SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2011, 05:44 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Guys, I hope somebody can post a PIC microcontroller base Servo PWM to PPM Converter.......I already have the PICKIT 2 with a few pcs of 16F88 or 16F877A.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
South Africa
Joined Dec 2007
207 Posts
When i get the wireless one i'll take it apart and have a look what it uses, was also hoping to find something PIC based but in the end gave up and investigated the AVR chip instead.
Bobbo is offline Find More Posts by Bobbo
Old May 13, 2011, 05:20 AM
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
How to hack the PPM signal from any receiver (Futaba) with Arduino

Hi

Has anyone see this?

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...BlogPost:38393

I followed the instruction and successfully found the PPM signal in my RX. Once the PPM pin is found, you just need to soldering 1 wire to bring it out.
Rendy is offline Find More Posts by Rendy
Old May 13, 2011, 05:27 AM
South Africa
Joined Dec 2007
207 Posts
Yip, on a 35Mhz / 72Mhz Rx its easy, I did the same off a JR77S Rx some time back, it works well, however you will not find a direct PPM stream on a Futaba 2.4Ghz Rx - at least not that i could find in the hours i sat with the scope hundting for it, only way to do it on a 2.4G is to combine all the individual channels, :-(
Old May 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
Since this thread keeps floating up, I've just tested my wireless buddy box code on my usb sim cable and it worked flawlessly. Coded everything with vmlab. It reads each channel of a ar6100 clone and stores them, then outputs them in the correct order for the buddy box input. I'm going to put it in the case and test it with my mcpx tonight. I'll try to get video.

I don't know if I want to release the code yet, I may want to try manufacturing these. I've got to see what the demand is. I knows we still do buddy box training at the club I'm with.
beer-man is offline Find More Posts by beer-man
Old May 13, 2011, 01:45 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
older futaba 2.4 have a PPM stream, its inverted mined. Don't have link handy...sorry.

Might be idea to ask rich how he feels about suing his code for a product.
SadSack is online now Find More Posts by SadSack
Old May 13, 2011, 02:01 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
It's not his code, It was a total rewrite. The tricky part is to read all six channels and output them in the same 20ms frame. If he wants I'll trust him with a copy, but that's why I'm not posting it. There has been other ideas stolen from these forums. The simstick was probably taken from this thread and look at the 4 channel air hogs heli...etc.

if you need an inverted out on the available code I can do that for you.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
http://www.mftech.de/usb-interface_en.htm
take a look at the last picture on the bottom of the page.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:48 AM
South Africa
Joined Dec 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer-man View Post
http://www.mftech.de/usb-interface_en.htm
take a look at the last picture on the bottom of the page.
Looks like an 18F of sorts, seems it is doable, :-)
Old May 31, 2011, 02:57 AM
South Africa
Joined Dec 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyone seen this yet, http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-g3-...r-dongle-65233 ?

I will dump the disk that comes with the dongle as i do not support piracy, however for $25 i seems crazy for me to build up an AVR programmer (Although i bought all the components to make it) and make up my own wireless sim dongle. I own a legit version of Reflex XTR and will only be using that, however for those with legit versions of Aerofly, etc this may be a good solution, :-).

Cheers
Rob
Mine finally arrived yesterday, after sitting in SA customs for nearly 2 weeks, shipping from HK was great though.

Unpacked it last night (took photos but as luck would have it left the cam @ home.

Tested it with Reflex XTR as thatís what i had loaded and it works nearly perfectly, having a bit of an issue changing to the full screen mode which I donít get with the legit cable attached but Iím sure given a bit more time i'll figure out what itís doing.

Setup was straight forward, just needed to re-calibrate the centres and then map the correct channels to the correct surfaces.

Once thing i really like is that the dongle uses the programming of the model memory of the Tx, in the past i could fly helis and planes using a single model on the Tx, could be a neat feature if i can setup a SIM model to behave like my real models.

So far so good, the device is very well constructed, appears to be PIC based, although i have not as yet taken the covers off to get a good look.

Will be installing the remaining packages this evening to test them out, appears as though there are some tweaks needed for Realflight though, judging by the one page translated instructions that came with it to modify one of the RF scripts.

Will also have a look for a PPM source from the chip this weekend and see what the options are for hacking it into a wireless buddy box as well, :-)

Cheers
Rob
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
hello, new here, where can I buy a ATTINY 13 MCU? thanks.
mountsou is offline Find More Posts by mountsou
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
Aircraft re-kitter
15NM from CYYZ on 06L
Joined Feb 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountsou View Post
hello, new here, where can I buy a ATTINY 13 MCU? thanks.
This one?
ATTINY13A-PU MCU AVR 1K Flash 20 MHZ 8 pin dip
http://www.bgmicro.com/attiny13a-avr.aspx

or?
ATTINY2313A-PU-MCU AVR 2K Flash 20MHZ 20 pin dip.
http://www.bgmicro.com/attiny2313a-pu.aspx
ergocentric is offline Find More Posts by ergocentric
Last edited by ergocentric; Jul 19, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:42 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Hi sorry if this has been covered already, or is a little off-topic, this is the closet search I have found to what I am looking for.

Can this chip be programmed (or has someone done it) to do the reverse, take a PPM signal and output 4-8 channels?

The reason I ask is I've been very interested in the iPhly: Open-Source R/C on the iPhone thread and would like to use the PPM out from the phone and connecting it directly (though a chip of course) to the servos for any projects where a radio Tx/Rx set is not needed.

Many thanks Dave.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
If the PPM signal is well formed, i.e. TTL levels - hard to believe how can this output from an iSomething - then you can use the shift register decoder 4017 from an obsolete FM RC receiver.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:37 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
If the PPM signal is well formed, i.e. TTL levels - hard to believe how can this output from an iSomething - then you can use the shift register decoder 4017 from an obsolete FM RC receiver.
iPhly outputs from the headphone jack through one of a variety of simple circuits in the thread, usualy a op amp or a transistor to boost the output level.

So you think the simplest way to get servo PWMs from PPM is to take receiver and inject the PPM to a pin of the decoder?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83