Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by wrightme
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,055 Posts
Discussion
Rocket noob

I went to XPRS on the 15th of sep, and think I may have a problem. I already ordered the Aerotech Initiator setup, a Strong Arm, and both the 24/40 and 29/40-120 reloadable motors.

I saw a Discovery show a while back, and heard through a side-channel about the ARLISS/XPRS event in the Black Rock Desert, and realized that it was only 2 hours away. Cool stuff for sure.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by ttabbal
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,769 Posts
Welcome, it's great fun.

I need to make it down to XPRS sometime, and if you want to come visit my home turf, pop on up to Hellfire out on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Always some great stuff to see flying out there.

My current insanity is getting into R/C aircraft with the intention of going to R/C rocket gliders. I'm almost good enough at it to start building one. You ordered some good stuff, Aerotech's reloadables have a ton of support, particularly at those sizes, and you can get loads at most any rocket event. The 29/40-120 is probably my most used case, and I have a Level 2 cert and fly K motors.

Try the green G motor, it's a great kick.

Oh, common rookie mistake, when assembling the delay charge, make sure the spacer has the open end toward the nozzle, NOT the ejection charge. Doing it wrong will result in blowing the seal at the top of the motor and probably burning your rocket. If you're going to do that, do it with a 24mm load, not the 54mm J load I did it with.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,055 Posts
I actually had good information, as the director of ops of Aerotech was manning a booth, and he also put together the motors for the 104k ft launch rocket of the 11th.

He gave me the catalog, the rest was interweb research, and the ole credit card.

Yeah, I saw the charge chart with the Mojave Green and others, looking forward to some of those.

BAR had a booth, and yes, reloads were in GREAT abundance at the event.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by scatsob
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Welcome to the madness!! Rocketry is a great hobby and we need more people. Just watch out, Black Rock changes you. Somehow after going to XPRS and BALLS your projects will grow in complexity and cost.

scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Oh, common rookie mistake, when assembling the delay charge, make sure the spacer has the open end toward the nozzle, NOT the ejection charge. Doing it wrong will result in blowing the seal at the top of the motor and probably burning your rocket. If you're going to do that, do it with a 24mm load, not the 54mm J load I did it with.
GREAT advise. Its funny, that is exactly what I did on my first I284 which is what I used for my Level 1. Plowed my Tomahawk straight in.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
GREAT advise. Its funny, that is exactly what I did on my first I284 which is what I used for my Level 1. Plowed my Tomahawk straight in.
At least it's not just me.

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
At least it's not just me.

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Yeah, I just think I was not paying attention to the directions. Now I think the only way to go is electronic recovery. Using the motor is horribly unreliable and not a good idea if you value your rocket. That said my dad and I probably have a few hundred flights on 54mm motors from the J275 to the K700 using the motor ejection and never had one problem. Lost two on 38mm motors though.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I just think I was not paying attention to the directions. Now I think the only way to go is electronic recovery. Using the motor is horribly unreliable and not a good idea if you value your rocket. That said my dad and I probably have a few hundred flights on 54mm motors from the J275 to the K700 using the motor ejection and never had one problem. Lost two on 38mm motors though.
I'm a fan of dual deploy setups. I usually put the charge in the motor as well, and use it as a backup for the apogee charge.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to the madness!! Rocketry is a great hobby and we need more people. Just watch out, Black Rock changes you. Somehow after going to XPRS and BALLS your projects will grow in complexity and cost.
Nice rockets!

I heard about BALLS when I was at XPRS on the 15th, but had enough going on saturday already. And, it was $60.00 even to just be there to spectate. The $10.00 for a day of XPRS was not too bad.

Having to stop multiple times because I couldn't see out the SIDE window in the blowing dust on the way off the playa was a bit much.

Yes, it was that bad in my car. I could keep moving a little, even after not being able to see the tracks in front, as long as I could still see the ground through the side window....until I couldn't.