Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by Aerogance
U down with EPP? Ya u know me
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
3,251 Posts
Discussion
New ds spot: Drye Hump

I have been wanting to do a trek up to Drye Hump for a few years now, but it seemed like I was always on the injured list when the Santa Ana season rolled around. Today I had time and the wind was good so I went for it.

Drye Hump faces Northeast and has a 600 foot front. The back looks tight on Google Earth but it is actually huge with a defined shear and a ton of power. Because the hill is so much higher than the surrounding terrain, there is quite a bit more wind and the wind is cleaner. Today I measured 25-40 mph where the local sensor was reading 26-38. This is good, the hill is at least as strong as the sensor. It is not unusual to see local sensor readings of 65mph during a good Santa Ana.

I flew my light JW and quickly got it to flutter speed. I flew my heavier Sonic with ease and then flew my 70 oz JW. The 70 oz JW was booming, but I had to end my flight short when a tramper appeared on the ridge where I was diving in.

The launch is very easy. At the East part of the ridge is a steep and grassy frontside area that you could launch any plane from. Landing is like Weldon where you approach the hump from the right and just cruise in to a nice grassy area. There are a couple of well placed rocks but overall there are no rocks. There is a more laminar landing area on the western portion of the hump. It should be cake to land anything here.

Even flying on the front was great. The lift is huge so I was able to do gigantic pumps with the Sonic. There is so much grass on the back of the hill that I think it would be easy and safe to do a backside landing there.

The hike took me 30 minutes. I was going a bit slow because I am recovering from a pulled calf muscle and shin splints. I think a fit hiker would knock it out in 20-25 minutes. A mountain bike would really shorten the trip, especially heading back out.

Right now the whole area is green. Palo Comado canyon is gorgeous. I looks like Hobbiton right now, hard to believe such an amazing place is tucked away right there. Pictures don't do it justice and it was worth the effort just to see it.

Local sensor is here.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:42 AM
Find More Posts by gizzo
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,310 Posts
So......not such a Drye Hump after all, then? Sounds like it delivered the goods.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo