Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,408 Posts
Help!
EV X speed control giving me fits!

My PT boat is out of commission.

For some reason the motors won't spin. I have tried programming the ESC setup several times and it won't work. The ESC is a 1st generation Traxxas EVX, I wonder if connecting two LiPo battery packs was too much voltage. Approx. 16V versus 14. It didn't smoke, I can get the LED for programming, but it won't hold. I did get the motors to turn after several tries, but the shafts were squealing. So I shut it down to lube them. Turned it back on and again the motors do not work. Tried the setup programming a bunch of times and it just won't work. Bummer.

Any ideas?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2015, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,844 Posts
Sorry to hear the ESC is giving you trouble.

But the motors run, and a different ESC will run the motors?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 23, 2015, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
24,408 Posts
I have not tried another ESC yet Aimee. But that is the plan. Just can't do it before going to the lake tomorrow. A lot of electronics are stuffed inside too, so it will be a job. The LiPo batteries were a last minute effort to get the boat running, because my old NiMh batteries would not hold a charge. And I am concerned that might be a contributing factor. So I will have to buy new NiMh batteries as well, or else just a LiPo capable brushed motor ESC.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,844 Posts
Mtroniks Tio perhaps.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 23, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
24,408 Posts
I'll check them out.
Old May 23, 2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
3,988 Posts
KMOT- The only effect with the LI-PO batteries on the speed control would be if the voltage of the batteries exceeds the input voltage of the speed control. Also I think that the BEC section of the speed control operates off one of the NI-MH pack of batteries so if you exceeded the voltage of the BEC circuit you could have lunched the circuit.

To test hook up NI-MH batteries and turn on speed control. Your motor does not have to be hooked up for this test, and see if you get power to the receiver to operate a steering servo. If it does not work, you burned out the BEC circuit in the speed control. You can run with an external BEC unit to power up the receiver. With power to the receiver, you may still have a good speed control and can test by hooking up your motor and trying to run it as normal.

M.A.C.K. Products carries an external BEC circuit in stock. Part #L27X5
http://www.mackproductsrc.com/radios_p2.htm

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old May 23, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
3,988 Posts
KMOT- The only effect with the LI-PO batteries on the speed control would be if the voltage of the batteries exceeds the input voltage of the speed control. Also I think that the BEC section of the speed control operates off one of the NI-MH pack of batteries so if you exceeded the voltage of the BEC circuit you could have lunched the circuit.

To test hook up NI-MH batteries and turn on speed control. Your motor does not have to be hooked up for this test, and see if you get power to the receiver to operate a steering servo. If it does not work, you burned out the BEC circuit in the speed control.

You can run with an external BEC unit to power up the receiver. With power to the receiver, you may still have a good speed control and can test by hooking up your motor and trying to run it as normal.
M.A.C.K. Products carries an external BEC circuit in stock. Part #L27X5
http://www.mackproductsrc.com/radios_p2.htm

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old May 23, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
24,408 Posts
Thanks Rich.

The ESC still has BEC power. The steering servo works. The JJC sound modules still work. The LED on the ESC works and when pressed to do the "Setup" it changes colors and blinks like it is supposed to. But out of maybe two dozen attempts to get it working properly, only once did the motors actually run. After shutting the system down, the motors would no longer run and doing another dozen setup attempts would not enable them.

I hauled my PT boat down to Hansen Dam lake this morning in honor of Memorial Day, and attempted to do the setup again. The steerring and sound systems worked, but the motors would not enable.

This model is around 10 or more years old, and this is not the first ESC it has had. So maybe it is time to update things. I will check out the ESC as you suggested, thank you.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by micromodder
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
800 Posts
I'm still running the old Evx 2 in my nimh Summit, I bought one the first year the truck was available.

The esc will enter a shutdown if its powered up when the trim isn't in neutral.I can duplicate the problem just by turning the trim knob on my Tx before plugging my batteries in.I've always just assumed that its a old way of preventing run a ways.

My Tx is a old style with trim knobs instead of being digital.If your trims are already neutral then the old esc might have a "false neutral" being slightly off from your tx.So you might need to play with your trim to find the true neutral position.

I hope that makes sense and solves your issue.Its not the batteries, I can duplicate it in my truck regardless on if I'm running traxxas nimh or 4s lipo.
micromodder is offline Find More Posts by micromodder
Old May 23, 2015, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
24,408 Posts
Thank you micromodder. I have had problems like that in the past with other Traxxas vehicles. I am using a 1st gen Spektrum DX6 with this boat so yeah digital trim. I did move the trim up and then back to "0" to try to eliminate that possibility. But this particular Tx does not have grid lines on the gimbal so I have to 'eyeball' the neutral center. However, it has not been a problem for many years up until now. But I will take your advice and play around with the trim. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by micromodder
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
800 Posts
No problem I hope it solves your problem.It probably is bec related though, messing around with the trim is just how I get it to fire up.

Let me know what solves your issue, I need to convert my Summit to 2.4ghz because I'm wanting to use it to tow a little utility wagon with my Atlantic 2 and Spartan on board at bigger club events.The last time I tried it aircraft were the only vehicles allowed to use AM/FM.I have a feeling the problems going to magnify when I switch transmitters.
micromodder is offline Find More Posts by micromodder