HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:04 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Discussion
Walt Mooney's DH-6 "Clutching Hand" for electric R/C

I hope Walt doesn't mind...he had so many wonderful designs and I could not resist this conversion. I also have the rubber powered version and it is a great slow flyer. MI Minor Plus receiver, Plantraco motor/gearbox, Toki muscle wire servo on rudder and a 50 ma battery. 17.4 grams....

Randy
v2plus10 is offline Find More Posts by v2plus10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,253 Posts
Beautiful job on both Randy. Are those your spoked wheels or purchased from Alan Cohen?
bill
scrubs is online now Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:48 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,541 Posts
Nice job!

I started one of these a moth or two ago and got sidetracked. I used the sliced rib wing too. Do you know of or have a picture or two that shows the color of the full-scale plane?
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:09 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Hi Bill,

The spoked wheels on the older rubber version are mine. The new version has wheels that were made by a very talented member of our flying group...

The only pictures I have found so far were through google...b & w and not very clear at all....

Randy
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:24 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,048 Posts
He would be tickled

Walt would be tickled, and he would love to see it fly. He was one of the GREAT ONES.
From an old free flight scale modeler.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:45 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
Beautiful model, GREAT job!!
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Parker CO
Joined Oct 2001
70 Posts
I built one of these just after it was published in Model Builder. It was a great flier. I knew Walt, he truly would love to see it fly.

Doug
spored is offline Find More Posts by spored
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
I'm pretty sure the first one I built was from the plans offered in Model Builder...but that would of had to have been in the late 80's or early 90's...they must have offered the plans more than once.

I have built several of Walt's designs. They have all been great flyers...I never met him but remember seeing his pictures in the modeling magazines...

Randy
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
MAD MEN QCRC
Joined Jun 2006
604 Posts
Gorgeous, Randy! Just my kinda plane Best, Bill
RCBilly is offline Find More Posts by RCBilly
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:10 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Very nice.

Walt and Bill Hannon used to joke in their articles in MB about "let's see somebody put R/C in this one!" - well, we've been doing it and I am sure he would be glad to see we could prove him wrong.

BTW - my avatar is an R/C Mooney peanut, too... I am thinking that today we are probably building as many of his designs as got built when the magazines were new...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:44 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Beautiful model, Randy. I have a 36" Peter Rake DH6 which is a great flyer but I'm becoming very interested in very small models these days.

I happen to have Walt Mooney's DH6 plan in my 'peanut' folder, so could you tell me what mods you've made to convert it to r/c, such as structure, wing angles, dihedral, etc?

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jan 2006
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
Beautiful model, Randy. I have a 36" Peter Rake DH6 which is a great flyer but I'm becoming very interested in very small models these days.

I happen to have Walt Mooney's DH6 plan in my 'peanut' folder, so could you tell me what mods you've made to convert it to r/c, such as structure, wing angles, dihedral, etc?

Steve
Hi Steve,

All I did was to add one stick each to the rudder/fin and stab/elevator assemblies to allow for hinging. I did select some of the more robust 1/16 square sticks for construction. The model is rudder only but the elevator is adjustable. The hatch for the battery is the only other mod. I used UHU Por for the hinge. I will use the CG as shown on the plans unless it needs a change. Incidence angles etc are as shown on the plans. I'll know how it works on Sunday!!

Randy
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:06 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Thanks Randy, look forward to the flight report. The old saying is 'if it looks like it'll fly then it will fly'...and yours certainly looks right!

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Is a video in the works for this one? I haven't really seen any good videos with scale micro bipes like this one.

Beautiful work! Very clean.

Oh, and did you build this one from a 3-view?

Thanks for sharing,
PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
Not much I could say that hasnt been said already, very nice indeed. Good luck with the maiden.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder