Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Hey Steve.... Your build looks fantastic. I'd encourage you to put the gear on having had a bad experience hand launching mine without it. Forgot that there was a nasty little prop back there chewing away. No serious injury, thanks to my "fools luck".

My KFm2 wing has a 8" chord and flies great with the balance point @ 3.5" aft of the leading edge. The AUW is just under 22oz with a 1000 mah 3s lipo. My 2408-21 puts out about 20 oz thrust with a 8040 prop and 3s. Flights aren't as long as I'd like , but there is plenty of power and the motor gets plenty of cooling. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Feb 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Hey Steve.... Your build looks fantastic. I'd encourage you to put the gear on having had a bad experience hand launching mine without it. Forgot that there was a nasty little prop back there chewing away. No serious injury, thanks to my "fools luck".

My KFm2 wing has a 8" chord and flies great with the balance point @ 3.5" aft of the leading edge. The AUW is just under 22oz with a 1000 mah 3s lipo. My 2408-21 puts out about 20 oz thrust with a 8040 prop and 3s. Flights aren't as long as I'd like , but there is plenty of power and the motor gets plenty of cooling. Bob
Thanks for the comment, Mike.
You and I seem to be on a lot of the same threads. As they say: "Great minds think alike."

Hey Bob,
You are supposed to lauch "motor off" then give throttle.
I'd probably do the same thing at some point. Gear with big foam wheels works pretty good here on the sand and beach trash. Before I was really concerned with keeping it light on all my builds but higher wing loading works fine and adds penetration too. I'm getting to where I can handle the higher speeds better, now I've got some flight time under my belt.

It's 6:18am here and I've just finished coffee #2. Winds are calm and tide is out. Looks like it's flying time. I'll work on Tuffy a bit later.

Take care guys,
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Steve says:

"Hey Bob,
You are supposed to lauch "motor off" then give throttle." This brings back something my father used to tell me: "When the mind is weak.... the whole body suffers"
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:59 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
so the fuz stick is just 1/2 inch balsa ?
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:27 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucej
so the fuz stick is just 1/2 inch balsa ?
That's it, a 1/2 " square piece as straight as possible. You can use anything of equal strength. Bob
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:29 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
UP-date on build

Back again,

Had problems this morning with the QT. It's flying OK but this coco tree had to get in the way. Anyway it's ready again so..........

See Pix: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...931080&page=12
I did get a bit done on the Tuffy and should be able to finish off tomorrow. It'll be around 22 oz with camera without wheels. I may need to extend the nose to balance it or mod the wing to move it back. The wheels will bring the CG forward a bit, anyway I'll figure it out. I'll spend the afternoon tomorrow on it but I think I'll have to take Edna and Angel to Tubigon for lunch. Gotta keep the girls happy.

A few pix of today's progress below.

Hey, Bob. What's the recommended motor offset? If any.

"When the mind is weak.... the whole body suffers"
I like that. Kind of a "holistic" approach to stupidity. One of the comedians who was on TV with Jeff Foxworthy had a good one liner: "You can't fix 'stupid'". Here in PI it really applies.

Steve.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:11 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Just days before you started this thread I started working (dabbling more like) on a pusher mod of the BBAP1 fuse so I could try it for FPV. At the time I was thinking of something like the Hobby Lobby Challenger II. I guess I coulda just scaled up a Tuffy! Anyway, here's what mine looks like so far.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:16 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Kendall... I like the way your wing pod turned out as wheel as the streamline boom and tail section. It looks great, keep going. Bob
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:18 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
guys would it be possible to see a picture of the bottom of the fuz that shows how you are clueing the stick on ?
thanks
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:35 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
guys would it be possible to see a picture of the bottom of the fuz that shows how you are clueing the stick on ?
thanks
Hope these help. The main thing is to keep a good straight alignment.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
thanks
Pic #1 is why the Tuffy build is on temporary hold. This is one for the "What the hell was I thinking" file. Or: You can't fly ailerons with a RET minset.

RE: the stick.
Just glue it on straight and make sure the horizontal stabilizer is parallel to your wing. Foamentator said it best.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:29 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Cybernaught

OUCH!!!!!

Looks like a fiberglass arrow shaft is needed for the boom.
Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:59 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
Cybernaught

OUCH!!!!!

Looks like a fiberglass arrow shaft is needed for the boom.
Mike
Here I don't have that fancy foriegn stuff. I might have found a thin bamboo piece that would have worked better but my stick is around2 ounces.

Here's a laugh for you. It shows how Lil' Buster got broken in half.
RC: Lil' Buster and the brain fart. (0 min 21 sec)

TKR and happy landings.
Steve.

EDIT: 3/1/09 @ 13:09
She needs bigger wheels to get the front end up a bit and give more positive angle of attack for takeoff. Also will tape coin to nose for better balance while testing. CG curently at 38% because KFm2 can take a more rearward CG. Up to 40% Weight is 20.1 oz without paint or camera for a wing loading of about 6.4 oz/sqft effective area. 15 grams added to the nose and the wing modded to a more rearward position. See Pics.

Hope to do the wheels this afternoon and maiden tomorrow if all goes according to plan. Big wheels work better on my beach/landing strip.

15:02.
Wheels done and on the plane.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Mar 01, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:13 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
Here I don't have that fancy foriegn stuff. I might have found a thin bamboo piece that would have worked better but my stick is around2 ounces.

Here's a laugh for you. It shows how Lil' Buster got broken in half.
http://www.vimeo.com/3414761

TKR and happy landings.
Steve.
Steve..... I feel your pain. It's a good thing building is so much fun Here is a pic from one of my outings a few weeks ago. Both have been repaired and are flying again.