed seing it take off straight up and just hanging in the air on a spot. I even did a couple of pretty OK tail in funnels and they were very impressed with it. It was my 3rd flight on it. I am hoping for some good and calm weather here in the Dallas area the next couple of weeks

/Hans.