New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by suxi
Open Source It!
Joined May 2013
230 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone for explaining the different power options. And thank you for pointing out to remove the jumper when using a power module.
Geoff, I didn't know a channel pass through was possible. That seems to be the best solution. What do you mean by splitting the power load between 2 sources? ESC for all servos and power module for apm and receiver?

happy returns

suxi
suxi is offline Find More Posts by suxi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
1,851 Posts
Yes, and that will happen normally if you remove the jumper, have the power module and an ESC or BEC on the servo rail. Just don't short the two back together via the power bus of your receiver or something.

The main point of the power module is to provide clean, filtered power to the APM which doesn't have noise on it from servos and other loads.

As I mentioned over in the Dragonlink thread, another option is to power your DL Receiver from the BEC/ESC/Servo rail of the APM and connect the servos there. In that case, you'd remove the middle wire of the PPM cable from your receiver to the APM. You'd also remove the top (signal) wire for the power connection between the servo rail and the DL rx.

If it's not clear, all of the ground pins on the servo rail are connected together. The same goes for the power pins and likewise the respective pins on the Dragonlink RX. So, connecting power and ground to any two of them will work.
Noircogi is offline Find More Posts by Noircogi
Last edited by Noircogi; May 23, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suxi View Post
Thanks a lot everyone for explaining the different power options. And thank you for pointing out to remove the jumper when using a power module.
Geoff, I didn't know a channel pass through was possible. That seems to be the best solution. What do you mean by splitting the power load between 2 sources? ESC for all servos and power module for apm and receiver?

happy returns

suxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi View Post
Yes, and that will happen normally if you remove the jumper, have the power module and an ESC or BEC on the servo rail. Just don't short the two back together via the power bus of your receiver or something.

The main point of the power module is to provide clean, filtered power to the APM which doesn't have noise on it from servos and other loads.

As I mentioned over in the Dragonlink thread, another option is to power your DL Receiver from the BEC/ESC/Servo rail of the APM and connect the servos there. In that case, you'd remove the middle wire of the PPM cable from your receiver to the APM. You'd also remove the top (signal) wire for the power connection between the servo rail and the DL rx.

If it's not clear, all of the ground pins on the servo rail are connected together. The same goes for the power pins and likewise the respective pins on the Dragonlink RX. So, connecting power and ground to any two of them will work.

suxi, yes exactly right on splitting the power between the two sources.
For the rest, Noircogi has it covered

Just a note RCPassThru is only valid on CH5 and up.
http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/ardu...n_rc5_function

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by flipflap
Joined Mar 2009
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Hmmm, I would leave the power module in place, remove the jumper, connect the servos to the output rail and set the 2 channels for those servos to pass-through in APM parameters. More complicated but then you retain the voltage and current sensor aspect of the power module and split the power load between 2 sources.

Cheers,
Geoff
Good idea, I didn't think about the pass-through.
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
Good idea, I didn't think about the pass-through.
I use it on my Bixler2 for my pan servo. I have a RMRC 7amp bec on the output rail powering 7 servos and a 3amp low noise bec on the input side to power the APM, MinimOSD, telemetry radio and rx. I don't use the power module at all, instead I opted for the separate voltage and current sensor.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by suxi
Open Source It!
Joined May 2013
230 Posts
Thank you guys. That helped big time! My two gimbal servos are currently assigned to ch5 and 6 so I should be fine.

Have a great Sunday!
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by jlander
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Feb 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Flipflap, thanks al lot for the fast reply. So my idea of additionally connecting 5V and ground from the ESC the receiver wont work?
I don't know if anyone has already answere this question, so I'll tel you what I do. When I connect my receiver via ppm, I strip off the +5v wire and then connect a BEC +5v and ground to another channel on the receiver. This will prevent receiver brown outs.
jlander is offline Find More Posts by jlander
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by suxi
Open Source It!
Joined May 2013
230 Posts
Sooooo ... removed the jumper, updated ArduPlane to 3.3.0, configured passthrough for channels 5 and 6 and everything works like I dreamed it would ;-)

Again, thanks for your help!

@jlander, why would that be necessary? In my setup the receiver and APM should now get their clean power from the power module. All servos are getting their power from the ESC. So a brownout because of servos overloading the ESC should not be possible, should it?

Happy flying

suxi
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Sooooo ... removed the jumper, updated ArduPlane to 3.3.0, configured passthrough for channels 5 and 6 and everything works like I dreamed it would ;-)

Again, thanks for your help!

@jlander, why would that be necessary? In my setup the receiver and APM should now get their clean power from the power module. All servos are getting their power from the ESC. So a brownout because of servos overloading the ESC should not be possible, should it?

Happy flying

suxi
Nope, you should be golden at this point There are lots of different ways to power the APM, rx, sensors and servos though, nice to have that flexibility

@suxi, how about some pictures/details of your aircraft?

Cheers,
Geoff