SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by CrashDummy
Deep in the woods of Citronelle, Al.
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Help!
50" Powerhouse

I need help. I get completely different answers from "experts" at the field. Everything from experiment with small motor and work up to larger motor to using a larger motor and fly at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle!!!! Grrrrr!!!
I've scratch-built 50" Powerhouse, silk span and dope finish. What E-flite motor, prop, controller and battery would you recommend? The model has a .09-.15 glo rating.
CrashDummy is offline Find More Posts by CrashDummy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2015, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,622 Posts
I don't use Eflite motors so cannot be specific, but my similar sized Airknocker (54") weighs 25 ounces and uses a 120 watt motor which, running from a 2S 1300 and propped with a 9" x 4.7" SF prop gives 90 watts. The performance is very adequate, so I would suggest that a combination which gives around 60 watts per pound would be fine for your model. Vintage models just do not need - or appreciate - huge excesses of power unless you are looking for a contest performance. What does your model weigh?
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 01, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by CrashDummy
Deep in the woods of Citronelle, Al.
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Sundancer
Thanks for the reply. As far as the weight is.....I have no idea. I do not have a scale, yet. The only variation from plans were 3 removable hatches and removable tail feathers. Having no scale was the main reason for this post. I was hoping maybe someone knew firsthand.
The other reason I posted: scratch-built two 48" Lazy Bees. I let the so called experts convince me I needed to install E-flite 25 motor!!! WRONG!!!!
At 1/3 throttle the bolt-on wing folded back like a butterfly going through a radiator. The rest hit the runway.....like a bullet. So much for field advice, huh?
Bill
CrashDummy is offline Find More Posts by CrashDummy
Old May 01, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
844 Posts
my Earl Stahl Fokker D8 57" span weighs 32 ounces and flies wonderfully with an EFLITE park 450 on two lipo cells......

A park 400 on three cells would work for a 50" lightweight very well....

Best Regards,

jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
Last edited by JeffMac; May 01, 2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: span
Old May 01, 2015, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
Sundancer
Thanks for the reply. As far as the weight is.....I have no idea. I do not have a scale, yet. The only variation from plans were 3 removable hatches and removable tail feathers. Having no scale was the main reason for this post. I was hoping maybe someone knew firsthand.
The other reason I posted: scratch-built two 48" Lazy Bees. I let the so called experts convince me I needed to install E-flite 25 motor!!! WRONG!!!!
At 1/3 throttle the bolt-on wing folded back like a butterfly going through a radiator. The rest hit the runway.....like a bullet. So much for field advice, huh?
Bill
A lot of radio control fliers with no experience of lighter and/or vintage models err on the side of gross over-powering. You really do need a scale, knowing the weight is where it all starts, then you can work our wing loading, power loading etc. It need not be a particularly accurate or expensive scale, anything which will work within 1/4 ounce will do,any decent set of kitchen scales will be more than good enough..
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 02, 2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,232 Posts
I have a 54" Miss 2 that flies fine with an Eflite 400 on 3 lipo cells and a 10x4.7" apc prop .At about 34oz. the Miss will jump off the ground in less than 10' and climb at a 45deg. angle.This ought to be plenty of power for what you have.The esc is a thunderbird 18 amp.Almost forgot it is the 920kv version.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Last edited by rabidrue1; May 02, 2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,232 Posts
You can find photos of the Miss2 at the hobby lobby site.I,ll get some photos of my recovered one after I fix the nose again,the niece was a bit off on landing and hit the bench at the field.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old May 03, 2015, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by cd_webb
Joined May 2009
659 Posts
Bill, your Powerhouse may be a a little bit beefier that a Veron Deacon, but as some here may remember, an Eflite 450 drug the wings off of the 52" Deacon in short order. I think the Park 400, as mentioned above, is probably more that enough motor for you. I doubt you'll ever see full throttle - or want to.

CD
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old May 04, 2015, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,340 Posts
Crash' digital scales are SO cheap these days that there's really no excuse to NOT have one. Walmart USA has an Etekcity 11lb model listed at regular $10 on sale for $8. So I'd suggest that there is NO excuse for continuing on scale'less.

Once you arrive at a target weight for model, motor and flight battery you can pick your own motor out. 60 watts per lb will give a sporty 35'ish degree climb angle. 80 watts per lb will be more like 45 to 50 with still retaining a good turn of speed. 100 watts per lb is 80 degrees to vertical. Pick your poison.

One way to pick a motor is also to put something that weighs about the same as a flight pack (you can figure this out with your new scale that you ARE going to buy, right?) and add nose weight where the motor goes until the model balances at around 35% of the chord like a Powerhouse should start with. Knowing the amount of weight you need you can buy a motor to suit. But buy one that is a little lighter and trim with some nose weight. That way you can shift the balance back once you've flown for a while and get time to run a dive test.

The brushless motors are amazing power converters. It's easy to run them at anywhere you want for power as long as they don't run too hot. So a bigger than required motor to make the model balance can run at a limited power output by fixing the pack voltage and running an undersized prop. The smaller prop will only pull so much power from the pack. Find that it's not enough and want more? Install a bigger or higher pitch prop. You can do that up to the point of the motor burning out from too heavy a load.

The Park 400's with the better power level both seem to have too high a Kv value to use on an old timer. And the one that has the right sort of Kv value might end up running a little close to the maximum power level of 140 watts depending on how you like to fly.

So that leaves me thinking that the Park 450 is a nice option. It's pretty light and has the right power limit and Kv value for running with a 9 to 10 inch prop and not run too hot.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews