HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:21 AM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Sep 2009
128 Posts
Discussion
Balsa Nova 40 conversion

Ok. I did a conversion a couple years ago of a Morris Hobbies Su-do-Khoi. It was a fun plane, but its time for it to retire (from my hangar at least).

I'm in the process of moving the electric setup from the Su-do-Khoi to a Morris Hobbies Balsa Nova 40. I lucked into finding a NIB ARF on the classifieds here a few years back. My mentor in the hobby had 2 of them plus 1 or 2 Balsa Nova 1.20 versions. They just seemed to fly so smooth and precise. He could put that thing into a knife edge and fly hold it for literally the entire tank or fuel or batt (depending on which one he was flying).

Anywho, I'll post some pics up of the final assembly. Hopefully will be finished in the next couple of days. I saved the electric motor mount box from a GP Escapade. I'm going to dig it out and see if I can make it work. I'm affraid it would be nicer than anything I could build.

My cowl was cut for the SuperTiger 40 that was in it so I think I'll have to find a new one from Fiberglass Specialties.

Anywho, updates to come!
the_law_man01 is offline Find More Posts by the_law_man01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:32 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
807 Posts
My favorite plane. I sold it a few years ago and I miss it. I currently fly pattern and the BN was the closest thing you could get as a sport plane.

I used an AXi4120/18, 70 amp Jeti ESC off a 5 cell battery. The prop was a 14x8.5 although a 15x10 proved better. I ended up replacing the landing gear with the one used in the Hangar 9 Pulse 40. That was only thing which was substandard. What a great plane!

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:35 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Sep 2009
128 Posts
I also just acquired a crashed GP Big Ugly Stik 60 that I'll be putting a .90 2-stroke equivalent electric system in her. A buddy has flown a similar setup for 25 minute flight times and claims I'll want to seek the Nova off, but I doubt it. ;-)
the_law_man01 is offline Find More Posts by the_law_man01