HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:16 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Build Log
Glenn Torrance 1/3 Fokker D.VI

Is anyone here at RCG interested in following a build for a 1/3 scale Fokker D.VI? I have done a few build threads on other sites in the past and they can be rewarding for others to follow, but also added work on the builders shoulders.

If you guys or gals would like to follow what will be a nicely detailed kit when complete. I will do my part to share what I feel is going to be a very rewarding project not only for myself, but for all interested in a classic WWI aircraft.

I have taken a building break for a couple of years, but feel it's time to hit it again. This will be a slow follow along and I will work on it when I am in the mood, so don't expect to see regular postings. The kit should be here in a couple of weeks as Glenn is working his magic. Let me know what you think between now and then.

Carey Hook
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Last edited by Captainhook1; Mar 20, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
You know that I'll be following along, Carey. It's good to see you getting back in the swing of things !!!

Keep us posted as you make progress. The GTM kit should have plenty to challenge you, and to keep us interested.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:40 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2003
44 Posts
I'll be watching with interest !!!!

Hank
hmayford is offline Find More Posts by hmayford
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
Lapeer
Joined Jun 2008
2 Posts
follow

I always enjoy the watching a great builder do his majic. Good to see you fired up. keep us posted
hawkerjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by hawkerjetpilot
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Great, glad to hear this will be worth my time (and yours).

I've been doing some pre-assembly investing on what I would like to do with this kit. Things may change as I move forward but the initial list for starters are:

Power - G-62 with a Mick Reeves gear reduction unit. I am hoping to swing a 28"-30" prop with this set up and it should provide plenty of power.

Glenn is working on a cockpit and in the event that falls through and is not available when I need it. I will use the Fokker kit provided by Arizona Model Crafters. This kit is beautiful to say the least and it drives me crazy every time I look at it. It should be a nice addition to this model.

Spandau guns from Arizona will be utilized as well. There doesn't appear to be too many options in 1/3 scale and this kit should also add a nice touch.

In addition, and this may shoot down the G-62 and reduction system. Arizona also has nice 9 cylinder LeRhone engine I have my eye on. What would this be without a nice very detailed dummy radial up front.

The pilot will be provided by A H Design.

When I receive the kit and my Windsock data file this may of coarse change. For now I at least have a general direction based on help from Arizona and Glenn. Stay tuned.....

Carey
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:37 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Carey: A word of caution. Thoroughly investigate Arizona Model Crafters before investing $$$ in their products. I've never ordered from them, or built any of their mini-kits, so I have no first hand knowledge, but I've read many reports that have influenced me to never do so.

Balsa USA may have your machine guns, if you can't get them from GTM. Inzpan may have the few instruments that you'll require.

You'll be on your own for the rest.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:24 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I've found AZM's prices very high, in comparison to balsa USA and Williams Bros. I have also read horror stories about doing business with them: please read RCU's RC Scale Aircraft: [Arizona Models (again & final)] post dated 7-10-2008.

Personally, I have always been very happy with William Bros. products and just built a set of Vickers .303 guns for my 1/4th scale Balsa USA Nieuport 28. They turned out wonderfully, without paint, they are gun metal colored and ready to istall. I've also built a set of 1/6th scale Spandaus for a 1/6th scale Albatros DIII I built back in the 1980s and feel the same way about them. (I just determined that William's Bros. doesn't offer 1/3rd scale M.G.s. Balsa USA does and there products are very good, also).

I am envious as heck! I would love to build either a GTM or Proctor kit someday! I will watch, also.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Feb 14, 2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:32 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
Carey:

Before you do anything rash, you should really read these two threads. I ended up throwing away AZM's Spandau kits and did my own.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99734/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7714698

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:12 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. As always modelers are always looking out for each other and your help is greatly appreciated.

I am in the very early stages in planning this build and have plenty of time to investigate prior to assembly. I typically spend as many as 100 (frustrating) hours searching before I begin a project like this as I always try to do what's best.

After review of the threads at RCU I would say the writings on the wall for my original choice with AZ and a change in direction is required.

Les,

Your Spandau guns look great and I will entertain doing mine myself unless I find BUSA or Williams suitable for my tastes.

I would certainly like to find a good resin dummy engine and as for the cockpit details, I can always wait for Glenn to make it available. Right now time is on my side.

Carey
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I'm along for the ride. The DVI is one of those "stepchild" aircraft that doesn't seem to get much attention, IMO.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:30 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Ya, Carey, I fully understand the time it takes to do the research. Gleen McIntosh and I have a hundred ours into researchiing our next projects.

I gotta admit, I enjoy it.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
James,

Welcome aboard. I think we just about have a squadron formed for this build.

Tom,

I've spent plenty of hours today looking for as much info as I can. This bird is no doubt going to be tuff to find docs on, but will keep looking. Right now I would be happy just finding a paint scheme that is not like all the others.

As soon as I receive this jewel from Glenn, I will post some pics.

Carey
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:30 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Check out the plastic builders sites, Carey. That's how I found the scheme for my DVIII.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:10 AM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Tom,

I have looked at all the plastic models in my search. There appears to be about 5 schemes on the net. Maybe the datafile I will be getting will have additional choices, if not I have one already in mind. Glenn emailed me last night and told me that the kit should be in the mail Monday. Pics should be posted by the end of the week.

Carey
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
Carey: I don't know about Balsa USA, but Williams only goes up to 1/4 scale.

Thanks for the compliment on mine.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda