Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:41 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Build Log
**The Tuffy** Pusher type Primary Trainer by Tony65x55

Here is some basic info on the **Tuffy** Tony's concept of a Pusher trainer that is pratically indestructible. Video clips over a long flying session without prop damage or repairs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998138

I'll get some more pictures and other details to you this week. In the meantime take a look at the drawing and I'll try to answer any of your questions.

I've built a second prototype with a laminated a EPP fuse nose-piece which I think will be even tougher than the first one. I have no other drawings available at this time.

Power is a TP 2408-21 which is a BP-21 clone with a 1060 prop and 1100 mah 2s lipo.

Edit: 03/04/09Tony is back and has provided us with the remainder of the drawings to complete the set. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Mar 04, 2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Add PDF Files for Parts and 3D Monobloc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Outstanding!
Someone wanted the plans tiled.
When you get time or maybe someone else can do it.

Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:39 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,380 Posts
Okay,

I'll watch this one too!

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Well not quite there at the moment but I'm sure it will be ok on the night.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
987 Posts
OOoooo. I think I see another AP candidate! I'll be watching this thread...
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TheCrashCast.com - Episode 272
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This one looks very nice, easy to build. I like it.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
Outstanding!
Someone wanted the plans tiled.
When you get time or maybe someone else can do it.

Mike
Done.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey Fomenator, that's one tuff guy! took the abuse well.

You might want to cock the motor thrust to the left looking down from the top. I built several blue beagles, and they needed the different angle from a front mounted motor.

paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
Done.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves
Thanks Bill.

Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
WD clone?

Tuffy looks a lot like a Wing Dragon but the WD is longer.

I'm going to try the tuffy. My Wd is 42"WS and 26 oz. AUW, a little big and heavy for some of my favorite smaller parks.

15 ounces sounds a lot better!

Paul
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Last edited by paulo810; Feb 13, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:08 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Hey, Bob, nice work! I need a plane that crashes well. Looks like the tiled version is 54 pages! Is that correct? I may have to tap into the Stimulus Bill for cardstock.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Hey, Bob, nice work! I need a plane that crashes well. Looks like the tiled version is 54 pages! Is that correct? I may have to tap into the Stimulus Bill for cardstock.
With a little judicious cropping (a ScaleAndTile3, _v3k feature), I could reduce the number of tiles. Will do so when I have time.

Best regards,
Bill
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt

Pat... I just printed out the pages I needed. For instance the fuse is pages 13-15 (I think). I just measure out the other pieces on the foam rather than cut patterns the trace or past them. Then if I'm not clear about something I just scroll along till I find what I'm looking for and print it. Hope this helps, Bob
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:25 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
**Tuffy** Udate.

Here is some info on **Tuffy** number III. The second build used the same wing and tailfeathers as the first. The only replacement was the fuselage. I was still able to break the fuse in front of the motor mount so it was cutting down on our durability goal. I was able to get five good prangs on it with on site repairs with hot glue gun.

The third **Tuffy** pictured here has a new wing per the plans made from Elmer's Foamboard with the colored backing (in this case, red and green) left on. The fuselage is new with slight changes in the bamboo rod positioning to gain some strength. The tail feathers and boom (1/2/" square balsa) from the original and have been through much abuse.

AUW with 1000 mah lip is 22 oz (324 gms.)

**Tuffy** three has eight flights, all excellent. Take offs are straight and power is just right for an primary trainer. Stalls are imaginary, very gentle and straight. Control is very smooth using rudder only in a basic trainer configuration. Add in ailerons and turns are precise with a touch of rudder (my habit). With a little wind and flaperons programmed in, short field landings are a blast.

The only thing left to do if desired by the builder is to add fuselage skins to cover the equipment. Personnally I have kinda grown to like the looks of everything hanging out there for the world to see. I have no video of this one so far as my camera has bombed on me.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:53 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Another Tuffy Started in PI.

Hi Folks,

Well I got a bit done this afternoon. I hope to get gear installed tomorrow and maybe have her ready to fly. Looks like servos go in the fuse and pushrods are run low under the prop arc from your pictures, Bob. My motor centerline is 5.5" above top of wood boom. I'll be using a 10 x 4.7 Slow-Fly prop or smaller.

I've attached some pics of what I have so far.

I'm shooting for around 6 to 7 oz/sqft with camera installed. We'll see how it goes. I'll update and post more pictures as things progress. I will probably build a smaller 300+ sq" wing for sport with ailerons as well. The two wings I have available have about 450 sq" effective area. That's just over 3 sqft. However it turns out is the way I'll fly it. Probably go with LG to begin with to protect the pushrods and avoid hand launches but I could change my mind on that. We'll just have to see how she winds up. These things sort of have a development life of their own for me. I don't plan ahead much and they just turn out the way they turn out.

Anyway it's all grins and giggles!

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught