HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
6 weeks at the bottom of the ocean - toss it?

Well the Puget Sound but it's still saltwater. I managed to deposit my 5000mAh 2cell lipo on into 30' of cold saltwater about 6 weeks ago. A local diver fished it out a couple days ago and I'm wondering if I should even try to charge and use the thing or should it be thrown out?
t0adman is offline Find More Posts by t0adman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:29 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
In saltwater? It's most likely discharged fully by now. Check it y hooking it up to a volt meter. If it reads 0 volts, then toss the pack.

And Welcome to RC groups!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,092 Posts
Charge it for the fun of it and be very carefull doing so, BUT why risk it damaging you're rc. Just do it to see if it will but then drain it and toss it.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Feb 2009
6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. What risks do I run trying to charge it? Could it damage the charger (I have the Onyx 230)? Could it explode or catch on fire? How could it potentially damage my RC if I run it?
t0adman is offline Find More Posts by t0adman
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
The safest thing is to toss it right now. Nobody can stop you from attempting to charge it, but if you must, then put the battery out in the open on a large pad of concrete or similar non-combustible surface and run a long extension from the battery to your charger. Setup a camcorder at an even greater distance and use the zoom to record the process. If it explodes then post the video somewhere for everyone to see.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Feb 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
Nampa Idaho
Joined Jun 2006
394 Posts
A couple of really dumb questions because my curiosity is getting the best of me.

How in the world did it get to the bottom of the Sound in the first place? And;

How in the world did the diver find it? And;

Why in the world would anyone go diving in Puget Sound in the winter?

If I'm being too nosey just say so, I can take it.

Good luck if you try to charge it, keep your distance.
EZ Money is offline Find More Posts by EZ Money
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:10 PM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,031 Posts
Was the lipo accompanied by an airplane or was it used for a trout line weight?
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
North Texas
Joined Jan 2009
13 Posts
Hey, EZ and Zagi, I'm right there with you....enquiring minds want to know.
Saltwater is an excellent conductor, so the cell will be completely drained. Might be a fun science fair experiment to dry it, charge it up, and see what happens,though...all from a safe distance...with the fire extinguisher ready...and the video camera running.

SD
skintdigit is offline Find More Posts by skintdigit
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
Trying to charge a large lipo after being in those conditions is a lousy idea, imo.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:53 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Trying to charge a large lipo after being in those conditions is a lousy idea, imo.

mw
I agree, and Saltwater is how most would Agree to totally discharge one, its history, I sure hope you didn't Pay the driver to look for it, once its in the ocean is gone. Welcome to RC groups.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:26 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
First check voltage. Then report back what voltage says, while at answer the other questions about how and why it was at bottom of the sound. Then and only then we will continue to give advise.

I know blackmail but fair is fair

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:40 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,684 Posts
The tabs and wiring should be corroded off the cells and maybe even the wired corroded off the balance taps; at least too corroded to pass current again. Toss it and buy another one.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflier
First check voltage. Then report back what voltage says, while at answer the other questions about how and why it was at bottom of the sound. Then and only then we will continue to give advise.

I know blackmail but fair is fair

Highflier
I can already tell you what it will read 0.0000 or come up with error. depends on the meter. being surmerged in water is not good for any type of batterys, I would bet even A123 couldnt handle that. However I have left my ni cad drill outside over night in the rain and I found it and brung them in let them dry off before use, still worked I got lucky I think.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:06 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,143 Posts
I would suggest that the battery would actually read open circuit if it went into the water with any significent charge in it at all. The tabs would have corroded off long before the cells would have had the chance to be discharged.

So in my expierence you now have some charged cells with no tabs and they are a problem to deal with. I have 6 cells in the same condition that I do not feel are safe to dispose of in the normal manor. At some point I feel I will have to puncture then with a nail to short them out and have them burn out so are no longer dangerous. Much like the way a bomb squad might dispoase of a dangerous package
Owen Hedger is offline Find More Posts by Owen Hedger
Old Feb 13, 2009, 06:42 AM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenthegreat
I would suggest that the battery would actually read open circuit if it went into the water with any significent charge in it at all. The tabs would have corroded off long before the cells would have had the chance to be discharged.

So in my expierence you now have some charged cells with no tabs and they are a problem to deal with. I have 6 cells in the same condition that I do not feel are safe to dispose of in the normal manor. At some point I feel I will have to puncture then with a nail to short them out and have them burn out so are no longer dangerous. Much like the way a bomb squad might dispoase of a dangerous package

BB gun with some distance and you have some great target practice.
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon