HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
Question
Modela brand CO2 motor

Anybody know if these things are worth their cost? I'm super interested in picking up a CO2 motor, but I'm having a hard time gathering any info on them. The Gasparin motors seem to be the highest quality, but they're spendy, so I was hoping to find a less expensive alternative to try before I plunk down the cash for one. Most older models like the Brown A-23 seem incomplete or don't come with charging equipment, which makes the motors useless to me.

However, if the adage of "buy once, cry once" applies heavily here, I'll just wait and get a Gasparin. Also, are the G-MOT line related to Gasparin in terms of quality, etc? The G-120 doesn't look bad, either.

On a related note, if anyone has any CO2 motors they're looking to part with, I'd be happy to discuss giving them a new home for a reasonable cost or trade.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:09 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,559 Posts
I believe G-MOT are mass produced versions of Gasparin designs. The ones I have are excellent quality.

Never used a Modela so I can't help with that.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:58 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,419 Posts
The Modela I've got packed away is a workable motor. But it's not the sort of thing that make you smile with pride of ownership or over the high detailing on it. It's a basic mass produced "lump" that runs well enough without doing anything at all outstanding.

If you're familiar with the mostly plastic Shark motor that came out of England many years ago the Modela motor and accessories are on par for materials, design and quality with the Modela being somewhat larger in displacement.

Along with the Gasparin if you should manage to find an older Telco motor and accessories on sale I would not pass it by. The Telco was a mostly metal motor that is only a step down from the Gasparins in terms of materials and details that make you smile. Meanwhile the Shark and Modela are about half way down the flight of stairs on the quality/eye candy range where the cheap and cheezy all plastic compressed air Air Hog motor is at the bottom of the stair case.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
I don't know where you looked at Gasparin but Blacksheep still has some available.

http://www.blacksheepsquadron.com/

I had 3 Gmots up to last year and they were nice motors, 2 GM63s and a 120. I'd get a nozzle that fits a paintball tank if you get one. Much nicer than the Sodastream route. One nice thing about the Gasparins is you can always turn around and sell them for what you paid.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:52 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
Steve, thanks for the input. I had a hunch that such was the case with the G-MOT stuff. They all still look quality to me!

Sir Matthews, also as I suspected. I'm not familiar with the Shark line, but the Modelas look like a basic, mass-produced option as you suggest. Workable is fine with me at this point, but we'll see what I can find. I've been burned before buying lesser-quality products for other hobbies, so I'm leaning towards the "buy once" already. That being said, perhaps I could find a way to get both, and learn on the Modela? That way if I blow out an o-ring learning to fill the thing, or magically fly a model OOS, my loss is far less! There are a few Telcos on eBay, but none come with charging equipment, so again, I'd have to track down what I needed. That being said, if I could find what I needed to build a charging setup to run off an old 9oz Co2 tank I have, the lack of charging gear becomes a moot point for any of them. I'd have to draw heavily on whatever experience there is here to guide me in building such a setup, though.

Bill, I've looked at BSS, but their prices seem highly inflated. They may be worth paying for a G-10 or one of the other, much smaller and harder to find models, but I'm seeing G-24s and G-28s on eBay for significantly less. That's part of why I asked, really. The Gasparin motors I'm interested in are going for twice the cost of the Modela, but the total isn't absolutely unreasonable for what they are, I suppose. But still far less than BlackSheepSquadron has their limited stock listed at.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:31 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
If you can stretch it, I'd wait for a Gasparin. You can see some of my experiences here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677986
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=13537.0
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...hp?board=104.0

In the second link, you'll see where I was able to get the G-24 flying (multiple videos included). The motor has performed far better than I would have expected. I don't know if lesser brands would do this.

If you click on the third link, you will find a thread called "Control Line...with a Gasparin". In post #7, I wrote: "I bought this twin from a gentleman on RCG for about $70 shipped. You really just have to keep an eye out. My Cox .020 w/ Davis Diesel conversion head was found on the auction site for about $55. My second motor, the G-24 was stolen from the auction site because it was misnamed. It sold for $25 in only the nose of an old plane. I snagged a Brown CO2 a week ago without the capsule holder for $10.24 shipped. Believe me, I fly on a budget...but I've still caught the illness! It's very possible to find these for cheap if you spend the time to really look.

If you would like any pictures of the engines listed above, please don't hesitate to ask for them.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:22 AM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Mar 2005
281 Posts
If you're new to CO2, I'd get a G-Mot120, mount it upright on a sport model with the engine totally exposed and the tank also exposed. The 120 is a good size to make adjustments to if needed for various speed ranges and a good size on which to familiarize yourself with CO2 operation. I wouldn't go smaller than a G-Mot 63 if this is your first motor. As mentioned, G-Mot's are just mass produced Gasparins. The prices on ebay for a new one are very reasonable for what you get. Blacksheep Squadron prices have always been greatly inflated.

Most of the older Czech plans that I have show Modela as the motor. This was before Gasparin/G-Mot started producing a lot of motors. I think they were made from various materials just as the Telco's were. Some are better than others.

Bruce
PietenpolAC is offline Find More Posts by PietenpolAC
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
Well, I won a Brown A-23 off "the auction site" for a respectable price. It doesn't have a charger, so my next quest is to figure that out. I'd like to go the paintball tank route, since 9oz tanks are cheap around here last I knew, but would happily settle for an 8g/12g charger if anybody has one lying around. I may still get the Modela as a cheaper learning motor as well, we'll see. A Gasparin is also on my list, but it'll have to wait just a wee bit now. I'd rather toy with the Brown (and possibly the Modela) a bit since they'd be a much smaller loss if I screw up somewhere along the way! There's a real neat G-10T up for auction as well that I'd LOVE to have, but it's too rich for my wallet right now.

I opted for the Brown after reading numerous favorable comments here and at the Hippocket forums. They don't come off as refined as the Gasparins, but all the comments say they're reliable and strong running little motors.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,958 Posts
Here's an article on Bill Brown, scanned from Air Trails, May 1948

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:13 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
And Bill Brown in latter years:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/BrownJr.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:59 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,325 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys! That's pretty sweet that Brown had the A-100 being produced by engineering students and the like!

My A-23 should be in the mail, just gotta get home and find out. I'm anxious to see if it has the 1.5mm or 2mm charging adapter, so I can try to find one. I also managed to get an old Telco on the Classifieds, as well as a Russian DP-03 (along with the Junior 451 model it fits) from MIKEYOUR. I'm excited to get them running soon!